cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front outlets dead

1macleay
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I'm a new MH owner. Have a 2003 Fleetwood Flair 33R.
My problem is; I replaced the 2 house batteries about a month ago, now my front overhead outlets are dead. The ones in the overhead cabs that power the TV.
Could I have tripped a breaker? I've checked the ones I can find, but that doesn't always mean anything.
Also there is a small red light on the dash that is always blinking when the house batteries are not disconnected.
33 REPLIES 33

grumpy3b
Explorer
Explorer
grab your multimeter & check the outlet voltages. If you don't have a MM buy one soon as it will be your best friend RV tool. Also grab a 110v continuity tester. They plug into each receptacle and report back any wiring faults.

While not likely simply replacing house batteries will cause this issue, it's kind of amazing how RV wiring issues seem to sense just when it's right to cause maximum confusion.

Do your other AC receptacles work and show 120v? Remember they are all wired in series so if one in that circuit has an issue another, several or all on that circuit can fail or provide low voltage.

Electrical, well 120v, is pure black magic to me so just sharing things I've stumbled into.

1macleay
Explorer
Explorer
No reset type buttons, no breakers at the foot of the bed.
Converter is a PD 9145a

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at the converter inverter. Thee buttons or extensions on top one might be popped up a 1/4 inch. Push it down.
Also check the breakers under the foot of the bed.

1macleay
Explorer
Explorer
I dont remember any snaggable wire in the battery compartment. Looks more like an inverter apparently.
I ha e a relay clicking in the engine compartment, it sounds like the #3 relay in the bank beneath the fuse box. (F53) any idea if that could be related? Just surfing the internet and trying to cover all my bases here.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You said: I replaced the house batteries (12 volt side of life)
And not two outlets (120 volt side) are dead.

UNLESS you have an inverter that powers the TV when not connected to shore or generator power the only connections between the 12 and 120 volt systems (there are at least two on a motor home) are:
1: the converter (the magic box that converts 120 volt to battery power and charges the batteries when on shore/generator power)

and optionally 2: An interlock on the TV to shut it off when driving (Normally only a single outlet.. YOu said TWO)

Odds are you snagged a wire that runs through the battery compartment unless you have an inverter.

IF you have an inverter it should STILL work on shore power.. But there are some options I do not know that well without eyes on.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The generator needs 12V power when running for the fuel pump and possibly control electronics. That said, 12V power on or not generally would not affect power to just certain 120V outlets from shore power; the only exception I can possibly think of is an outlet for a television in a motorhome that would be visible to the driver, which often has a relay to turn it off when the ignition is on. That generally would not cause a loss of power due to no 12V power, but rather the opposite.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your inverter is probably in a different compartment than your generator and may have one or two circuit breakers on the front of it.

1macleay
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new and don't know where the inverter is. Are they the breakers near the start/prime/stop switch? If so they are ok.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Circuit breaker on inverter or bad battery. You need the 12 volts for the fuel pump. No voltage no fuel pump.

1macleay
Explorer
Explorer
Lets try this from another angle. My generator should continue to run even if I hit the house battery disconnect shouldn't it? Mine stops running. Would that be a reason I have no power to the front outlets? I know they are run from the generator and from shore power.

1macleay
Explorer
Explorer
Its off and no keys in it.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
How about the ignition switch. Are you sure that it is off. On mine when the ignition switch is on like when I’m driving it cuts off the outlets to the front TV which prevents me from watching TV while I’m driving. It’s a safety thing.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

1macleay
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know where the inverter is.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Check circuit breakers on the inverter if you have one...when we lose front power on the passenger side, it's almost always a breaker on the inverter.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

1macleay
Explorer
Explorer
Just discovered the generator stops running when I hit the house battery disconnect