cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First RV (old class A), and want to take it to Yellowstone

boatswain2PA
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie to the boards, and to RVs. Bought a 1987 33' Holiday Rambler Presidential Class A. Low miles, everything works except generator - working on that now.

Want to take extended family on trip to Yellowstone, just over a thousand miles away. Will have 2 other vehicles in entourage.

So, old RV, brand new to me, and I'm a brand new RV owner, what could go wrong, right?!?

I've been to Yellowstone before, but it was almost 20 years ago and we were tent camping out of our car.

My plan is (if RV makes it there) to find a good campsite for the motorhome, get an extra campsite or two for a few tents (kids, parents, in-laws) nearby, and use it as a base camp for exploring Yellowstone for a few days.

Any advice on where to stay? Am I completely crazy to take new (old) motorhome that far for first trip? (we will be going back and forth to local lake before that).
26 REPLIES 26

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sea Dog wrote:
Why is no one recommending GOOD SAM road service?

Because he did not ask for road service recommendations.
BUT I would recommend GS roadside assistance in a heartbeat if asked.
Stir the pot
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like so much fear with Class A owners. Another way to look at it is, would you have bought the rig thinking it couldn't even go 2,000 miles before you had to take it to the scrap yard.

Take your tools, a visa card, and your sense of adventure. Be safe of course, but don't let fear (or others) turn your rig into a driveway queen where the only RV'ing you ever do is on the .Net
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Why is no one recommending GOOD SAM road service?
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

Gary_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some insurance companies that offer roadside assistance may consider an assist as a claim against your insurance and adjust your premiums accordingly! You might want to check that out. I had car insurance with a company in Beverly, Mass called Electric and I called them just to ask them a question and they said they had to start a claim number on it. I dropped them like a hot potato.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth....
In 2010 I bought my first RV, a 99 PaceArrow, and 3 weeks later left on a 6 week, 6000 mile odyssey to the west coast.
So your level of crazy isn't that far out of reality.

We lost 3 tires and an awning on that trip...
Check the date codes on your tires, if over 7 years, replace them. Seriously consider a $300 TPMS, such as from TST, to warn you ahead of time of tire problems.

Your drivetrain, engine, trans, brakes, if they work today they will probably work when you get home.

The house stuff, you can live without should you need to, still better than a tent.

Go fer it.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tires MUST BE REPLACED if 7 years old.
WHat size are they?
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Back in 2003 We went from Michigan to Oregon in our then 1990 Georgie Boy. After looking back at that excursion I feel now ours is in better shape now then back then. With your unit being 28 years old there would be a lot of things to look at.
1- brake lines and fluid change.
2- radiator recore or replace.
3- transmission flush
4- tires
5- belts
6- carb check
7- if a GM check the front air bags
8- new plugs and wires
Since I did my trip I have done a lot to improve the running of the MH. Having the distributor rebuilt and recurved did more for it as far as power and MPG than anything else that has been done.
It's kind of a daunting checklist but there is nothing worse than being along side of a road doa.
Also at your age of MH the fuel lines are getting brittle which can be a expensive repair out in the middle of nowhere.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
RE: Mountains

I'm not sure where you're leaving but if you take I-80 across into Wyoming, (I just looked at the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' - available online for East and West of the country, and it states that your first major 'hill' will be at Telephone Canyon (elevation 8900') east of Laramie, WY. This is a 5-mile westbound descent into Laramie at 4-5%. There are 3 lanes climbing and 2 descending.

I would then advise that you take Hwy 191 at Rock Springs off I-80, into Jackson, WY. It has no big grades. Since Grand Teton Nat'l Park is right next to Yellowstone, try to plan a couple nights in that park, if possible. It's a beauty and altogether different from Yellowstone. In the park are 2 huge 300-site non-reservable campgrounds that will accept both a RV and tents. They rarely fill except on the 3-day holidays. They are Gros Ventre, our favorite, and Colter Bay. They are both dry camping - no electric. They do have a water fill and dump station. There is also a RV park in the Tetons right next door to Colter Bay campground. It's called Colter Bay RV. You could stay there with the RV and the others next door at the campground with their tents if you want electric.

Look on the Yellowstone/Grand Teton official web site for maps. From the Tetons you could head directly north on the park road into Yellowstone. Depending where you are going in Yellowstone, this route will take you to Craig Pass around West Thumb. It is rolling hills with some short sections of 5-6%. It's not a biggie.

Another place in the park is Dunraven Pass south of Tower Juction. The descent northbound in approximately 9 miles of steady descent in the 6% range with curves and some hairpin turns. This information is taken from the 'Mountain Directory'.

Yet another is Sylvan Pass between Fishing Bridge and the east entrance of Yellowstone toward Cody. Westbound from Cody is 5-6% grades of mostly rolling hills with a drop of only 800' elevation. Eastbound toward Cody is a 1500' drop in elevation in 6 miles at 6-7%.

Another route is I-90 and picking up 191 at Bozeman, Montana and taking it to West Yellowstone and the west entrance into the park. There are no highway issues with those 2 highways.

Once you start touring with your RV on the secondary highways you could run into mountain driving. Purchase the 'Mountain Directory' if planning to do so.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you only paid 5k for the coach, the tires are done! Plan on new tires before you leave, otherwise you'll be wishing you had. Read the tire codes today. Click here for info on how to do so.

Based on your post, you'll be traveling with several others and your time of travel is at the peak of the season. Reservations are a must if you want to camp together.

The old farts pass is the America the Beautiful pass. It gets you in the gate free, or at a reduced rate depending on which pass you have or qualify for.

Enjoy the trip...I would not take the MH around the park to sightsee. You'll need a toad or a rental car to enjoy it best....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
might not need to replace the spare tire, if your current ones are "decent".
bumpy

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
At the very least replace the front tires. All belts and check and most likely replace all hoses. Check all the tires carefully as they are most likely 10 or more years old. Blowout = Family Danger! Replace all fluids and flush and replace coolant. Replace oil and trans fluid.
This advise from owing a 20 year old MH. It helped me avoid many problems.

Pogoil.

boatswain2PA
Explorer
Explorer
JohnoO2: Fa--s pass??

2Gypsies: I'm concerned with the mountains. Unfortunately there are not really even any hills within hours of where we are at now.

PRSTLK: We have RV roadside assistance through Progressive. Wanted to use USAA, but they don't cover MHs in my state.

Wallynm: Is CoachNet >> typical roadside assistance/towing from insurance companies like progressive? If so, how? (Looking at the Coach Net site, I need to follow up with Progressive to see if they have limits like 1 tow per year, etc. My understanding is they will take me to the closest repair shop capable of fixing).

Darsben: Tires look okay, but haven't checked the dates on them yet. Over 7years and you would replace them? With two spares, that would be about $2K. I only bought the rig for $5K....ouch!

Stick: Brakes look and feel okay, but haven't had chance to really "test" them yet.

Tatest: I have "tent camped" across country several times and completely understand your point about the differences between RV and tent campsites. I've tented in an open field surrounded by RVs running generators...not conducive for sleep! I think we would be fine with running off 15 anp power on this trip...anyone know if many of the RV friendly tent sites have 15 amp power?

Also, we will be taking it out to the lake all the time, about a 60 mile round trip. But again, unfortunately, virtually flat roads between here and there. Maybe we will take it on a longer trip...

BillMFI: I want to stay inside the park for just that reason. I remember driving into Yellowstone on first day and looking, in wonder, at the buffalo on the hillside 2 miles away. Two days later we were impatient in a bison induced trafffic jam. Even got to see two wolves on that trip there. It is really an amazing place, which is why I want to bring my extended family there.

I think I'm done backcountry camping, which is why I bought the motorhome. Last long backpacking trip was superstition mountains about 4 years ago. I'm just too old and broken for that stuff now.

Matt: I'm afraid because the coach is old, because I'm new to RVing, and because the coach is NEW to me. We have hand-held VHF radios.

I don't have hard-and-fast dates yet, probably end of July-early August timeframe before the wife and kids start back to school. Trying to coordinate this many people and their schedule is nearly impossible...might just take the wife!

Thanks so much to everyone for the information!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
You are afraid because the coach is OLD? We did just under 12K in a 1973 build this year and do 1K hauls regularly. If you keep up with the required maintenance, it is just the driving...

Start your research on Yellowstone TODAY. The only FHU in the park is Fishing Bridge and it is hard side only. Some campground parks are hard to get reservations for at this late date.

If you might take two cars into the park, get at least a pair of FRS radios. Cell coverage is spotty and you will be tied up in a Bison Jam or a Gawker Jam so just sit back and enjoy.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I was in Yellowstone some campgrounds were hard side only because of bears. You can google the info you need for camping both inside and outside the park. Summer availability becomes very tight and requires reservations. As others mentioned brakes and tires MUST be in good condition. Camping outside the park requires fairly long drives to/from every day and if in summer lots of traffic. Nitwits often clog the roads to get a pic of bears, buffalo and elk if they are seeing such for the first time. I go there in spring and fall when there is little traffic and no crowds at major attractions. If you are adventurous, the back country trails are mostly empty but can be rigorous.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