cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

getting 1988 bounder 31k up and running

Bob360
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a house from my aunt and it came with an RV. I took trips in this thing as a kid and the interior is perfect. The problem is it hasn't been started in 10 years. Prior to that my grandmother whose it was has it fully serviced so she and my aunt could go on a trip but she was diagnosed with terminal cancer and that didn't happen. I wanted to start a basic restore of the motor to see if it will fire but I cant find any resources on it other than its most likely a Chevy 454.

Does anyone know where i can get a parts list to start with? I need to find info on the basics oil filter plugs wires hoses belts. Then I can start draining fuel and replacing batteries.
18 REPLIES 18

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Check the oil, water and chassis battery are full and just fire it up.

X2!

Chum lee

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Check the oil, water and chassis battery are full and just fire it up.

crb478
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimin wrote:
I have an 83 chevy chassis, and the bottom of the gas tank has 2 plugs, one at each end, at a corner, that can be removed, to drain the tank.

They appear to use an allen wrench to remove them. Have a look underneath, and seal the plugs when re-installing them.

Buy a cheap 12volt generic fuel pump and just pump it out into containers. use a long enough hose to reach the bottom of the fuel tank. You can usually get it down to the last 1/2 gallon

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going yo try to prelube by spinning the oil pump with a drill, drain the old oil first and replace with new. There will be a lot of contamination in the old oil and no point in spreading it through the whole motor. When looking down on the motor, you turn the oil pump clockwise. Pay attention to where the rotor is pointing before you pull the distributor. You will need to put witness marks on the engine to get the proper positioning of the distributor, and you will need to mark the distributor where the rotor is pointing to get the distributor gear and cam gear properly engaged.

Those 454 truck motors are pretty rugged and can stand up to some abuse. They are not hard to rebuild if you are fairly mechanically inclined and can find a shop to do any block machining that might be needed. Lots of aftermarket parts for those motors. Even if you choose to just buy a rebuilt motor to drop in, that block will be salable to some hot rodder unless you crack it.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
An old method we used to use on an engine, was to remove the distributor, and attach a long shaft with a flat ground on the one end, (much like a flat blade screwdriver), to a drill.

The end with the flat ground on it, goes down the distributor hole and engages with the oil pump. Crank away with the drill, and you will have oil everywhere except the cylinder walls. (you can use the method above for them)

After you have oil everywhere, you can put the distributor back in, and crank away, knowing everything is lubed.

You can mark the distributor before pulling, so you can get it back close enough to start the engine, and then set the timing after it is running.

Yes, it's extra work, but does provide an additional level of protection with lubrication.
If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
WD 40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT

Correct. Pull the plugs and give it one good squirt with 10-30 or 30 weight oil. Try to aim it at the cylinder wall, not the top of the piston. Gravity will make it work it's way around and down to the rings. This will keep you from wiping the rings on a dry cylinder. Do everything you can to make sure it will start on the first attempt to crank it. Good gas, clean oil, good battery, new oil filter, check the air filter. Even if you do everything right remember there's old fuel in the lines. If you change the fuel filter that will help it get fresh fuel that much sooner. Once it kicks over keep it going and watch all the gauges for pressure and temperature. No doubt you will probably have to crank it a number of times before the good fuel hits it. It's gonna smoke from the oil so don't be alarmed. You need to change the coolant too. Have another person watch the engine compartment and underneath for leaks. Good luck she should run.

This method is correct. The only thing I would add: once you have added the oil to the cylinder thru the spark plug holes, dry crank the motor with the plugs out and the new oil in place. This just lets the starter turn the motor slowly without compression and the dry cranking will allow the cylinder walls to be completely coated, plus it will allow the oil pump to get oil to the lifters. This process will make sure all parts of the motor are coated with oil before it's started and hit with a lot of RPM's. Oh, and another trick, when you change the oil filter, fill it with new oil as full as possible before attaching to the motor. This will get oil moving thru the passages a lot quicker.
Good luck, and you'll love it when that motor roars back to life.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
WD 40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT

Correct. Pull the plugs and give it one good squirt with 10-30 or 30 weight oil. Try to aim it at the cylinder wall, not the top of the piston. Gravity will make it work it's way around and down to the rings. This will keep you from wiping the rings on a dry cylinder. Do everything you can to make sure it will start on the first attempt to crank it. Good gas, clean oil, good battery, new oil filter, check the air filter. Even if you do everything right remember there's old fuel in the lines. If you change the fuel filter that will help it get fresh fuel that much sooner. Once it kicks over keep it going and watch all the gauges for pressure and temperature. No doubt you will probably have to crank it a number of times before the good fuel hits it. It's gonna smoke from the oil so don't be alarmed. You need to change the coolant too. Have another person watch the engine compartment and underneath for leaks. Good luck she should run.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Bob360
Explorer
Explorer
" I have an 83 chevy chassis, and the bottom of the gas tank has 2 plugs, one at each end, at a corner, that can be removed, to drain the tank"
This helps a ton thanks!!!

STBRetired wrote:

If you want to keep it running well for a long time, you should pull the motor and do a full rebuild on it

I was thinking about just getting it running for a couple years and when/ if the motor goes ill drop it and replace it then. I was looking at rebuilds and there only about 2-5k so if i can get some use out of it while i save to replace it would be best. At this point were only looking at weekend trips down the I5, basically where can we get on a full tank round trip.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
WD 40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
PBBlaaster is better in the cylinders than WD40. If it has been sitting for 10 years there is a good possibility that it will have a seized ring or two. Won't keep it from running, but will eventually damage the cylinder wall and cause it to burn oil.

If you want to keep it running well for a long time, you should pull the motor and do a full rebuild on it, replacing parts as needed. All the bearing surfaces are going to be dry, the lifters are most likely gummed up, there is probably rust on the cylinder walls, might be blocked coolant or oil passages. Same thing with the transmission. Should have the valve body cleaned and will probably need new clutch packs.

Or, you can just fire it up and hope for the best. Might get a few years use out of it before serious problems develop.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Deep cycle marine is not as good as two 6 volt golf cart batteries. They are about $80 each at Costco.
You should be able to find pump to empty the fuel tank at Harbor Freight. It is going to be very difficult to empty completely. Look at the fuel tank filler hose to see how it is to come off for easier access then trying to use filler port.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
I have an 83 chevy chassis, and the bottom of the gas tank has 2 plugs, one at each end, at a corner, that can be removed, to drain the tank.

They appear to use an allen wrench to remove them. Have a look underneath, and seal the plugs when re-installing them.
If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

Bob360
Explorer
Explorer
crb478 wrote:
I would pull the spark plugs and fog the cylinders or at least spray some wd40 down the cylinders and replace the plugs.Let it sit for at least a week before trying to turn the flywheel with a flywheel turner.

That along with the hoses and belts was my plan. Any suggestions for emptying the gas tank? I was looking for a siphon pump and cleaning the tank with muriatic acid.

I looked up the chassis info like suggested and ordered a manuel so I know what to buy. It is a chevy 454!

I have a friend who can get me deep cycle marine batteries so im hoping i can find a match there to save some coin.

Thank you all for the advice and anymore you have for me!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like that unit for all the windows particularly on the driver's side. Big project but worthwhile.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad