cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Engine Compartment Heat Shield

Grant_Lasson
Explorer
Explorer
The aluminum heat reflective sheet that is glued to the engine "doghouse" insulation has separated and is laying on the top of the engine. It's in disrepair and I am going to replace it.

What recommendations do you have for replacement material? I like high-quality solutions that I will not have to re-do in 2-3 years.

So far this is my best idea: http://www.engineheatprotection.com/cloth.html Does anyone have experience with it? Is there something better?

Thanks for your help.

Grant
5 REPLIES 5

Grant_Lasson
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your advice and recommendations. I will look at Dynamat closely. I had not considered tearing out the existing insulation--your recommendations may have changed my mind about that.

The install might be very clean if I go with the Dynamat on the engine side of the doghouse. I would like that.

Grant

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I would recommend something that is under the doghouse, not on top of it. If the heat in the engine compartment is say 200F, and the insulation is below the doghouse, then the fiberglass doghouse is exposed more to the backside of the insulation and the 100F motorhome (or less) and the material that the doghouse is made of should stay below 100F.

However if the insulation is above the doghouse, the fiberglass can get really hot! Even if it is not transmitting much of that heat into the drivers area. Ideally, insulation on both sides is better, but you must have it on the engine side.

I replaced my buddy's doghouse insulation with some 1.5" thick air duct fiberglass insulation. The aluminized stuff he had installed caught fire on the road to Las Vegas, so we took it out completely, and drove on. When back home, we put a BBQ lighter to the duct insulation, it suffered no damage at about 700F, so put that on it. On his 1987 Class C, the exhaust is very close to the doghouse, and it was leaking near the engine to exhaust manifold connection (about 10" from the doghouse).

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Vegas1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Mountainaire05. I installed it under the doghouse nine years ago, and has not moved or deteriorated. It does a good job cutting down on noise and heat I highly recommend Dynamat!
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37 F
Ford F-53 24,0000
2010 Chevy Equinox. Blue Ox & Brake Buddy

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used This on my Class A on the inside of the doghouse it is so thin I took up the carpet and put it on the doghouse then put the carpet back. After that it was a lot quieter and almost no heat coming thru.

That was on an old Chevy 454 that really put off some heat!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have not use that but sound good. I use http://www.dynamat.com/ and know it works, and just install it in my new Vehicle to cut down road noise, since it has sport suspension. I will keep what you posted save for any new projects. I use the thicker product for the dog house and you do not feel any heat nor hear any engine sound.