cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fueling

BIGBIRD130
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting ready to go pickup a 42' 2008 Tiffin Allego bus for a trip to Bristol Tenn
I used to drive a tractor Trailer so I'm familiar with how the pumps work but was wondering how you go about paying
There will be 2 of us so does one of us go in and give the person a couple of hundred dollars to start while the other one pumps?
I always paid with a company card
You do get a better deal paying cash correct?
Thanks for any info
2007 GMC Envoy Denali
14 REPLIES 14

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I use gas buddy and send my wife in with the credit card or cash. If everybody paid cash they would quit offering the discounts as moving all of that cash is expensive when they have to use a Brinks truck.

mustang652
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a gasser and we do always do cash. I've gotten pretty good at estimating how much I need, so when we stop, the wife jumps out to guide us in, marks the stopping point for the fill cap, unlocks it and then takes the estimated amount into the clerk and has the pumps set for that amount. Quick, easy and if there is a cash discount, we get it.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF Retired, Life Member: VSPA, VVA, DVA,VFW

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Desert Captain wrote:
"In the case above of DesertCaptain, it was a savings of $5.85. "

Actually the Chase card saved us $7.65 and GB found me a station that was ten cents a gallon cheaper than most of the others in the area ($3.25), for a net savings of $12.15 on a single fill up.

Often GB will find stations that are 20 to 30 cents a gallon less than the name brands along the interstates. When we are on the road doing 400 to 450 a day that is a 45 gallon fill up every day. It is not hard to save $10 to $20 a day in fuel and that will usually pay for our site for the night. :B

Even better, see what I mean! It pays to shop for fuel.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
"In the case above of DesertCaptain, it was a savings of $5.85. "

Actually the Chase card saved us $7.65 and GB found me a station that was ten cents a gallon cheaper than most of the others in the area ($3.25), for a net savings of $12.15 on a single fill up.

Often GB will find stations that are 20 to 30 cents a gallon less than the name brands along the interstates. When we are on the road doing 400 to 450 a day that is a 45 gallon fill up every day. It is not hard to save $10 to $20 a day in fuel and that will usually pay for our site for the night. :B

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some places you get a better deal with CASH, others with a specific credit card (MUST BE THE PROPER CARD) Flying-J/Pilot for example. Have done it all ways.

You may wish to join Good Sam's and/or FMCA (Family motor Coach Assn) as some stations discount if you flash/scan one of their cards first. (Same Pilot/Flying-J) There may be other discount programs as well.

Another option: Some credit cards offer rebate programs.. Shop for those as well.. As much fuel as you will burn if you travel full time.. Might buy the odd dinner or 3.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BUB1988
Explorer
Explorer
We try to find Hess stations that have diesel. They normally have a truck islands for big rigs, so RV fit nicely. Their diesel prices, at least in Central Florida are normally 20 cents cheaper per gallon that FJ/Pilot. They are also same price cash/credit. Depending on the type credit card the pump will pump between $125 and $250 before it shuts off and the pump allows you to swipe your card twice. Thortons and WaWas are cheaper as well, but harder to navigate.

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
Another good discounter is the Murphy USA, in association with Walmart. There app. shows stations nearby and gives up to the minute prices. Also if you pay with a gift card now until the middle of Sept. you get 10 cents off a gallon. the app. also will tell whether or not they sell diesel! See you in Bristol... Go#24
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. 😉

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We used GasBuddy on our trip in both the U.S and Canada. Funny to see people filling up at a station across the street where gas is .30 more per gallon or with GB finding a station just a block around the corner.

It adds up over time. I guess some people buy the higher fuel because they use an oil company credit card or as some people have told me, it's not worth the trouble or "X" company sells better fuel. We filled up with the cheapest fuel. The SUV runs on Mexican fuel 90% of its life and now has 175,000 miles with no issues other than maintenance.

In the case above of DesertCaptain, it was a savings of $5.85. People would drive from one store to another to save that on a purchase of some kind. We traveled 10,000 miles, it adds up. Plus, we slowed down and it saved us an extra 2 miles per gallon which over the trip was an additional average savings of $600.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ivylog wrote:
OP, I would suggest getting the GasBuddy App as in the last two months it's saved me 10-18 cents/gallon using my credit card for diesel. That's over $100 and I got the miles on $2600. It's amazing what a couple of blocks will make in the price of fuel and you do not have to use cash or a debit card.

X10 on the Gas Buddy app. I cannot imagine anyone fueling an RV not having, using and loving it! I get to tack on an additional 5% cash back from my Chase Freedom Visa this quarter and that really adds up. Filled up here in the Tucson the other day at $3.25 but after the cash back it comes out to $3.08 (and it took 45 gallons to top up the 55 gallon tank on our 24' C. :B

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, I would suggest getting the GasBuddy App as in the last two months it's saved me 10-18 cents/gallon using my credit card for diesel. That's over $100 and I got the miles on $2600. It's amazing what a couple of blocks will make in the price of fuel and you do not have to use cash or a debit card.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Pilot/Js latest scam is this. We fueled on I 81 N of Harrisburg at the Commercial pumps on the truck side (no RV pump at this location). Sign says 3.73 cash 3.79 credit and Commercial vehicles. I am not a commercial vehicle but the woman at the counter just gave me a ration of******until I walked out. Pilot owes me $6.00.Don't fuel on the commercial side at Pilot.You can get a United Visa and get FF miles for every $ you put on the card. We went to China and India on FF miles.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
After a four month trip through the U.S. and Canada, I have come to the realization that the rv.net theory of "gas stations only make pennies on a gallon of gas" has to be the farthest from the truth.

If it were true, why did we see cash and credit card discounts from .15 to .50 a gallon? That's not pennies and according to the theory would break the stations.

Another one was, pay cash and get a $10 car wash free. First off, the car wash has little or no value even close to the $10, and we saved $18 on a tank of gas so the gas station lost $8?

Then there are stations who charge a fee for paying with debit, in all cases it was .35 charge for a fill up. None of it makes sense. Many of the stations did not have a store attached to it or service bays.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Some places give a discount, others not. Yes check to see if you can get a credit card with a rebate to buy gas.

In Arizona, if you have a commercial truck, then you pay an extra 26 cents per gallon for truck stop fuel, for trucks over 26,000 GVWR. Motorhomes are exempt,, but would normally need to get fuel at the car pumps in order to get the reduced price. Other states might also have a fuel tax based only on truck GVWR, but I don't know.

It sure is nice to have dual 26 GPM fuel fillers when filling a 120 gallon tank. But even with 1 filler, it goes pretty fast at a truck stop. Car fillers are only around 8 gallons per minute, be patient, it will take 10 minutes or so. . .

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Bird,

You can get a better price for fuel with cash some places, but watch your cards... Right now, Discover is giving us 5% for fuel on the card and that is usually more than the mark-down for cash. There used to be a Pilot/FJ program with FMCA (You are a member - right?), but that was supposed to change and they have not been competitive for a while.

Yes, you can also walk in and give the clerk cash and get a receipt. Get the Receipt. (BTDT)....

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.