cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filling MH Propane...

Maladjusted
Explorer
Explorer
For the campgrounds that list LP in the ammenities... will they fill your propane tank on the MH?

Do you guys do it when you first pull in if needed?

(I am down to 1/4 tank and am headed down to the OuterBanks, NC this weekend (Cape Hatteras KOA).

Thanks in advance,
Mal
16 REPLIES 16

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
AS I type this they are conducting a LP refill class here in the campground.. YES, if the campground lists LP then they should be able to refill your MH tank.

However: You pay "Campground prices" (kind of like a soda at a movie theater) as a general rule.

I like to shop around. I have on occasion saved as much as a dollar a gallon by visiting the right propane store (Usually a wholesale outlet). and sometimes it requires I go out of my way,, Like 50 yards out of my way ๐Ÿ™‚ (I'm not kidding)

Not this year but last (2012) on my semi-annula 800 Mile Hike back north (The other semi-annual hike is south) since I had to go to the west side of the state I came up the middle and turned left on I-94... on the way I stopped at the farm I grew up on, Now a propane tank farm. 2.69/gallon v/s 3/17 at the park I next visited. And since I know the roads in that area rather well, it was like 50 yards (all on the farm) out of my way from the road to the pump house to the turn around and 50 yards back to the road.

I had absolutely NO problem finding the farm ๐Ÿ™‚
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
shaneperch wrote:
Isn't there a gauge on the permenant installed tanks? Or the liquid comes out meaning it's full? I need to get mine filled as well never done it before.

The gauges are not to be used for filling contrary to the belief of some uninformed filler uppers.

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
I have a local company that fills all types of cylinder gases. They have a spot for motor homes to pull in and get filled. They are set up for their own trucks so it is a easy spot to get into. Check your local listings and survey it by car first. A lot of U Haul franchises offer propane and have good access. When I am on the road , I look for a Flying J with RV lanes and propane.
While in Florida, I was at a campground that had a local vendor com and fill t on your site. But at 6.00 per gallon, I wasn't biting!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Menards has now started to sell propane to RVs and cars. My sense is that they anticipate the automotive market will swing toward propane in cars, so they are trying to get established in the market. Their prices are pretty good as well.
IRV2

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
mpfireman wrote:
vic46 wrote:
There are two different types of propane reservoirs. The tank type that must be removed from the RV for filling. The vessel type that is permanently mounted on the RV. Both may be filled using a metering system and the tank type may be filled using a weight system. The weight system can not be used for a propane vessel as this system requires the removal of the reservoir from the RV to accommodate weighing the reservoir.

Hooray, some else uses the weight system when filling those portable tanks. The only true way to correctly fill these types of tanks.
Portable DOT bottle or cylinder and permanently attached ASME tank that is welded to the motorhomes frame. MPfireman, I know you know the difference, but this is for those who don't. I don't know how your going to weight that AMSE tank unless you weight the motorhome first and then fill the tank and re-weight the motorhome again? And when they deliver LP to home heat customers, just how do they weight AMSE tanks?
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
You also might want to look for a local place near where you live. I keep mine filled at a tool rental place close by. Used to go to the place where they delivered propane to homes but they sold out and closed that location.Over the years I used Flying J once and camp grounds twice.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you that Hatteras is reasonable..but KOA I don't know....I do know there are literally water front sites as they are working on the dunes at KOA....
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Maladjusted wrote:
For the campgrounds that list LP in the ammenities... will they fill your propane tank on the MH?

Do you guys do it when you first pull in if needed?

(I am down to 1/4 tank and am headed down to the OuterBanks, NC this weekend (Cape Hatteras KOA).

Thanks in advance,
Mal

The Cape Hatteras KOA will fill all tanks. The station is on the left side just inside the gate.
I would suggest filling before getting to the OBX though, it is normally .20-.30 cents per gallon higher than on the mainland.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Most times the propane is available from a cetral tank and metered. I would survey, on foot, the approach and exit from the tank area as you may need unhook the toad - backing up may be required.

The filling stations are often placed as an after thought so some are in weird places. I encountered one refill station that required driving on the campground basketball court, dodging the net and then backing out!

The best refill service was at a campground that arranged for a local delivery company to attend the campground on Saturday mornings. If you wanted propane you let them know at the office and the truck driver stopped his tanker at your site, filled you up and you paid him on the spot. Now that's service!!
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Because those gauges are never inspected after they're installed, it's a bad idea to rely on them for something as dangerous as propane. Your filler will instead rely on, well, gravity, in effect.
๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

shaneperch wrote:
Isn't there a gauge on the permenant installed tanks? Or the liquid comes out meaning it's full? I need to get mine filled as well never done it before.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been able to fill our MH at parks that offer propane, however we have run into some that only do the smaller bottles. Ask at the desk when you check in. Some have the tank set up so you pull up to it as you are leaving (to have it on the correct side of the MH).

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Well on a MH you can not remove to fill.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
vic46 wrote:
There are two different types of propane reservoirs. The tank type that must be removed from the RV for filling. The vessel type that is permanently mounted on the RV. Both may be filled using a metering system and the tank type may be filled using a weight system. The weight system can not be used for a propane vessel as this system requires the removal of the reservoir from the RV to accommodate weighing the reservoir.

Hooray, some else uses the weight system when filling those portable tanks. The only true way to correctly fill these types of tanks.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver