cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving certainvCalifornia Highways

papajim1
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting ready for a month trip to Northern California and Southern Oregon. I mentioned to a friend that we were planning on taking Hwy 20 from Williams, CA (0ff Hwy 5)to Hwy 101 and ending up at Willits, CA. He said that is was bad or tough road for Class A. We have a Sea Breeze 32f. with a toad. Ford V10 engine. Anyone familar with that road? We are not going to Fort Bragg in the motor home, doing that by car.Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
We travel Hwy 20 between I-5 and Hwy 101 several times a year with our 40' DP and Ford Edge toad with no issues. We also go on to Fort Bragg on Hwy 20 without any problems. You just need to take it easy and stay alert.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

H345
Explorer
Explorer

CALTRANS has free map downloads that show restrictions for RV's and trucks . These also have grade and distance information .

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I am a native Californian. I have driven both Hwy 1 and 101. You will feel more comfortable to use your auto for Hwy 1 and MH on 101.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

papajim1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses. It is always nice to have help when going to a new area.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most likely your friend was referring to the restrictions on many of the roads in that area, mainly Rte 1. California restricts Rte 1 and 20 to motorhomes less than 40' in length. You'll have no problems with your rig.....enjoy the trip...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 20 from Williams, I 5, to Hwy 101 is my preferred route and I drive a 32 ft MH towing a cRV. Sure it has some hills to climb but nothing that your RV can not handle. Have a good trip and you can fuel up at safeway in willits, right on hwy 101 and corner of hwy 20 in town.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
We took that road from West to East last fall when we were exploring that area towing a 28 ft 8k TT and I don't recall anything negative other than the price of diesel.

Should you be going between 101 and hwy 1 Manchester state park area do not even think about the mountain view rd. That one made for a white knuckle, way to big of rig and not nearly enough truck sort of day. 17 plus percent grade, with hitting the steering stops sort of switchbacks result in your having traction issues on dry pavement. On the downhill slopes zero to redline in first gear, even with the engine brake happened in about a tenth of a mile. It was very hard on the brakes.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
You should be just fine.