cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flatbed towing

ttempleton
Explorer
Explorer
Pros and cons of towing auto with car hauler (flatbed)behind Class A.
Templeton
2003 DP Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PST
11 REPLIES 11

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I've also seen both an auto plus a golf car on a trailer, and auto plus boat overhead is done often as well.
-- Chris Bryant

Grant_Lasson
Explorer
Explorer
I made this switch recently. For the most part I'm happy with switch. My trailer is aluminum and has a tilt bed. It's easier and quicker to load and unload than four down. I'm surprised how often I back up now. I built a receiver hitch for the tongue and now taking bicycles is super easy. It tows very easily. I took a car this summer that couldn't be towed four down. I don't have the expense of setting up each vehicle to be towed. I'm not wearing out really expensive 35" tires on my jeep.

Two main negatives: long pull through sites are not that common. I only unhooked once during my main summer trip. I didn't make any reservations this summer but I will in the future. Staff moved my trailer for me with their tow vehicle. It worked out very well but could have been more difficult; second, it is an additional thing to maintain and it takes up space to store.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
You will also need a lesson in proper loading. Too far fwd or aft can make a trailer swerve. Almost lost a Ford Van one time from weaving. Will never pull one again. Pickups and cars yes. You can buy an aluminum auto trailer which is light too.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Georgew48 wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
Related question: Does the vehicle have to be secured to the flatbed? If so, how is that done? There may be some pros or cons in that part of the equation, too.

Only if you want it to stay on the trailer.. Straps or chains depending on the type of trailer. Most just use straps. Make sure they are rated to secure the amount of weight you are securing. Not the cheap 500 pound straps you get at Walmart.

Also make sure you restrain for all directions, fore, aft, lateral and vertical.

You made me laugh. Thanks. I think I want it to stay on the trailer. ๐Ÿ™‚
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
Related question: Does the vehicle have to be secured to the flatbed? If so, how is that done? There may be some pros or cons in that part of the equation, too.

Only if you want it to stay on the trailer.. Straps or chains depending on the type of trailer. Most just use straps. Make sure they are rated to secure the amount of weight you are securing. Not the cheap 500 pound straps you get at Walmart.

Also make sure you restrain for all directions, fore, aft, lateral and vertical.
2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Pros:

-You can tow anything, provided it has the clearance for loading onto the trailer.
-You can use it for other things, like home projects
-Easy to sell if your needs change
-You can back up
-No wear and tear on the car, and usually keeps it clear from stray rocks etc.

Cons:
-Potential to be less stable than either 4-down or dolly towing
-Tongue weight may eat into carrying capacity.
-Something else to maintain and buy tires for
-Hookup and loading will likely take longer than other options
-Campsite storage can be hit and miss. I wouldn't even consider a trailer that can't be towed by the car it's carrying, in case remote storage is necessary.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pros: Most any car or truck or motor cycle or golf car can be flat towed
Cons:
Storage at campsite. Some parks do not allow on-site storage unless hooked to Motor home. (Some even charge an additional fee, IE: Where I'm sitting)

WEIGHT: if your Class A is a gasser you can perhaps flat bed a Golf car, but even a Smart Car is going to put you over limit.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
You can back up. You don't put mileage on the car components. You don't have to finagle a set of towing lights on the car. Put a hitch on the car and it's easy to move the trailer around when not using.
Currently Between RVs

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Three vehicles instead of two. Hmmm.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Off hand, can't think of any pro's using a flatbed, as just another piece of equipment to deal with when traveling compared with towing a vehicle four down.

However if that is your preferred method of transporting your car then by all means use a flatbed trailer.

Best of luck and safe travels
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad