cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forest River not playing the by the rules.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Today's story in the Elkhart Truth about Forest River
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog
10 REPLIES 10

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
The third thread on the subject.
Does no one use the search function anymore?
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
traveylin wrote:
Interesting that Ford maker of the Chassis is not included in the report. Next time you pay 150 thousand for an entry level mh, consider how much of the cost is administrative bureaucracy.

This is why an "entry level" 4 seat airplane that goes 120 MPH costs $412,000.

Was thinking the same thing.

Entry level sure has a huge swing on the sliding scale.

For the OP, I'm going to look into this. Thanks for posting. We were considering trading in the bounder for a FR.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Just Forest River? All the other builders are probably scrambling to ensure they are complying with the requirements.

What I wonder is where does the final builders requirements end and the chassis builder's start concerning recalls and such? The DP's must be a night mare. Final builder, chassis by a second, engine by someone else with a transmission by someone else,,,. Where does the buck stop?

Consumer vehicles (cars and light trucks) are simple, the final builder be it GM, Ford, Toyota and such is responsible regardless if the vehicle has a part that was built by someone else. RV's should be the same, the final builder such as Forest River, Thor, Tiffin, Newmar, whoever is responsible for the completed product support. We buy a complete product and write a check to them not one to Forest River, then Ford, Coleman, Norcold, Thetford, Carefree, Sony, Winegard, Dometic, Suburban. Did I miss a supplier?

Did you miss a supplier? YES, about 200 or 300. FR is the only one having this problem. All other OEM's comply. Doug

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just Forest River? All the other builders are probably scrambling to ensure they are complying with the requirements.

What I wonder is where does the final builders requirements end and the chassis builder's start concerning recalls and such? The DP's must be a night mare. Final builder, chassis by a second, engine by someone else with a transmission by someone else,,,. Where does the buck stop?

Consumer vehicles (cars and light trucks) are simple, the final builder be it GM, Ford, Toyota and such is responsible regardless if the vehicle has a part that was built by someone else. RV's should be the same, the final builder such as Forest River, Thor, Tiffin, Newmar, whoever is responsible for the completed product support. We buy a complete product and write a check to them not one to Forest River, then Ford, Coleman, Norcold, Thetford, Carefree, Sony, Winegard, Dometic, Suburban. Did I miss a supplier?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
traveylin wrote:
Interesting that Ford maker of the Chassis is not included in the report. Next time you pay 150 thousand for an entry level mh, consider how much of the cost is administrative bureaucracy.

This is why an "entry level" 4 seat airplane that goes 120 MPH costs $412,000.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
traveylin wrote:

The OEM (Forest River) just notifies customers as a courtesy (they do NOT really have to do it) if there is a chassis recall. Ford DOES have a complete division as does other chassis/auto makers for safety/product recalls that do follow the Federal law. Doug

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Effy wrote:
But it doesn't really say what the safety issues/recalls were.

What is says is simple. Even tho FR probably sent the required notices for any safety defects/recalls to owners and fixed the items as required, they failed to notify the NHTSA on any such action as required by LAW since the dates mentioned by the NHTSA. So, since FR did not do what is required and their answer was " the dog ate my homework", They are being fined. I doubt any RV owner was at risk, they just did not send the required paperwork to the NHTSA. Doug

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
When you read the report it makes no claim that FR was attempting to hide any data but claims it cannot produce the data the NHTSA wants due to a faulty record keeping system. FR has no excuse and should have known better. Warnings from the NHTSA previously should have been acted on quicker by the management team. This is an administrative failure that should not have occurred and we should expect a shake up in the FR administration over it. As for the fine, most Federal regulatory agencies have procedures in place that will allow the company involved to appeal and win reductions. I suspect when all is said and done the original amount when first issued ($100k+) will have to be paid but the subsequent fines after that when FR was attempting to collect the data will be dismissed or reduced. Relying on 3rd parties to comply with federally mandated reporting for you was pretty stupid on their part and no doubt an attempt to save money. I guess that didn't work out to well for them.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
But it doesn't really say what the safety issues/recalls were.
2013 ACE 29.2