cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front Mount Spare Tire and coolant or trans temp's

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Doing a search on front hitches and spare tire. Lots of info on weights and what people carry on front hitch but not if anybody has experienced overheating issues of radiator or trans temps after putting spare up front.

Asking specifically, has anybody experienced any overheating(engine cooling or trans temps)after putting spare tire up front?

Thanks
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
8 REPLIES 8

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
It was late '02 or early '03 that I mounted ours. So I don't remember real well. I didn't take the bumper off but drilled a small hole a little ways into the end of the end of the bolts, and used a steel wire to guide the bolts to and through the holes.

Dusty

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
trnfla wrote:
I installed a front receiver on mine and did a very detailed write-up on the process: Front Hitch Install

Good writeup! Like the pictures and the step by step hand holding. I am thinking about doing this. Is a 2" receiver available. I would not be using to to pull or push anything, that happens to be the size of the bike rack.

EDIT... I followed the web site. Found my answer. Again thanks.

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a front receiver on mine and did a very detailed write-up on the process: Front Hitch Install
Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a Reese front mount receiver hitch from Amazon, should be here today. Going on my 2012 E-450 based Lexington. Figure it and the mount and tire/wheel will add around 150-175 lbs to the front where it's light to begin with. Also removing around 100 lbs from the far rear under-chassie where its not needed.
Not really worried about coolant temp but as for tranny temp, I'll keep an eye on it. Easy fix is a large additional aux. transmission cooler, which would probably be a good addition anyway.
Grumpy

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
When I added my Buckstop bumper with 4-6" lights in front of the grill, it made my trans temp almost 30F hotter than stock. A tire may not be so bad because it won't be as close. I ended up going to a larger cooler to compensate (Tru-Cool Max 40,000 GVW). Since then, I've upgraded to a Rigid LED bar to replace the round lights. Now it over-cools and I keep the grill insert in year round unless I'm towing heavy in the summer dessert heat. I've also carried motorcycles up front, and they did not affect trans temps like the lights did.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
A Tiger CX (19' C on a Silverado, Duramax/Allison) owner reported on another board a few years ago that when he took the front mounted spare off of his truck, the water temp didn't change, but the transmission temps dropped by 10 degrees F. I can't say how this would translate to a van cutaway.

Jim, "There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't escape."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

wr1032
Explorer
Explorer
I had a spare front mouted on 99 Ford 250, never had a heating problem even when driving in Death Valley. Was loaded with 9.5ft. truck camper.
Bill
BILL

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Not with the 2013 Mercedes Sprinter 3500. Sprinter Store front receiver hitch, Curt C31006 and LT215/85R16 tire on a Sprinter steel wheel. I think there is more than sufficient air flow from below.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot