cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front outlets dead

1macleay
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I'm a new MH owner. Have a 2003 Fleetwood Flair 33R.
My problem is; I replaced the 2 house batteries about a month ago, now my front overhead outlets are dead. The ones in the overhead cabs that power the TV.
Could I have tripped a breaker? I've checked the ones I can find, but that doesn't always mean anything.
Also there is a small red light on the dash that is always blinking when the house batteries are not disconnected.
33 REPLIES 33

1macleay
Explorer
Explorer
Only breakers I found are under the oven and 2 on the generator.

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
You should have breakers in bedroom above emergency window.

1macleay
Explorer
Explorer
Tv doesnt work without shore power or generator. It does work with the generator usually.
I'm gonna look stupid now. When I first posted I never checked the other outlets. When I tried to test gfci I realized there is no power to any outlet, including new gfci and outlet to converter.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
doxiemom11 wrote:
In our motorhome, engine battery off , house battery on - all front outlets tv, dvd, radio, satelite etc work. Shut the house battery off and they do not. The interlock may be related to the chassis, but operation of all things up front are house related on ours.

That is why I ask if the TV ever worked without shore power. He said NO. Mine (Factory) was like his. Modified like yours. Only the inverter is pre-cutoff switch so it continues to run but the small 300-600 watt TV only jobs are usually hooked up post cut off switch.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
In our motorhome, engine battery off , house battery on - all front outlets tv, dvd, radio, satelite etc work. Shut the house battery off and they do not. The interlock may be related to the chassis, but operation of all things up front are house related on ours.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok so not a 12 volt issue no inverter, Check Circuit breakers,.

now one thing about a front mounted TV in a Motor home and there are 3 suspects here

There is an interlock,. it's a CHASSIS not a house device (even though the TV is otherwise a house device)

Ignitiobn on TV off it cuts off power to the TV. ACCESSORY position MAY do that. (or not)

The interlock is a simple relay and usually in the outlet assembly.

SUspect list:L
Bad relay
Ignition not in OFF or LOCKED position
Short on Chassis 12 volt system activating the interlock system.

1macleay
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Tv doesn't work with no shore power or generator.
Did t look in the wet bay for a gfci. Just in the bay by the door. I'll check it in the morning.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I keep seeing 12 volt Suggestions.
To the O/P does your TV work off an inverter when there is no shore power or generator present.

IF NOT. No inverter and the problem is NOT a 12 volt issue.
IF SO. inverter issue and well it gets more complicated

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t think you have an inverter. One of those outlights should be hot as long as you are on shore power the other will die when you turn your ignition switch. On my 04 flair 33r there are 2 gfci one in bathroom and the other in my wet bay.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
House battery disconnect will make your power shut off for the area/tv etc you are talking about having no power in. That is part of the "house". If you do any disconnect, it would be for engine battery which usually has a seperate switch.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
On your Progressive dynamics 9145a converter you have TWO 30 amp automotive type fuses. Check them both to see if one or both are blown, which can happen when changing batteries.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Anytime somebody has issues after replacing batteries I suspect a possible wiring issue. While this doesn't really seem to jive with your two non-functioning outlets (120v vs 12v) I would still check it out. Here's a link where somebody unknowingly replaced 6 volt batteries with 12 volt batteries and wired them incorrectly.
Link

From your post though I really think there is a GFCI outlet somewhere in your coach that is tripped. Try looking in all the outside compartments including places like the refrigerator compartment.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

1macleay
Explorer
Explorer
Both batteries are new and wired as previous batteries, so I'm thinking they're ok. I'll check voltages when I get a chance, maybe tomorrow but definitely by tuesday.
And I really appreciate all of you who have taken the time to help and to answer my newbie questions. Thanks to all of you.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Reason I said check the converter/inverter/charger was from an experience three months or so ago. When we had plugged in a small heater in front recepticale. When the convection oven was turned on or the coffeemaker all the ac ac circuits including tv, microwave convection etc also went dead. Breakers, in our revolution for house ac is at foot of the bed.
Two 15 amp breakers for tow 15 amp circuits. Neither was tripped. Cutting on generator caused weird behavior and noise. Inverter button would not operate anything but tv and drained batteries, and the voltage meter pegged in the high end.
Checked the inverter charger and three buttons of sorts actually two and a third with maybe a cap missing, was protruding a quarter inch or so. Pushed it down and fan on inverter converter kicked in and the circuits came alive, and house batteries were taking a charge again. Happened twice more and one time one 15 amp breaker tripped. Havne't figured out why the Inverter charger Converter was even involved and where the second circuit is as both GFCIs were located but only one breaker tripped but all ac circuits were dead unless thoe in the basement. Only other thing I can think of is one or both the batteries are wired ,wrong bad or dead.