cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a C-7 Ac compressor bypass pulley exist?

Coach_Cleats
Explorer
Explorer
I never use my dash a/c. Compressor froze and snapped my serp belt. Had a new AC compressor installed and was informed of leaks in the ac lines and that unless the refrigerant is present in the system that this compressor would also freeze up.
My question: Is there a bypass/substituent pulley that can be installed in place of the compressor?
2004 Safari Cheetah 36 PDD, 03 Wrangler Sahara Toad W/Buddy Brake.
Denise and Bob 70 Years as Teachers!
Kodi D'dog'.
About to play as long as we worked.
Senior Softball! What a blast. Nothing is routine!
7 REPLIES 7

Coach_Cleats
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. It appears to me that the best solution is to unplug the electrical compressor wire. Yes!
2004 Safari Cheetah 36 PDD, 03 Wrangler Sahara Toad W/Buddy Brake.
Denise and Bob 70 Years as Teachers!
Kodi D'dog'.
About to play as long as we worked.
Senior Softball! What a blast. Nothing is routine!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct.

I ASSUMED that the bearings would be OK since this is a new compressor.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
Yup, just unplug the compressor clutch wire at the compressor and tape it off.

X2 unless the clutch is locked up. If it is, you have to take the snap ring off the front of the clutch housing and remove the clutch innards. Then return the housing. It should just "spin".

Well, not quite, if the bearing is lunched, it will not turn, and if the compressor is lunched, it will burn the belt off. Its not that most shops are looking for "Free Money" its more that they are covering their asses if the repair needs more that the estimate. You never know, without getting into it, just what the problem really is. I have had people come in, from out of town, with this problem and bids of more than the vehicle was worth, and had to use a cold chisel and hammer to get the clutch off for a temp. repair.
Wildmanbaker

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
wolfe10 wrote:

X2 unless the clutch is locked up. If it is, you have to take the snap ring off the front of the clutch housing and remove the clutch innards. Then return the housing. It should just "spin".
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
If the clutch is disengaged due to low charge level there is no risk of the compressor locking up. The compressor only spins when the electric clutch is engaged, otherwise the compressor is not turning, the clutch is just spinning on it's internal bearing. So you got some bad information there....

Yeah for sure. Wonder why? The bad information from an ac shop, that is and am assuming that's where it came from.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
If the clutch is disengaged due to low charge level there is no risk of the compressor locking up. The compressor only spins when the electric clutch is engaged, otherwise the compressor is not turning, the clutch is just spinning on it's internal bearing. So you got some bad information there....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad