cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford E350/E450 Door Window Privacy Pop-Open Thingies

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
When stopped for the night, we always place this type of pop-open sunshade inside to cover the windshield, primarily for the heat, but also for privacy. It is fully private covering the entire windshield with no peep-holes.

Does anyone here know if there is a side window version designed specifically for the E-series door windows? We have a very nice pleated privacy curtain, but since I am already blocking the heat from the sun with the front pop-open, it would be quicker to simply pop-open two more, one for each side window. Using them instead of our pleated curtains would also open the cab to the house better.

I don't want something that covers the outside of the glass. I want something placed on the inside, MOST PREFERABLY the pop-open method.
12 REPLIES 12

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interior:
http://www.rvquickshades.com/rv-pana-shade-72w-x-46h/

Exterior:
http://www.amazon.com/ADCO-2407-Windshield-Cover/dp/B0002F68JK

I have both; Although my interior one is not exactly the same as the link. Instead, it is made of heavy vinyl, shaped similarly to the external type (although just a bit smaller), and attaches with snaps along the top of the windshield and doors. I believe it came with the RV when new. We use it every time we camp because it is easy to install from inside, gives full privacy, still allows full access to the cab/seats, and can be easily unsnapped at a corner (or lifted) to look out if needed/desired.

The external one is good for longer term storage (between camping trips) because it keeps the windshield and side windows from getting dirty while sitting.

Both of them, since they are vinyl with no framework, fold up very compactly; about the size of a typical daily newspaper.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
Easy Curtain

Costs a little bit more than the WallyWorld pop-ups, but fits the bill perfectly and lasts a lot longer!

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We use the curtain that came with the motorhome, but also use a thermal curtain to separate the cab from the house. The curtain really does a good job keeping the heat and cold in the cab from getting into the house. We bought 2 $10 curtains from Walmart. Walmart also sold a $20 version of the curtain that was suppose to do an even better job than the one we bought.

The curtain also blocks the cab off from view when in the house. We don't use that section when camping. There is a step from the cab to the house, so the seats can't swivel and be used in the house anyway.

We used a piece of para-cord and two frame hangers to suspend the curtains. The largest tension rod we could find was 7 feet long and we needed one 8 feet long. The current rod would work better, but the para-cord works well enough.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Ron,
We took reflectix (the foil sandwich insulation stuff from Home depot) and cut pieces to exactly fit the side windows. When traveling they slip under the bed and don't take up any room. Go in the window quickly and securely. Total privacy and they block/insulate from heat and cold.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
pauldub wrote:
I use the same kind that you're using on your windshield. I must have gotten car sized ones and they fit perfectly.
I read through all the replies. Thanks for sharing your own ideas. I think I will give pauldub, Mike Leslie, and Bea PA's solution a try first. If I have no luck, I will consider the others. And by all means, keep the ideas coming.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I use the same kind that you're using on your windshield. I must have gotten car sized ones and they fit perfectly.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Hank85713 wrote:
I use a foil type bubble window cover and took 1 cut in half and made side window covers. We pull in put the front shade in, then add the sides. I use large suction cups to hold them to the windows and have had no problems. Used some 1/2 inch grommets for the holes for the suction cups and got a couple of the key ring wires from ace to pull them off with. Think I spent a total of around $5 for everything.

Easy to install and no seeing in, for the windshield just put the visors down to hold in place.

I did a very similar thing, but when I cut them out, I left 3 1"x1" tabs on the top and front edge, I just roll the window down about an inch push tabs in and close window, privacy and insulation.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

GailS
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, Amazon has a set by HeatShield sold by Protrim Inc. They roll up, not pop-open. They list fitting years starting with 2008. It may not be what you are looking for but take a look.

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
The ones made for compact cars might fit, I use the old ones off the pusher for the dinette and bedroom windows, keeps a lot of heat out as we don't have dual pane on this MH. I had 2 of the small ones with the suction cups(use to block sun from baby)that I am using on the cab side windows along with the reg front pop out ones. Those along with the cab curtains really make a difference with heat.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I use a foil type bubble window cover and took 1 cut in half and made side window covers. We pull in put the front shade in, then add the sides. I use large suction cups to hold them to the windows and have had no problems. Used some 1/2 inch grommets for the holes for the suction cups and got a couple of the key ring wires from ace to pull them off with. Think I spent a total of around $5 for everything.

Easy to install and no seeing in, for the windshield just put the visors down to hold in place.

Mike_Leslie
Explorer
Explorer
We use the pop-up shades on the side windows. I use the fan-fold type on the windshield, so I am able to 'tuck' the pop-up side shades behind the fan-fold and turned down sun visor.

I works! I purchased them all for $1.50@ in an end-of-season sale. I even slip a pop-up shade behind the blinds on smaller windows. On the larger dinette and sofa windows I slip a fan-fold shade behind the blind.

I have aluminum side face out in the hot summer; the black side facing out in the cool weather to pick up a few sun rays.
Mike Leslie

Dragonfly
Explorer
Explorer
We just use a curtain between the living space and the cab. Not only is it easier but even with window covers, the cab is mostly glass, poorly insulated and significantly colder or hotter than the coach. Plus, if you are using the furnace or air conditioner a curtain will save you a lot of energy. If you don't have a curtain provided with the camper it is easy to cut one out of what ever material you wish then attach it to the edge of the cab overhang with velcro.
DRAGONFLY - 2011, Provan Tiger CX, on a F350, 4WD, regular cab chassis