cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Downshifting fix for hills

kingsransom
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 35 foot gas Fleetwood Bounder with a V10 Ford engine. While in cruise control, even a small hill or overpass will cause the trany to downshift to a lower gear, causing the engine to rev high. Any ideas to help fix this? Thanks!!!
Bill & Debbie
Fleetwood Bounder 35ft gas V10
Honda CRV
39 REPLIES 39

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to start a war or degrading anyone, but that is an advantage of a diesel as they have a straighter torque curve and don't require near as much shifting.:)

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
When you set a cruise control at a certain speed on level highway, say for example 65MPH, it will try and maintain that speed when you get to the mountains. And to do that the cruise pulls down on the throttle and as your speed slows because you are climbing a mountain the only way it can stay at 65 is pull down on the throttle and then it downshifts because that is what it is programed to do. First of all you don't need to maintain 65 going up that mountain so turn the cruise off and use your foot on the throttle and drive the machine yourself, don't let that guy named "Cruise" drive your MH. All he wants to do is floor the throttle and try to maintain the speed you set in the first place. So the solution is turn the cruise off in the mountains. You can also manually downshift to maintain the RPM's that suits you and the manual downshifts are not as harsh as the cruise control downshifts.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, gotta agree on 5 star tuning. But the OP was complaining of how his cruise worked, not the shifting. If he truly doesn't like how it shifts......and none of us do, then get a tuner from 5Star tuning. It will be a night and day difference. After the first trip with the tuner you will wonder why it wasn't like that from Ford!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:

The engine, transmission and cruise control computers are programmed for the best fuel economy.

Dale,

I would question that statement. Best PERFORMANCE, yes. Best economy-- no.

Low RPM/higher throttle positions on a gasoline engine is more efficient that high RPM/lower throttle positions.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your transmission does not have an over drive selection so the postings about turning it off are concerning the pre 2006 engine and transmission update.

The engine, transmission and cruise control computers are programmed for the best fuel economy. For most of us we're OK with the programming. If you want to change it you need to reprogram the shift points. 5 Star Tuning, Banks or other such 'tuners' that change the shift points to do what you're asking. There are some programmers that you can working directly with you to develop custom shift points. Off hand what I think you want is the down shift to the next lower gear, fourth, rather than skipping to third as it does.

The V10 has a unique power curve and pretty much comes alive over 3500 RPM. I would first consider sound and heat proofing the dog house then consider a reprogram. Also not sure about how reprogramming will effect the Ford warranty so do a bit of research on that first.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
JackInAZ wrote:
On hilly terrain, take it out of cruise control.

In fact if you RTFM.. Be it Ford or Chevy.. that is what it says to do.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
kingsransom wrote:
I have a 2013 35 foot gas Fleetwood Bounder with a V10 Ford engine. While in cruise control, even a small hill or overpass will cause the trany to downshift to a lower gear, causing the engine to rev high. Any ideas to help fix this? Thanks!!!

the fix is the 5 star tune
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
That is the way the Ford computer is programed.
Turn of OD.

I leave the cruse on and let the computer use the gears
so the motor is not lugged. The computer will keep it
from over revving.

You can get a 5star reprogramming which will change the shift points
firmness and torque converter lockup.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Ok to have higher revs in lower gears going up hill.
Higher revs is easier on the engine and helps keep it cool.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

lostdog
Explorer
Explorer
ed6713 wrote:
It doesn't have to be fixed becaus it's not broken.

The section of the computer that controls the shifting of the transmission, knows what it's doing.

Break out your Ford owners manual and read up on how your transmission works.
These engines are just fine with high rpm's. They are designed that way.

If your speed drops below, as I recall, 45mpg, the cruise control will automatically disconnect itself.

Read up on how to downshift if going downhill. You just tap your brake peddle and the tranny will downshift as soon as it's safe to do so.

Enjoy your travels.

X2. I have no problems. It's a high winding motor that is controlled by the computer and the computer will not let you hurt anything. Let the engine figure it out and enjoy the trip.
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
kingsransom wrote:

When you get tired of listing to those that don't understand your problem, go to the link listed below for a cure. You're not the only one that doesn't like Fords shift pattern.

5 Star Tune

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
willald wrote:
My recommendation: Don't use the cruise control in the first place, especially not when towing a car..
I find that makes for a much more tiring day and possibly a numb foot.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
ed6713 wrote:
It doesn't have to be fixed becaus it's not broken.

The section of the computer that controls the shifting of the transmission, knows what it's doing.....

Exactly right!

Ford's torqueshift transmission, and computers that control it and the engine know what they are doing and they do it well. No need to fix something that is working exactly as designed, and working very well. Ford electronics will not let you over-rev and damage the V10 engine, its pretty well a bullet-proof drivetrain.

My recommendation: Don't use the cruise control in the first place, especially not when towing a car. I quit using cruise control when driving RVs a looong time ago, back when we first started with various towable RVs. When an engine is working this hard, moving this much weight, cruise control is not a good idea in most cases, IMO. Much better to work the throttle yourself, that way you can anticipate various hills and give it some 'go' before getting to the hills. Keeps you more alert, too, as you need to be when driving something this big.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
to this day I can never understand why people want to go up a hill as fast as they do on the flats. take it out of cruise and give it a little more gas to help maintain speed.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Use the tow haul in the hilly areas.... it will not hurt it to leave it on. Tow haul does basically what an after market chip will do, it changes the shift pattern enough to stop the constant down shifting at those little annoying grades.