Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does this happen to anyone else

late_bloomer
Explorer
Explorer
two things
first: we spend a ton of cash for our coach so we can have awesome camping vacations, and then DW wants to take vacations doing everything but camping.

second: when we actually do schedule a camping vacation, it ends up being the absolute worst weather of the season. It's been raining all week, with no end in sight!
I got here as quick as I could.
35 REPLIES 35

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
late bloomer wrote:
two things
first: we spend a ton of cash for our coach so we can have awesome camping vacations, and then DW wants to take vacations doing everything but camping.

second: when we actually do schedule a camping vacation, it ends up being the absolute worst weather of the season. It's been raining all week, with no end in sight!

Pull a Nancy Reagan and just say NO!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Executive wrote:
When it's raining outside, what would you do in the stix n brix that you can't do in the motor home..:h:h:h. IMO, the motor home is just a small home that you can move around the country. No nasty neighbors and no yard work, plus with the coach you CAN move the house where it ISN'T raining.....just sayin...Dennis

There's several things that come to mind. My wife can have all the space in the house, including her sewing/quilting rooms and the front porch. And, I can have space in our big 3-car garage (which has TV, my tools, workbench, welding equipment, fishing gear and boat). There's plenty for me to do there. Also, I can go into my man cave (a motorhome parked in the backyard).
I love my wife, and I try to only say nice things about her. But, there's times when I need MY space. If she wants to do things with her friend, she jumps in her car and goes.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem with having a payment for 12 months and only getting to use it 6 months.In Ohio it snows and the coach gets stored under grandstand at fair ground for 5 months till spring.We have camped since 1994 so this is our 21 years . We started in a pop up then trailer then a Class C and two Class A .She does not like to cook so we do breakfast and dinner at the camper then eat out every night.I door all the out side set up and help set up on the inside.I have over the years tried to help her out as much as I can . When getting ready to go she is inside and I bring the food to the door so she can pack it. When we get home I help her un load everything and bring in the big bag of clothes that need cleaning.We just got back from a 2,500 mile round trip to Naples and the keys. We still work but we broke up the trip down and back to 400 mile days . Leaving campground at 9.00 am and getting off the road at 5.00 pm.We use to drive 12 hr days to get to Myrtle Beach to visit our daughter but no more 12 hr days for us.It seemed to help her as she gets worked up when going through the big towns. Going through Atlanta was not fun and we used the by pass on the way back. after we get there the coach sat the whole week and we put on 700 miles on the toad going to Key West and even spent a night in a Holiday Inn in Key Largo and that was her high light of the trip .Not mine hate to stay in Holiday Inns and fly. But like the first poster said you have to do things she likes to do .It is hard when one likes to travel and the other just wants to stay home and watch the tv. But if you can make it fun for both of you it will work. I wish I had a wife that loves to travel in a rv like some of you do your are blessed. But for most of us guys it is trying to make her happy and having fun.It is a big challenge but it is possible if you listen to her and try to help her as much as possible.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been really lucky. The Navigator enjoys every moment in the coach. I do most of the manual labor keep it running, camp site set up and such. When we were shopping for a coach the floor planned we searched was such that if weather was a problem we wouldn't go nuts inside for a day or so. Lots of room in the primary living area. I think what really put us over the top with owning a coach was our semi loop of the Great Lakes last year. When you can open the door to the coach in the morning and your view of the world is this -

Pancake Bay Ontario, Lake Superior

all the work, time and effort was worth it. Call it a MasterCard moment, priceless.

We're lucky if we top 50 trips a year in the coach so you don't need long adventures every time you go out. We do lots of Friday thru Sunday 200 or 300 mile round trip weekends. Sometimes the weather is great other times not so much. Nature of the beast. What really helped us was we teamed up with a local group of fellow RV'ers that we enjoy time with. About 2/3 of out weekend outings are now more or less group camping a few hours from home on weekends. A pot luck Saturday breakfast and dinner, a lot of fish stories around the camp fire, and good company.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a lucky full timer. Dw and I share the joy of the road and of traveling out of the country as well. In 2013 we were out of the country with the coach in storage for 3 months. 2014 was "only" 5 weeks out of the country and 2015 will be 4 weeks again. Next year we will RV in New Zealand and Australia with Fantasy for 5 or 6 weeks and then stop in Hawaii for a week or two.

