cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Onan 12K's in Moho's have an easy access 240 cnction

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. I am helping someone setup their built in EVSE for their electric vehicle charging station on their motorhome. It has (I believe) a 12k onan genny. He would like to setup something like we have with ours but would like to use the full capability of his Juice Box 40 amp EVSE for his EV. (Either a BMWi3 Rex or a Chevy Bolt). We have only a 7.5K Onan in our Revolution so it is only 120 volt so it takes a lot longer to charge the car (like 6 times longer). Both of the cars he is looking at are 7.2 KW (I believe) chargers so the'll pull 32 amps. I will be looking for an easy point to wire in an additional Nema 14-50 on the front of the coach as he will use a front compartment to mount the EVSE something we have in our picture below. They do a little dry camping seasonally and this will give them options if there are no DCFC facilities close to where they are. So any body played with their Onan 12K lately?

Thanks in advance

John

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.
15 REPLIES 15

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look for a junction box between the genset and the rig's wiring to transfer switch. This is commonly at the rig's end of the flexible conduit.
You could tap at this location. You would need a circuit breaker to protect the receptacle then run to EVSE receptacle.
This should be a 120/240 four wire circuit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker