cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front and Rear Sway Bar Replacement Bushings

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
Does it help to replace the original Ford sway bar bushings with the after market ones on an 2007 32 ft. motorhome? Has anyone changed their sway bar bushings? I don't want to replace the sway bars with after market ones.
3 REPLIES 3

RVWithTito
Explorer
Explorer
Any upgrade to the stock sway bar equipment on a 32' C is worth it. The stock equipment is simply inadequate for a large class C in my opinion. I replaced my front and rear sway bars with Hellwig bars. Together with Bilstein shocks, it was the best upgrade I've done. Now my 32ft C drives like an SUV.
2007 Four Winds 31F Class C; Ford E450 Chassis; 250 Watts Solar;

RV Solar, Towing, DIY and Tips on my website RVwithTito.com
Watch My Video Tips at YouTube/RVWithTito

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replacing Front Sway Bar End Link Bushings made a big difference in our 1983 E350-based Class C. OEM was worn out Rubber and NAPA was hard poly. Never changed the center bushings but I'm sure it would have helped further. E450 bars of your vintage have two problems. First, Front and Rear are both too small in diameter to provide the support a Class C requires. Second, your Front Sway Bar does not have End Links. Those came back with the 2008 re-design. The sway bar ends are poked into those bushings Bryan mentioned, pressed into holes in the axle. It may look elegant but geometry-wise it just doesn't work.
Along with Bryan, I'm an Axle Convert. A 4*4 converter shipped me a 400-lb carton on a skid and I changed it over in the driveway (with some coaching from Bryan, Thanks Again!). You could drive to Portland and get a "kit" from QuadVan.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The Moog polyurethane bushings are pretty good. Much better than the stock ones.

If you are planning on DIY, rent a chipping hammer (or buy a harbor freight one). You will most likely need it to remove the steel sleeves on the original bushings. I've tried pressing them out with not luck. Chipping hammer makes it a quick job.

How are your ball joints and brakes? If they are getting worn out as well, I highly recommend upgrading to a new front axle. It upgrades all the wear components and gives you stronger brakes, and a better sway bar design. You can buy new take-off axles from the 4x4 converters (Quigley, QuadVan, Advanced & UJoint-Offroad) for about the price of new aftermarket rotors alone.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST