cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engine miss in hard rain

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Have had bad miss in hard rain while going up hill. Changed the plugs and wires today and found a crack the length of the insulator on one of the plugs. Plug tips and wires did not look bad at 23,000 miles. Do you guys think the cracked insulator was causing the miss during the hard rain. New air filter last trip, going clean MAF next
23 REPLIES 23

Bruce_Brown
^^^ And they're cheap now too - at least the basic ones are.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, A Scan Gauge reads codes and I think it's a good investment. As time goes on you'll need it.

I have an UltraGauge and it has paid for itself.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
dcbrewer wrote:
ArchHoagland wrote:
Have you been getting any Check Engine Lights?

The light will come on, but will go off when i get out of the rain for a few miles

You need to find out what the code is for that Check Engine Light.

I have been thinking about getting a Scan Guage, does it read codes

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I’m thinking that’s how the smart money would bet.

Old mechanics trick for next time. If it does it again spray down cap and plug ends with WD40. It displaces moisture, so if it stops missing you’re on your way to the fix.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
dcbrewer wrote:
ArchHoagland wrote:

The light will come on, but will go off when i get out of the rain for a few miles

You need to find out what the code is for that Check Engine Light.

US Gear Brakes

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
The tuba fix is only applicable on certain models. It really depends on the configuration of the hood. Some RV's have a hood that positions the tuba directly behind a joint between the hood and the rest of the bodywork. That allows rainwater to enter through the small gap and go into the intake while driving in heavy rain. Some have solved the issue by adding weather stripping around the hood opening, particularly in the area where the tuba is, without having to cut/turn the tuba.

I will take a good look at the way mine is made, thinking rain water could go down between the windshield bottom and the hood, and straight into the tuba. when i wash again, will see how the water runs down. that could be the problem. might need to put a hood over it.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 04 Pace Arrow never had the water problems but it loved plug wires. Being a hot rod builder I put Taylor high heat wires on it from Summit Racing and never had a miss after that.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
The tuba fix is only applicable on certain models. It really depends on the configuration of the hood. Some RV's have a hood that positions the tuba directly behind a joint between the hood and the rest of the bodywork. That allows rainwater to enter through the small gap and go into the intake while driving in heavy rain. Some have solved the issue by adding weather stripping around the hood opening, particularly in the area where the tuba is, without having to cut/turn the tuba.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
this also was a problem with the Ford chassis, 99ish. they had a snorkel that was available to fix it.
bumpy

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer

US Gear Brakes

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
dcbrewer wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Yes that will cause a miss. I would change out all the plugs and wires being an 06.

I have changed to the ultra rv wires and new plugs, thats when i found the crack in the insulator.

Sorry, I forgot about you said you replaced them between reading and posting. yes Im sure that was the cause of your miss. even more so when its damp outside.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
Is it the 8.1 engine?

It is the 8.1

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
This is a simple solution on the GM 8.1L engine. What is happening is that your "tuba" air intake is ingesting water which is soaking your paper air cleaner element and causing the engine to miss.
The solution is to cut off the top of the air intake tuba, turn it 180 degrees, so that it faces the rear, and using duct tape, reattach the intake air horn. I used two pieces of aluminum to screw in to the bottom of the tuba and then screwed the top on before I taped the joint. My cost was really nothing more than some time. I put another 50,000 miles in some very hard rain the the problem was solved.

I will make that change to. Thanks!!