cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genny oil

RJL
Explorer
Explorer

I have a 2010 Damon Challenger 368 on an F-53 chassis.  My Cummins generator calls for 15W-40 oil.  Went over to Napa and picked up 2 quarts.  Got it home and noticed on the label it said "Heavy Duty Motor Oil".  In talking to the man behind the counter he said I should be ok as the diesel oil just has a bit more detergent or cleaners in it. He also said he hasn't carried gas 15W-40 as far as he can remember.  He's been there for years and is a good dude.  

I've been changing the oils for the MH since I bought it used in 2013.  I'm thinking I've been using the Diesel oil all this time.

Would I be ok if I used this oil?

Thanks,

Bob

2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
3 REPLIES 3

goodady
Explorer II
Explorer II

You're all set with that heavy-duty 15W-40 oil. I've got a 2011 Georgetown on the same F-53 chassis, and I’ve been using the same type of diesel oil in my Cummins generator for years without any problems. The extra detergents in the diesel oil can actually help keep things cleaner. 

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad

I'd recommend that you check for the required API ratings in your generator manual and then compare to the oil you bought.  That should address any concerns that you have.  Valvoline's 15W-40 Premium Blue One Solution Gen2 Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Oil, for example, is for diesel, gas, and NG engines, and would likely fit the bill if your oil isn't meeting the requirements of your generator.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad

Yes, OK to use. 15W-40 is usually for diesel.

2010 Suncruiser