cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drop off and Pick up at Sacramento Metro Airport ??

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone driven their motor home to Sacreamento Metro to pickup or drop off a passenger? Is their anywhere to park for a an hour or so. I'll be in a 38' motor home with a tow vehicle. Thanks
Brian
16 REPLIES 16

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Billinwoodland wrote:
Pangaea Ron wrote:
It will be easy, but you need to know which airline that you want to access. It is the only airport where we have been searched before entering with our vehicle. They are overly self-important security people. It's SAC, what are they really worried about?

What? Searched in your vehicle? I have been using that airport, both as a passenger and pilot since 1976 and have never seen anyone searched in their vehicle. I would appreciate more info on that.
Thanks
Bill
This must have been right after 9/11. I had very similar experiences at FLL around that time. They'd run a mirror under the car and have me open the trunk. Times were crazy.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Sacramento Airport has a 14 foot max height limit at terminal A and an 8 foot 2 inch limit at the parking garage.

I just did a virtual drive through on Google maps street view and saw no problems or issues you might encounter.

I just drove through Phoenix Airport a few weeks ago and posted a similar question to yours. I'd recommend you call the Sacramento airport at (916) 929-5411 and talk to them about your concerns.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Bill

It was several years ago, old terminal, and they wanted to look in the trunk when we were dropping off someone in our rental car. It may have been during a time of heightened security? I've never seen that before or since.

Thanks,interesting. I have never had that happen. Maybe it was around the 911 time, tons of security then.
Bill
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Bill

It was several years ago, old terminal, and they wanted to look in the trunk when we were dropping off someone in our rental car. It may have been during a time of heightened security? I've never seen that before or since.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
It will be easy, but you need to know which airline that you want to access. It is the only airport where we have been searched before entering with our vehicle. They are overly self-important security people. It's SAC, what are they really worried about?

What? Searched in your vehicle? I have been using that airport, both as a passenger and pilot since 1976 and have never seen anyone searched in their vehicle. I would appreciate more info on that.
Thanks
Bill

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies.............plans have changed, and looked like I won't be going in the motor home. Thanks again.........because they could change back LOL
Brian

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can drive through to pick up passengers without a problem. You won't be able to park anywhere but the cell phone lot which is across from the ARCO station right as you get off I-5. Sac Sheriff is pretty vigilant with parking and stopping....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Billinwoodland wrote:
supercub wrote:
Anyone driven their motor home to Sacreamento Metro to pickup or drop off a passenger? Is their anywhere to park for a an hour or so. I'll be in a 38' motor home with a tow vehicle. Thanks
Brian

There is Sacramento "International" and Sacramento "Executive" airports. I'm not sure which one you are referring to by "metro." My guess is international which is on I-5 between Sac and Woodland. I would not want to negotiate an A in and out of the cell parking lot. Buses deliver passengers to the terminal all the time. The bus lane is in the far left as you enter the terminal area. I would use that route, drop your passengers off there and let them walk (very short distance) to the terminal area. It's essentially just a walk across 4 lanes in the designated crossing area.

Before Sac International was Sac International, it was Sac Metro. Many people still call it that.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Back when I was driving tour buses I would drive into airports regularly and never had a problem. 45'long & 12'2" tall.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
Brian

There is Sacramento "International" and Sacramento "Executive" airports. I'm not sure which one you are referring to by "metro." My guess is international which is on I-5 between Sac and Woodland. I would not want to negotiate an A in and out of the cell parking lot. Buses deliver passengers to the terminal all the time. The bus lane is in the far left as you enter the terminal area. I would use that route, drop your passengers off there and let them walk (very short distance) to the terminal area. It's essentially just a walk across 4 lanes in the designated crossing area.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
I drove my Class a with towed right thru the pick up lane got my passenger and was on our way.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

outboardfever
Explorer
Explorer
Sac Metro has what is called the Cell Phone Lot, it is a large lot where you can wait for free, then when your pickup arrives they can call you for pickup. I have used it many times and it is large. One of the few things Sac has ever done well. I believe it shows on the Airport web site.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Since you have the toad you could park by the Arco Arena and drive the few miles. As mentioned there are also a few very large shopping centers only a few miles away. There is a "Cell Phone Parking Area" but I don't know what kind of access (tight turns etc) it might have. Also, you do have all those overhead signs for direction, and I never took notice of the heights. Although it is a nice regional airport, with wide roads, it still is congested with people rushing to get in and out. I'd take the toad.