cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you carry a jack? If so what kind.

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 30ft Class C on the Ford E450 chassis. It does have a spare tire carried under the coach.
While I do have road service available what if I have a flat and don't have cell phone coverage??

Now I'm thinking maybe a jack wouldn't be a bad idea.
Looks like I'll need something around 15,000 lbs.
Any suggestions??
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF
34 REPLIES 34

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a Harbor Freight 20ton low profile bottle jack, 3/4 socket, extension, and breaker bar. I also carry a piece of steel pipe to go over 3/4 breaker bar for added leverage, several pieces of 2x6 boards for spacers, and what not.

It's a bi#$% pumping the jack when you are crawled under the rig!! Depending on your age and health....it can give you a heart attack or at the very least a hernia!! That's why I carry the 20ton as the craking effort is less than a lower rated jack.

I carry these items for the same reasons you are contemplating...lack of cell service or availability of tow truck service.

I just used these tools as I needed to remove the wheels to install new mudflaps....everything worked great!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Go on Ebay, find a Sprinter jack, they have a curved saddle on the top and are two stage, 6 ton (metric ton). If you have a Sprinter chassis MH you have a jack under the passengers feet. Pull up the mat, unlatch the plastic cover and there is a jack, lug wrench (too short to be of any use), and a screwdriver handle with a reversible Torx bit and a couple of other bits. If you have a 2500 single rear wheel with factory aluminum wheels, there will be a set of the proper lug BOLTS for the steel spare, as the longer lug BOLTS for the aluminum wheels, when used with the steel one, will go in far enough on the rear to destroy the parking brake shoes and hardware.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Rovin__Bones
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my used 24' Class C it had a 20-ton hydraulic bottle jack tucked into the storage area under the dinette bench. When I discovered it, I was like, "DAYUM!" Made me very happy to see that. :B
1983 24' Midas Freeport. Chevy 350 mated to a TH400 transmission on a GM G30 chassis and a spiffy Onan 4kw genset.

!*NEW Blog page*!
Rovin' Bones

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
ericsmith32 wrote:
Got a low profile 12 ton from Harbor Freight last year. When there's another warm spell going to rotate the tires on the RV, that'll be it's yearly exercise. Whatever you have make you exercise it on occasion.

I did the same. I agree with the "exercise" and I spray some light lube around the ram and the pump rod periodically to keep rust at bay. This jack fits under the axle fine with enough room for a plank under the jack for soft ground.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
Got a low profile 12 ton from Harbor Freight last year. When there's another warm spell going to rotate the tires on the RV, that'll be it's yearly exercise. Whatever you have make you exercise it on occasion.
2005 Jayco Escapade 28ZSLP (3500 Chevy chassis)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed_Gee wrote:
A lot of class C Motorhomes I have seen have leveling jacks that could easily pressed into service for tire repair. Doesn't yours?

A lot may have leveling jacks, but a lot more do not. Mine, at least, is one of the ones that do not. Given the weight of a set installed, I think I prefer having the payload for other uses.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Laying on the hot/wet/dirty ground was something I had not planned for, a light bulb lit and I grabbed the windshield shade as a ground cover. Made an uncomfortable job a little more pleasant.

Norm's 2 cents
F1BNorm

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of class C Motorhomes I have seen have leveling jacks that could easily pressed into service for tire repair. Doesn't yours?
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
All the jacks have small tops. I welded a jack stand top on the top of my bottle Jack, which makes me think it is less likely to slip off the rear axel or front jacking bar. I would prefer a jack with larger base and top.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
To get the wheel loose try loosen the lug nuts maybe one turn then drive your mh a few feet, that will loosen the wheel.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I like a low profile one that I can get in a tight spot. MY Class C is fairly close to the ground One like this one fits the bill
If I ever have a good reason to replace my 6 ton bottle jack, I would get the one IAMICHABOD recommends.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only RV flat I've had was a left rear outer dual tire. Old 1983 E350 with coined wheels, so removing the outer also loosened the inner, as with most newer models. This was in the days "before I knew better" and I jacked it with the left rear leveling jack. The old coaches had a control lever for each corner, and I only raised the one jack. No damage from the jacking, but the fender trim was broken up. That old coach was nice, the spare was in a "Continental Kit" right in the middle of the bumper.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
"That is why I added a remote hand pump to my hydraulic jack. I still have to crawl under to place the jack. But I'm out to the side when pumping the jack up."

That is a good idea to be sure but you missed my point completely. When you are trying to wrestle/pull that inner dually off of the axle you will be head and shoulders up inside of the wheel well. If the jack fails at that point without a jack stand you are well and truly.... in a world of hurt. This has nothing to do with sliding the jack under the axle and pumping it up.

Hate to be the harbinger of doom and gloom but stuff happens... plan for the worst and hope for the best. Be safe out there.

:C

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen