cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford V-10 Techs Needed, Diagnos My Erratic Coolant Temp

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
OK I just went on a short trip out of town on my 08 Bounder Ford V-10, went to Laughlin NV and on the way back up that very steep climb out of Laughlin my trans was searching for gears since I was pulling my Jeep and Boat I decided to put the trans in 3rd on the shifter column and just cruise at 45-50 mph up the hill at about 4500 rpm's, I have never locked the trans in 3rd gear before just decided to try it today and about 4 to 5 minutes up the hill a beeping noise was coming from my dash says check gauges and my engine temp was at max in the red zone, as I slowed downed I shifted trans back into the drive selection and as RPMs went down the temp gauge moved back to the normal range in 1 second, yes it went from max hot to normal temp that fast, I dont know how fast it climb in temp did not notice that part.

So what the heck happen, I did drain my radator about 2 months ago and did test drive than but this was the 1st time out since fluid changes, I did check my radator fluid level at the next stop after this happened and all was fine and as far as I could tell my motor was never hot but the gauge said max hot.

So did running in 3rd gear do this OR did I have a air pocket stuck in the cooling system or what..

Yes its strange what happen but I have never seen a motor cool off in 1 second.

:C
34 REPLIES 34

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
OK I just found this on google search from a old post on here back in 2009, others have had the same issue with false temp readings on the F-53 chassis, I wonder if this to happen to me.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23285020/print/true.cfm

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Just a thought, my Duramax Diesel will run warmer than normal when climbing a hill but then the fan engages and the temp goes back to normal. Perhaps that's what is happening to your V-10.

My temp gauge was beyond normal, it was in the red zone but once I slowed down and shifted trans back into overdrive the temp gauge just dropped rapid back to normal like the motor was never hot at all, the V-10 can run higher RPMs than most V-8s, my trans temp never changed at all and the motor seemed just fine, no over heat pinging or anything, I will probably never locked it in 3rd gear again but sure would like to know what the hell happened..

I still had over 80 miles back to home and it never ran hot after that, it ran at normal temps rest the way home.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought, my Duramax Diesel will run warmer than normal when climbing a hill but then the fan engages and the temp goes back to normal. Perhaps that's what is happening to your V-10.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
charwan wrote:
You were killing your engine. 4500 RPM at 45 is just too darn much. I never run my engine at 4000. That engine would have been screaming.

The V-10 can handle 4500 RPM just fine I think its max RPM is somewhere around 5500 not sure, what I am trying to figure out is what happen and how can the temp gauge go back to normal so fast, never seen a motor cool down in 1 or 2 seconds.

Besides the hill I am talking about most gas motorhomes are going to be at high RPMs most the way up if your towing like I was, that Laughlin hill goes from a dead start at a light from 500 feet above sea level to over 2000 feet above sea level, you should see all the burnt ashplant on the road from all the fires from engine failures.

Could I had a gauge malfunction ?

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
You were killing your engine. 4500 RPM at 45 is just too darn much. I never run my engine at 4000. That engine would have been screaming.
N4FAP