cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ducted AC Systems

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
For those with whole coach ducted A/C systems in the ceiling with multiple A/C's. Our coach has the same sized A/C duct from front to rear. If you've ever studied A/C duct systems in homes the ducts start out large at the A/C and progressively get smaller. The issue I'm seeing with the duct in the coach is that a majority of the air is coming out the last 2 vents in line. Has anyone glued pieces of styrofoam in the duct to progressive make it smaller so that the air flows equally out every vent?
11 REPLIES 11

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
robertbenita wrote:
We close or partially close the vents we need to focus cool air where we want it. Works well for us!

my circular ones can also be rotated to aim the air where you want it.
bumpy

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
We close or partially close the vents we need to focus cool air where we want it. Works well for us!

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
Not sure you could even do what you suggest, for example at night we operate the living room acnd which also supplies air to the rear bedroom but is quiet. In the day time we operate both especially when hot. so sometime air flow is from front to back and other times we want it flowing back to front. What I do on hot days when I need more cooling in front than can get from acnd as installed I set a 9" fan on the floor and move air from bedroom area to front. Can make a world of difference.

I do exactly the same thing, been working well for years.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
This company has a large selection of registers.
www.dwincorp.com
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

bercher
Explorer
Explorer
This is exactly what we have came up with after 6 years of full-time traveling.

imgoin4it wrote:
Not sure you could even do what you suggest, for example at night we operate the living room acnd which also supplies air to the rear bedroom but is quiet. In the day time we operate both especially when hot. so sometime air flow is from front to back and other times we want it flowing back to front. What I do on hot days when I need more cooling in front than can get from acnd as installed I set a 9" fan on the floor and move air from bedroom area to front. Can make a world of difference.
2010 Open Range 385RLS
2009 Chevy Durmax/Allison 2500HD Ext Cab
PullRite SuperGlide 18k

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
all of my ducted AC motorhomes had individually adjustable vents so you could adjust the flow how you wanted it.
bumpy

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Explorer
Explorer
Our ducted AC has registers that can be opened or closed (or left in between) over every outlet. We use those to direct the cold air to where we want it. Actually, we rarely change them once they were adjusted to provide a pretty uniform distribution of air.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
The air duct in a RV is one size because it is less labor to install one size the length of the RV.

Reducing the duct size is not nearly as critical - due to the limited air flow.

I would just close partway the air vents that you wanted less air out of, and leave it at that. . .

Have fun camping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
AC systems in stick homes only have one source of air that is used to blow the cooling air throughout the entire house. Different size ducts are used to keep the air flow consistent.
In an RV with multiple AC units, cold air is introduced in to the duct at two or three different AC units.
Since the owner as the choice of which units are to be used to keep the space comfortable, it is not practical to change the size of the ducts, since there is not a set cold air source.
The best way to adjust the air flow for your own comfort is to adjust the output vents to increase or decrease the air flow. In my coach all of the AC vents allow me to shut them off completely or open them up fully.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it would be much easier to install registers that can be adjusted to restrict the flow. Ours came with them from the factory.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad