cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exceeding GVWR

beaglewillie
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my Class B several years ago, and started having problems with the tires and axles recently. I had previously experienced 2 tire blowouts, but didn't think about weight. After both rear axles, and front wheel bearings failed, I weighed the vehicle and discovered it to be 1000lbs over GVWR, completely empty. I contacted the manufacturer who only gave me the run around. The dealer I purchased it from is not responsive. Any suggested recourse? Lawsuit will be expensive and drawn out. NHTSA have any enforcement authority? Any possible modifications to the vehicle?
9 REPLIES 9

booster
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that the OP was either a troll, or found out he really wasn't overweight. Very vague post, wanting solutions, but with not any details as to the vehicle so nobody could begin to help, and then disappears.

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
I am very surprised at this post. GVWR issues are more of a problem with Class C's, most of them are running overloaded. But a Class B with a standard chassis from Ford, GM, MB should not have a problem. All these vans are used as commercial vehicles and have plenty of carrying capacity. I notice that the make and model number have not been posted yet.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Sue them in small claims court, likely for the max allowed in your state. It's easy and odds are they will not even show up to court. Then you have to collect, that can be the hard part.

I sued my health insurance, they settled out of court for full claim. YMMV of course.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

booster
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder what happened to the original poster? It would be very interesting for all of us to know what RV comes from the factory that overweight.

Tiger02
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, what company did the conversion, and on what chassis? Good knowledge for those looking at getting a van conversion to have this in mind.

Some upfitters can raise GVWR, but I don't believe any van conversion outfits have that option. I know that Ford has a conversion guide that states that GVWR, GCWR and GAWR cannot be re-rated. Hard to believe that a van conversion outfit could get away with this for any length of time before a class action suit is taken against them.
2006 Keystone Outback Sydney 30 FRKS

1997 Ford F350 Auto, 4.10LS Axle, 160,000 Miles, Crew Cab with DRW.

US Army 1984-2016.

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on getting a quality set of tires that can carry the real load weight with some margin of safety.

Weighting each corner and each axle might help give you a better picture as to how to manage the over weight issue. Best of luck and know you are not alone with this issue.

booster
Explorer
Explorer
beaglewillie wrote:
I bought my Class B several years ago, and started having problems with the tires and axles recently. I had previously experienced 2 tire blowouts, but didn't think about weight. After both rear axles, and front wheel bearings failed, I weighed the vehicle and discovered it to be 1000lbs over GVWR, completely empty. I contacted the manufacturer who only gave me the run around. The dealer I purchased it from is not responsive. Any suggested recourse? Lawsuit will be expensive and drawn out. NHTSA have any enforcement authority? Any possible modifications to the vehicle?

It would help to know the model and year, as there are some that have more issues than others, and may have solutions or modifications that might help.

The first thing to do is to look at the weight sticker on the RV and see what the factory said it weighed, and then go from there.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, a lawsuit is you best hope of recovering any money.

Depending on the chassis manufacturer, you may be able to upgrade to dual tires in the rear. There used to be a "kit", mainly 12-15 passenger extended vans, that did this. The axle was not changed, so the extra tires were outboard and required outboard fenders.

At a minimum, upgrade the tires to ones that can carry your load.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sad tale, but you are really stuck. File a claim with NTSB, your local attorney generals office and see what happens.