In the mean time the coach is home. The apartment in the northeast is to store the few things we couldn't part with- yet and provide us a place to stay when we return to visit our friends. Our boys are east coast/west coast so we cross the country watching the weather to spend time with both and the grandkids. We generally do not consider what we do as camping, unless we are boondocking on gov't land.

We don't eat out a lot because DW much prefers her own cooking - with my assistance - to most any restaurant, can you say SALT. All in all the balance is something we have worked out over more than 50 years of marriage. Years ago I gave up Scuba, because she doesn't like beaches or boats. She has given up some things she enjoys that don't fit in with the RV lifestyle.

We have been traveling extended times, more than 6 weeks, since 2001 and full time since 2012. WE will have to stop some day, but that is just acknowledging reality not preparing to change our life style -yet.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
My wife will go, if it rains she and I have a great time watching movies and reading. We have camped in Ohio in a blizzard for 3 days, in Branson Mo in 4 degree weather so we don't let weather interfere with our lives. We once spent 4 days in Fl with a tropical storm and water coming under the Condo windows and watched movies the whole time. We enjoyed every minute except when we blew a tire and no one would even swerve on the Pa Turnpike. If you see anyone on the berm slow down and move over.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Sorry to hear that many of you don't share the love of RVing.

It was DW's idea to sell the big house and everything in it and travel. We full-timed for 16+ years, volunteered along the way, and loved every minute of it. She helped drive and could do all the connections involved. We both shared cooking and cleaning. It was a great lifestyle!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
I can feel your frustration about the rain. Last year I was ready to advertise in drought areas - if you want rain I'll plan to come to your area:B
It seems whenever we pulled in or got ready to leave it would rain and rain hard and then rain at least every second day.

However it did balance out, last fall in early October we had a week and a half of perfect weather, warmer than normal and no rain - fire every night.:B

Remember, it beats a tent.

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

Just_Cruzzin
Explorer
Explorer
sharibartling wrote:
Maybe by being forced to stay home we avoided an unknown. Well, that's what I tell myself 😉

+2

In my case my DW was the big push for getting into RVing I really
was not into doing this type of camping or camping at all. But all
"us boys like our toys" after had driven tractor trailer on the east
coast, before being a heavy equipment operator for 26 years I could
see the fun in driving the motorhome if not anything else it would be
fun to be the chauffeur. Next time I am getting the DP, love that sound.

Good luck

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is not a huge fan of RVing. Which is tough because we are full timers. Her biggest complaints are 1) Road schooling the kids (because you can't send them to a fixed school while traveling) and 2) Moving too often. We share all tasks including the road schooling but it seems to bother her more than the benefits suit her.

The other issue is that she loves to buy stuff and there's no room in the coach for her to continuously buy things.

The rain is a bigger problem in a small coach than in a home because you simply feel more imprisoned in a small space.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
dahkota wrote:
late bloomer wrote:
two things

If this is true, then for her, camping is not a vacation. What do you do on vacation that you don't do camping? Eat out more? Tour places? Shop? You might try doing that more while in the RV so it is more like her idea of a vacation. If she is doing the same stuff camping that she is at home - cooking, cleaning, etc. - it is kind of understandable that it isn't 'vacation.'

Yep.

And it's all easier to do in a "real" house.

Try to get to the bottom of why she wants to go home so quickly.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think I better go give the DW a big hug. As half timers we get a long very well. Granted there are pink jobs and blue jobs in RVing and after ten years we have them pretty well separated out.
This summer we will break up our RV trip out West by going on a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. This will give her a break from cooking, although we eat out a fair amount when in an area that has restaurants.
OP, you all need to figure out what she does not like about camping and try to solve those issues. Good Luck
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I believe DW enjoys the RV more than I do. However, when we had our sailboat it was the other way around, so I guess it all balances out. Plus traveling in a motorhome isn't really "camping."

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
late bloomer wrote:
two things

In response to your questions:

FIRST: I am extremely lucky. DW Loves to travel and camp in the MH. She would rather do that than any other type of vacation.

SECOND: No doubt bad weather can be a bummer. However, if it's at least warm out, we just huddle up under ours or a friends awning at the picnic table and play cards or watch the outside TV or just relax and listen to some music. If too cold or the rain starts getting too wind driven where it's not as dry even under the awning, then we'll go inside an "hang out". Many times, we're camping with friends who also have larger rigs, and we'll end up all together hanging out in one or the others MH. Raining or not, still better than being stuck at home doing "chores"! 😉
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis