cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPDM roof, Is it toast?

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
My friend brought his 98 Southwind up from Fla. this weekend and wants to fix it back up. Most of the white is gone from the roof but the rubber still looks good. No tears, no leaks caulking is great.
What would you put on it? CW wants to do a whole new roof but I just don't see it yet. I used something on a 96 SeaBreeze I had that looked good, was white and held up well but can't remember what it was.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds
19 REPLIES 19

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
msturtz wrote:
Really EPDM rubber roofs only last 10 or so years. I would not chance it at all. Water damage will cost far more than a roof.

So, my 15 year old EPDM roof (which doesn't leak and still looks good) should be replaced??? Why???

I agree, if the rubber roof is cleaned and cared for it can last 20 plus years even in the desert sun..

To the OPer you can also go to Lowes and get the white solar roof coating and apply that, wont cost much and does work.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
housekj wrote:
Question, when putting on the dicor roof treatment it says to totally mask your motorhome before using the prep/primer. Is this necessary, as it took us 3 hours to put it all on and when we put the prep on it caused the adhesive to come loose on tape and then darn stuff all fell off anyway.

housekj,
The makers of that prep treatment, are attempting to protect the finish of the sides, front and back of your coach, when that step is taken, in the treatment. We too taped off the whole coach with painters visqueen, tape and all that. Yep, every bit of it came off while pressure washing the roof. So, in an emergency decision, while my son and I were on the roof pressure washing that prep stuff off, the wife was on the ground with a garden hose hosing down the sides, front and back, keeping the damage to the finish, at a bare minimum.

When it was all said and done, there really was no damage to the sides, front and back of the coach. I kept it pretty waxed anyways. So, the point is, if you try and tape everything off, you will at least give an effort to protecting your coach while the prep step is done. Will it stay? That remains to be seen.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

housekj
Explorer
Explorer
Question, when putting on the dicor roof treatment it says to totally mask your motorhome before using the prep/primer. Is this necessary, as it took us 3 hours to put it all on and when we put the prep on it caused the adhesive to come loose on tape and then darn stuff all fell off anyway.

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Or you Could use Bus Kote. Great product.
Bob

rvroofinstaller
Explorer
Explorer
What you need to do is replace all lap sealant, self leveling caulking, with a fiber backed seam tape so it can accept a coating, prime and coat with a 100% acrylic elastomeric rv roof coating not a siliconized one. If there are no soft spots.

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
its a matter of maintenance. Your roof isnt leaking today, but what about tomorrow?
You know it is aging, has reached its life time on the original product .

Just because the thin white coating is gone does NOT mean the product has reached the "end of it's life". There are products, like "Liquid Roof" that are actually a direct replacement for that coating. They are made of the same polymers and aren't simply a coating.

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
My friend brought his 98 Southwind up from Fla. this weekend and wants to fix it back up. Most of the white is gone from the roof but the rubber still looks good. No tears, no leaks caulking is great.
What would you put on it? CW wants to do a whole new roof but I just don't see it yet. I used something on a 96 SeaBreeze I had that looked good, was white and held up well but can't remember what it was.

First seal around everything with Eternabond
Then cover entire roof with Liquid Rubber
Just did mine & very pleased with results.
Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU - 99 F53 chassis
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
LIFE IS GOOD! :C

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
its a matter of maintenance. Your roof isnt leaking today, but what about tomorrow?
You know it is aging, has reached its life time on the original product .

Ramair
Explorer
Explorer
I had a friend redue his roof with rhino linings, looks great and cost less than a new roof and will not wear out. Wish I still had a pic of the roof.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378 XL

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
msturtz wrote:
Really EPDM rubber roofs only last 10 or so years. I would not chance it at all. Water damage will cost far more than a roof.

So, my 15 year old EPDM roof (which doesn't leak and still looks good) should be replaced??? Why???
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
FIRE UP wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:

While I'm not a fan of rubber roofs, we did have no trouble with ours when we owned our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder, 34V with the F-53 and the V-10. The only problem we had with the roof was, just like your buddy, almost all the white had worn or, "sluffed" off. Well, I knew something had to be done. Besides, the entire world knows what the effects of a "black" roof would be to the inside temp.

So, I used a product made by Dicor. It's a two part system and, it came out flawless. The entire process took just one, LONG day. First, a thorough cleaning with good soap and water and rinse. Then, a prep and primer in the first of the Dicor process. Then, a "pressure wash". Yes, I said PRESSURE. That's what the instructions wanted you to do. Then, when that was dry, the first coat of the coating applied. Then, a second coat.

That stuff, 5 years later, looks just as good as the day it was applied. And, it was never under any cover. If one is looking to keep a rubber roof and wants at least some form of protection for it, I'd recommend the Dicor treatment in heartbeat. Below is a picture of ours the day after it was done.
Scott
Thanks Scott. I think that is what I used. I remember it being a 2 step process.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:

While I'm not a fan of rubber roofs, we did have no trouble with ours when we owned our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder, 34V with the F-53 and the V-10. The only problem we had with the roof was, just like your buddy, almost all the white had worn or, "sluffed" off. Well, I knew something had to be done. Besides, the entire world knows what the effects of a "black" roof would be to the inside temp.

So, I used a product made by Dicor. It's a two part system and, it came out flawless. The entire process took just one, LONG day. First, a thorough cleaning with good soap and water and rinse. Then, a prep and primer in the first of the Dicor process. Then, a "pressure wash". Yes, I said PRESSURE. That's what the instructions wanted you to do. Then, when that was dry, the first coat of the coating applied. Then, a second coat.

That stuff, 5 years later, looks just as good as the day it was applied. And, it was never under any cover. If one is looking to keep a rubber roof and wants at least some form of protection for it, I'd recommend the Dicor treatment in heartbeat. Below is a picture of ours the day after it was done.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I added a coat of Dicor EPDM coating. Not cheap but will extend the life.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
msturtz wrote:
The one on my MH had a 20 year warranty and the one on my 03 5er still looks new. Its only been under a cover for the last 3 years or so. Im trying to get him a little more time as his business failed and he lost it all.

He'll have time. In my part of the world we would apply

Clicky
There’s no fool, like an old fool.