cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use RV Consumer Group for motorhome ratings?

HOM
Explorer
Explorer
Have you used RV Consumer Group for motor home ratings? The website is

http://www.rv.org

When I went to the site I had hoped to see a couple sample reviews of a couple coaches, but if its there I didn't find it. That surprised me a little because a membership to RV Consumer Group is $135.00 and you would think they would want to show what you get for your money.

Thank you,

HJ
13 REPLIES 13

Foodsman
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Stan, very balanced and thought provoking, I appreciate your post!

J-Rooster made a point that I felt is really telling and that's "my RV research brought me to Winnebago!". I was just thinking the other day that I hardly ever here the name "Winnebago" and you confirmed what I thought and that's Winnebago was the first motorhome!

Interesting conversation...

Stanmawyer
Explorer
Explorer
Jenny,
I found the RV Consumer Group of no value whatsoever! I already have a trouble free high quality coach, but am starting to look ahead to getting a newer one. I purchased the service. I incorrectly thought that the Consumer Group would provide factual detail that would assist me in deciding upon another Heritage or a King Aire. They simply don't do that.

So that leaves the other alternatives...

I find that among owners of high end products, the typical owner becomes an ambassador for his product, perhaps because the product is so good.?? I really don't know. The only owners I've met who "bad mouth" their high end coaches were previous Prevost owners who had moved to Newell's. Yes, I have met three such owners. ( all claimed electrical problems were constant)

I also find that within blogs like this one, owners of X Coach are remarkably critical of those who purchase the more pricey Y Coach. They feel that the additional costs are not justified by higher horsepower, higher torque, heavier, more sturdy chassis, extra creature comforts, better finishes, etc. ( you might also hear the "experts" point out that their Chrysler is equal to or better that the Mercedes, which is criminally overpriced.

The bottom line seems to be to set your own requirements, then using FACTS, find the coaches which fill those well considered personal requirements. After that, use your gut to select the coach you feel the strongest about.
All the Best,
Captain Stan
2006 American Heritage 600HP

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a book and CD Rom that had a program on it that I could use to evaluate RVs. The material was useful and led me to Lazy Daze with which I am happy. However, I make the following observations...

1) The material was dated. The book had old photographs of RVs as an example.

2) They do not actually buy and test RVs like Consumer Reports does with cars.

3) They place a lot of emphasis on safety which is good and got me focused on thinking about that. However, I'm not sure there is much difference safety wise between Brand A and Brand B. They like to think there is but I doubt it.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
No, my RV research brought me to Winnebago! They have been making RV's longer than any other RV manufactures, and there still in business so I figured they must make a outstanding product.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I think the owner is a member here and I am waiting for his response.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
anyone can send me only $100 and I will tell them that either Arctic Fox or Lazy Daze are good units.
bumpy

FrontRangeRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Consumer Group does not set foot in, test drive, look at, rent, or touch any unit they "rate". It's one of the biggest scams in history!
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
SOLD 2006 Winnebago Voyage 35A (was a GREAT unit)

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
They do not do any testing. They mathematical formula and try to convince you that suspension components are of little value. Not TRUE.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
I used them when I bought my Arctic Fox in 2000 and again when I bought my Lazy Daze. I could not find any other source that did not have a vested interest in their opinion.
Owners tend to give opinions that reinforce their purchase decision. How many of us are willing to admit to an expensive mistake?
Owners groups tend to be fan boys and rarely talk about things they don't like about their purchase decision. Again, to reinforce their choice.

As you say, they surely don't buy one of every RV being made. Who could possibly afford that.

Oh well. Like a lot of other things, you pay your money and take your chances.

Question. Of the amount you are contemplating spending, what percent of that figure is $135? Pretty small I bet. Maybe .000001%

Enjoy your choice. The lifestyle is fun.
🙂

HOM
Explorer
Explorer
That is great information TechWriter, thank you! Is Consumers Report any good for MotorCoach reviews?

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I bought their stuff several years ago. It was interesting and I learned some things, but overall I don't think the RV Consumer Group ratings are worth what you pay.

My issue with this group is their methodology -- how exactly do they come up with their ratings? I've only found vague references like "factory visits". I'm sure they don't use the Consumer Reports method of actually buying and hands-on testing of every RV they rate.

On the other hand, when you pose a question like "What do you think of XXX brand RV?" on forums, you typically get answers like "Mine is good".

For me, I've found two pretty reliable sources of RV info:

(1) Brand User Groups -- from my experience, members on Newmar, Country Coach, Foretravel, etc specific groups (see Yahoo Groups) are usually more candid about their brands than a general forum like this.

(2) NHTSA Recall Database -- the entire ODI (Office of Defects Investigation) database can be downloaded. I did this several years ago when I was looking for an RV. After examining manufacturer recall records, I eliminated several brands.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
NO
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes I did years ago. It was invaluable with the information given, since I was new to RV buying. It gave me quite a bit of insight, and lead me to purchase a really great RV, that was trouble free.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.