cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Get rid of the bad odor or smell.

Antjaw
Explorer
Explorer
I had posted a question on these forums a while ago asking the best method for removing the old stale smell from an RV after storage. I live in Florida and my RV probably hits about 7000 degrees inside, cooking every little thing into an offensive odor of some sort. The coach never smelled horrible, but just smelled like "Hot Chemicals" as you would expect a 15 year old coach to smell after all of the vinyl, glue, carpet, formaldehyde and every other thing gets cooked on a daily basis.
One of the members here suggested renting an "Ozone Generator" as these things destroy odors at their source for them to never return. I looked into buying ($400+ for 500 sq foot room) or renting ($100 per day) a unit.
After some further research, I found a "Bare Bones" unit on Amazon for under $100 that was about 100 times stronger than what you would buy for $400. I figured since I LOVE throwing money at problems, I would give this a shot

Following the instructions, 15 minutes of use killed every bad smell in the coach. 5 minutes in my 10 year old car and I could smell leather like it was new.
You can use this anywhere, but it is a shock treatment, which means don't be in the room for too long and don't have plants an animals in the room (Ozone is an irritant). It literally kills mold, mildew, mites and any smells. I now have this thing set on a timer to run 15 minutes every night in the RV.

I know I sound like a salesman, but I am just seriously impressed by this thing that I had no knowledge of before.
Here is the link to the unit.

http://www.amazon.com/Foreverozone-Shock-Treatment-Ozone-Generator/dp/B007GS3T8O/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1436848027&sr=1-1\

Please feel free to ask questions.
1998 Coachmen Santara (M-360 MBS-FD) 36 Foot, Class A, Ford 460 7.5.
8 REPLIES 8

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Antjaw wrote:

The instructions say it is perfectly safe to use every night for 15 minutes (all though it's really only needed when you notice odors come back).

Those two statements would seem to be contradictory.

It seems that you know it's not needed every day yet you run it every day anyway.

And we all know that no manufacturer of anything ever has made false or incomplete claims about the safety of their product......right ??

Antjaw
Explorer
Explorer
Yes,
Ozone can be corrosive if materials are left exposed to it for an extended time. This is why I put in my original message "Following the instructions, 15 minutes of use killed every bad smell in the coach". It also has warning in the instructions, specifically mentioning NOT to use it for more than a few hours at a time or damage can occur, specifically to metal parts. I had no experience with Ozone generators previous to this, and when I first cranked it up, it started producing large amounts of ozone that you could smell. I immediately thought to myself, "I know this smell". It smells like corroded metal. Most often I encountered this on my aluminum pontoon boat.
The instructions say it is perfectly safe to use every night for 15 minutes (all though it's really only needed when you notice odors come back). Ozone is created by oxygen. It breaks the molecular bond, so the more air flow, the better results. Ozone also returns to oxygen very quickly (the warmer, the quicker). So basically, it would take about 15 hours of constant saturation to start doing damage. When you run it for 15 minutes, the Ozone has returned to oxygen within 10 minutes of turning the unit off. According to the research I have read, you could legitimately run it for 2 hours, every night of the year and cause no damage (to non living things).

I'm no expert. I just did a little research before buying it. I don't like masking odors with candles and sprays, so I figured I would try this.
I just wanted to give my opinion in case others may want to try it. As with anything, do your own research before proceeding.
1998 Coachmen Santara (M-360 MBS-FD) 36 Foot, Class A, Ford 460 7.5.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
It will also damage the leather and plastics if used too often.

Given this, I wonder if running it every day might NOT be a good idea.

If there IS any damage, it would be small and cumulative and you might not know it until it is too late.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ozone generators are used by contractors and restoration people to remove odors after a fire, flood, or other event that can cause odors to form. The ozone will kill most mold and fungus if used as directed.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon Ozone Generator Clicky

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will also damage the leather and plastics if used too often.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Bath and Body and get 4 plug ins with the sent of cinnamon, plug one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen,close all doors leave top vents open,and you will be amazed.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
An Ozone Generator produces a powerful corrosive ozone. It doesn't do nice things to materials but it does kill molds and germs etc.
I would suggest first off a good cleaning with ordinary household cleaning materials, soap etc suitable for the particular material.
You may find mold and mildew, from Florida air in many hidden places too.