cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you exercise your generator in the winter?

AndyW
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you exercise your generator monthly during the winter? Obviously this only applies to those who have to winterize and store your unit...

I bought my first RV right at the end of the season last year, and figured I'd winterize the engine and generator the same way I've done every other gasoline engine I've owned (including, ironically, generators). Fill the fuel tank, add fuel stabilizer, run for 30 minutes, park it, then pull the batteries to store indoors. In spring, charge and re-install the batteries, start, and run until warm. Never had a problem leaving something sit unused for up to 6 months with this approach.

Now every time I read that generators are supposed to be run every month I feel that I'm not taking proper care of my stuff. Unnecessary cold starts in the dead of winter can't be the best for engine longevity either. What does everyone else do?
58 REPLIES 58

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Yup minimum of once a month. Every other week if really cold out.
And always turn something on so it's under load why running.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
After having owned all 3 types, gas, diesel and now propane, it's not that big a deal with the propane, no liquids there except the lubricating oil.
Now the diesel and gas are a different story, especially the gas one. Even if you put Stabil or whatever you use, the gas starts going bad right away and creating a gum up situation in the carb.
On our gas one I'd run it for about an hour every 6 weeks with a load and no issues after 3 years. The diesel one I did the same, maybe running it a bit less. Both tanks were loaded up with plenty of fuel treatment in the late fall, and I always filled the gas one with straight gas, not ethanol mix on the last fillup. The diesel I filled with straight diesel, not bio.
Our current propane unit only gets started and run when we need it, and after 2 years, no issues.
Yes I realize Onan says to maintain the warranty, this needs to be done....
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I added a switch to the electric fuel pump. Now when I know that I'm not going to use it again for quite some time I run it for a while to get it warm, then turn the fuel pump off and let it run out of gas. Been doing that for several years.

ronfisherman
Mine is done monthly. Have it programmed into my Google calendar. Sends me a email when it's time.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I don't even exercise myself n the winter.
The genny's on its own. 😉

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I run mine every month or two depending the weather. If it is too cold, I wait until it warms up a bit.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yup, once a month, turn on the 1500W heater, the two lights that I have left that haven't been converted to LED, the TV & DVD, put in a movie & occasionally put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, and kick back. The dog loves it. ( Or maybe it's just the popcorn he loves) :B
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I do what you have always done. 5 years now with onan gen. Run with Sea Foam
in the fall prior to storing, leave it sit for the whole winter. Have not had
any problems in the spring with it.

Brian

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
No.

If it's parked in Alaska, it's up near Fkbs and it puts more wear and tear on it in that cold to try and start it every month than it's worth. If it's in the States, it's in storage and a long ways away from me. It's never parked more than three months at a time and while I'm using it, it gets several hours on it every week.
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Yes every 4-5 weeks.

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
I do, I run my with a 1500 watt heater plugged into it to put some load on the generator. I have a 3200W diesel gen so the 1500W heater puts some load on it. I also start the MH and take it for a couple of hour drive up the road and down. I want drive it enough so I can get a regen in if it needs it also, as it is diesel also.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I exercise my generator each month while in storage. Usually run it for 1 1/2 to 2 hours with some kind of a load on it. Have always done this.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YEP......
But my generator is also used as 'back up power' for house (fridge & lights)

Generators like to be run.....good for stator, good for rotor and keeps carb clear.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. Every month. Per the Onan manual they want you to run it w/ some load for 2 hours a month if its not really used at all.

Which is basically what I have to do since I ONLY really NEED to use it when I'm underway to keep the fridge cold. I always camp w/ full hookups.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV