cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

generator problem

mabryoso1
Explorer
Explorer
My generator runs for 15 minutes coughs a couple of times then shuts off let it set for about 10 minutes, then it will crank back up and run for about 1o minutes and shut down again. have it under load. any ideas what could be going on???

Thanks Mabry
12 REPLIES 12

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your genny problem could be caused by a number of things. as someone who works on these things, if you posted complete model/spec/ser. no. I may be a little better able to help. Most Probable cause is fuel pump or control board (the control board feeds power to fuel pump) To determine actual fault, you need to be able to test fuel delivery as soon as shuts off, and check for power to fuel pump from control board.
Onan has posted two different groups of fuel pumps that had higher than normal failure rates. Need to have manufacturer's date code from pump to determine if yours might fall in one of these dates

also, when your unit shuts off, it should display fault code (series of light blinks at start stop switch) your operators manual should tell you how to read these codes, and this can help to identify system (fuel, ignition, voltage output, etc)that is at fault

dalerussel
Explorer
Explorer
This summer, after having the oil changed on our generator (Onan 5500) it would run for a while and then quit, especially while driving. In looking at the generator, I found that the mechanic did not attach the cover correctly. Upon reseating the cover, the generator worked fine for the rest of the summer. This fix seems silly, may not be your problem but it worked for us.

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Probably have the same unit in our 2002 32V Itasca Sunrise. changed the air filter, both fuel filters, and the oil. Worked fine until I put it under load, then it would shut off after about 20 - 30 minutes. Put in a new fuel pump and fixed the issue. Just got back from a trip to the desert southwest, boondocked with no generator issues.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

fivejackie
Explorer
Explorer
I had this problem, it was cause by low fuel level. My generator shuts off when the fuel gauge falls below 1/4 tank. It will start, but stops a few minutes later.
Don and Jackie
2115 Hurricane 27K
2113 Redhawk
1992 Pace Arrow

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
Check the fuel filter or the fuel pump.
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem with a 4000K unit. It turned out to be electrical connections. If you take the cover off, there was a large plug with a lot of wires. Gently pried apart, sprayed we tuner cleaner, plugged and unplugged multiple times, back together and problem solved. Don't know if this could be your problem but solved mine and symptoms the same. Just be very careful prying apart as multiple tiny prongs in plug as looks like main connector. Good luck.

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel filter.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

mabryoso1
Explorer
Explorer
SORRY: the generator is a onan HGJAC 5500 in a southwind 32v motorhome

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
And check the oil level.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you give us more info we can't help a whole lot.
Change your fuel and air filters if they have not been changed recently.
If you don't know when they were changed, change them.
Start with the simple easy things.
Is there sufficient fuel in the tank?

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
What genny do you have???
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
mabryoso1 wrote:
My generator runs for 15 minutes coughs a couple of times then shuts off let it set for about 10 minutes, then it will crank back up and run for about 1o minutes and shut down again. have it under load. any ideas what could be going on???
Thanks Mabry

It would be nice if we knew which generator ?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.