cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electrolysis ??

blkcloud01
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going tomorrow to look at 2 MH's one a gasser one a pusher, the pusher is a 1997 with a 275 cat.. 100k miles.. how do I check for electrolysis in the cat or is this a non issue? thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
A Cat 275HP is not a sleeved engine so cavitation is not an issue. That said I do use SCA in all my diesel engines.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Cavitation is only an issue with sleeved cylinder engines. Engines like the Cummins B series don't have sleeves so will never have this problem.
IF you have a sleeved eng then you need to keep up on coolant chemistry.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I suspect cavitation or cylinder wall pitting (cavitation causes cylinder wall pitting) is the issue you are referring to.

The only diesel engine I am aware of (no experience with Navistar/Ford engines, as very rare in Class A motorhomes)that do not require SCA or the new-generation OAT-based coolants is the Cummins B engine.

But, not sure that the chassis makers don't use the same "low silicate for diesel with added SCA" coolant in the cooling systems for chassis with the B engine as well-- you would need to check with your chassis maker.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

blkcloud01
Explorer
Explorer
I have a international roll back with a big diesel in it.. one of the guys that use to help me got a diesel shop to run a (what he called electrolysis) test on it.. it was fine.. a few years ago I test drove a toter home with a new detroit in it.. the owner had just replaced the motor because it was "eat up" where he didnt do any "electrolysis".. I think that was about a 5k fix.. and I may be using the word electrolysis wrong here.. that's just what they called it..

lre01
Explorer
Explorer
google international powerstroke engines for cavitation problems.
They have no liners.

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
The additive is added to the radiator...was a standard maintenance procedure in large diesels...Baldwins FleetStrip kits are the most widely used/available. Can be a very costly repair. Now the smaller modern diesels may not require it.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Cavitation can be an issue. Never heard of electrolysis on any diesel engine being an issue.

Cavitation is caused by not maintaining the coolant/ not changing it as prescribed. Coolant maintenance with "regular diesel coolant" involves replenishing the SCA(Supplemental Coolant Additive).

BTW, the Caterpillar engine you are looking at is NOT a linered engine, so cavitation would not be an issue.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

lre01
Explorer
Explorer
Cavitation is probable what you are concerned about.
There is no way to check the condition of the sleeves.
There are no warning signs.
Where diesel cylinder cavitation is concerned, the bubbles are formed by the rapid flexing of the cylinder wall liners as the high compression, high energy diesel combustion process takes place. Much like if you filled a plastic liter pop bottle up with water and rapidly flexed the sides of the bottle back and forth with your hand. Bubbles form without any heat present. The bubbles in diesel cylinder wall cavitation don't explode, they implode due to pressure. It is this implosion against the metal surface that causes the pitting to form in the outside of the cylinder wall. Eventually the prolonged pitting will become a hole. Water/coolant enters the cylinder, and thus we have engine failure (usually via hydrolock). Unlike gasoline engines, all diesel engines experience some level of inherent cavitation, some worse than others.
Only thing you can do is check the ph of the coolant and maintenance records for coolant flush and change.
If the engine has extended life coolant or has the ph checked and has been serviced regularly then the chances of cavitation problems will be minimal.
No maintenance = big problems.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
They make test strips for the additive. A truck garage may give you one stip and show you what the colors mean after a test.
If you are buying from the owner, ask very general questions to see if the owner knows, thus telling you if the know what they are talking about.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting question. I'm not familiar with Electrolysis in engines.
Do a Google search, lots of info available.
It sounds like the OP is doing his homework before buying a unit.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the 70's Catapillar was selling these tiny colored beads (they came in a tube) at the Cat House and it was used to retard electrolysis. I also had a friend (in Forks, WA.) and Gene would put nothing in the radiator except pure rain water! He had barrels under every down spout around his house. None of his Cat Motors experienced electrolysis.

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
Never heard of electrolysis in a Cat motor. Is this something new?

my first cat motor, which is why I am watching this post
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of electrolysis in a Cat motor. Is this something new?

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
Jezz I have a cat motor in my TV, maybe I should watch this post
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension