Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From 5th wheel to class B

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
We presently own a 36ft 5th and a TC and we are thinking about a class B
We enjoy the flexibility of the TC but the loading and unloading is a little complicated
From what we see the class B offers the same flexibility and is always ready
We do not want to pull the 5th any more so we would trade it in
We do not do long stay camping any more
We would like a small camper that we can park just any where
Your suggestions are welcome
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd
8 REPLIES 8

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd look at a Roadtrek E-trek or Roadtrek CS with e-trek package. way of the future

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Take a run up to Quebec City and go across the river to see these Class B's..

Quebec B's You can get hard Top or soft top, diesel or gas...
We were up there looking a few months ago...they have them on Sprinter and Dodge Promaster Chassis as well as the old style CHEVS. Easily as good as Roadtrek, Pleasureway etc and right next door to you.

There are always some listed on Les Pac and KIJIJI...

They have a showroom in Saint Nicolas with all the models inside to look at. Also just up the road about 1000 feet is New West Vans..

The New West were very interesting more of a custom build possible there. Some very innovative ideas with them...

NEW WEST

Both these locations take trades..

These people sound like they are doing what you want to do:

Class B Travelling Van

A lot of nice info, their van is very expensive, also with most of them the ground clearance is poor.
I would inspect any Class B underneath to see if it has a bunch of plastic pipes and equipment near to the ground. You might encounter poor roads in some of your travels in remote areas of Quebec.

We have been thinking of making our own travel van with the new Dodge Promaster or the Ford Transit Cargo vans...to our own specifications.
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest renting a B for a short trip to find out if it is really for you. We love ours and find the compromises well worth it, but many find them too small, especially those trying to downsize. Remember, it is not like having your livingroom on wheels like nice 5th wheels can be. I think Roadtrek and maybe others have rental programs.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter
You are right the 5th is like a condo a few year ago we use to go to Florida for 5 weeks in the spring and about 6 week in the fall and stay put for the period this was perfect but we bought a condo so things have changed and the rest of the year we visit this why we bought the TC and we love it but we think that with the type of travelling we do a class B could be better
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
One way to think about it is that your fifth wheel is like a condo on wheels, and you already know all the space and conveniences, as well as the work & costs involved.

But a Class B is like a car - except it comes everything you need to live inside. (Our B actually gets more miles per gallon than our friends' towed car does.)

We use the B for our second vehicle, parked next to our garage so it is obviously a hop-in-and-go scenario. Arriving and departing at campgrounds is almost equally simple, usually just a matter of plugging/unplugging a power cord. (We fill the water tank about every three days, same interval for dump station.)

Not everybody will be happy inside the small space, but to me, the convenience, ease of use, availability of campsites everywhere, and great fuel mileage make the trade-off worth it.

The downside is the cost of even used class Bs, though they do have excellent resale value. We are getting a good return for our money because we use it so much, on the road camping several months each year. If it sat in the driveway, it would be a pricey luxury.

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
We did it. Our fiver wasn't as big as yours (24 ft) but about two years ago we sold it and bought a very small class b camper van. I'm not gonna lie -- it took some adjustment. We had to learn to pack more thoughtfully. We love it though. We take it everywhere -- camping, shopping, visiting friends and relatives, even took it to the drive-in movies a few weeks ago.

Coincidentally, we were recently pondering a truck camper for dry camping, so I'm curious about your complicated loading/unloading comment. Love to hear your thoughts.

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

studio_driver
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you first read the FAQs for this B forum. Then go from there.
Alain
2007 PW Excel TS
2 adults

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Floorplan preferences?
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van