cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida 98/19 Destin to Clearwater.

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
How is this route in a motorhome. I would assume it to be slow but scenic.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thank You.

Pogoil.
11 REPLIES 11

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The alternative can bring you through Tampa, which is no piece of cake either, when it comes to traffic. US-19 is not that bad and it has plenty of places to stop for fuel or food.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
It can be quite slow and congested around metro areas but it's the only way to experience Florida IMO
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
BTW, once you get past the US 98/319 intersection you're going to see pine trees. More pine trees. Lots of pine trees. Did I mention pine trees?

You are warned. LOL

John-- never a problem LOL. Just recount them as we do every trip and you can pick up the ones you miss from the previous trip. I ran out of fingers to count pine trees at 10 on the last trip. Got messed up when someone planted a live oak on 19.

Oh well going down again next week on 19. Will start over again

Rascal

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, once you get past the US 98/319 intersection you're going to see pine trees. More pine trees. Lots of pine trees. Did I mention pine trees?

You are warned. LOL
-jbh-

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Lizzie are you staying in Homosassa?

To the OP..once you get into New Port Richey traffic will be thick and slow. I'd suggest you get on US 98 to the Suncoast Parkway (toll) south of Homosassa, follow through Veterans Expressway and go west on the Courteney Campbell causeway. It's a choice of highways and tolls vs super-thick traffic; the lesser of two evils. Be sure to do this at mid-day.
-jbh-

Fla_Tom1
Explorer
Explorer
We travel 98/19 from crawfordville to chiefland quite often (at chiefland we cross over to 75). It is the fastest/easiest way. 98 is very scenic in the panhandle , but to get to Panama city or destin take the right on 267 at newport florida follow it to highway 20(267 dead ends into highway 20) turn left on highway 20 it is 2 lane very little traffic alot of woods but not so scenic(but much shorter/quicker drive). If you take hwy 20 turn left on 331 will take you to destin.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We drove US 98 from Medart (south of Tallahassee) to Homosassa today. Great trip. Chatted on my cell phone off & on with no problem. lizzie

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
We do that run frequently. Great roads with a mix of urban stop and go traffic and long stretches of wide open straight flat runs. A whole lot of trees to count! 98 is 2 lane running east of Panama City to around Perry. 19 is all good 4 lane running south.

We use ATT and have never been without cell service on these roads.

Neat and convenient places to stop include: Panama City Beach,St Andrews community (if you can get in with your rig) Apalachicola, Carrabelle, St Marks ( an easy couple of miles south of 98), Fannin Springs rest area (immediately to the right as you cross the river), Walmart at Chiefland are all great pit stops- and there are many more.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have done it often. Little to no cell service.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
US 19 is a great road but you will start hitting traffic at Crystal River that will gradually get worse as you get closer to Clearwater. From Port Richey south the traffic can get pretty thick depending on the time you come through.
Just take it easy and you will have no problem.

hussbuss
Explorer
Explorer
It's great. We ran this route coming out of Tampa area last spring going over to West Monroe La. Good road, not a lot of traffic. mostly all 2 lane. I was pulling a 56 foot truck and TT. combo. No problems. Lots of stuff to see and small towns to go thru. If in no hurry it is great.