cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GFI Popped and Won't Reset

Merry
Explorer
Explorer
The gfi outlet in the kitchen area of our Pleasure Way popped and we can't get it to reset. We don't know why it blew. This controls all outlets plus the refrigerator etc. Frig and hot water are running on propane. We have checked all obvious causes such as fuses. I'm sure we are just missing something simple. This is a brand new unit. This is the first time we stayed in it since we bought it a month ago. Right after we signed all the papers, I received a phone call that my elderly mother and fallen and needed surgery immediately so we have been staying with her or I'm sure this would problem would have come up sooner? We bought at Lazy Days and I will call them if we can't get it working.
Thanks so much for any suggestions.
2014 Pleasure-Way Pursuit (B+)
15 REPLIES 15

Circe1322
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar issue right after purchasing my practically new Roadtrek. I pushed Test on the GFCI receptacle breaker and could not get it to go back on.

I called Roadtrek this morning. The trick to resetting the GFCI receptacle breaker is to push it first **ALL THE WAY OFF ** then push it on. It takes some * muscle ( for a woman ) because I thought it was off, but when I really pushed it off , it then was truly in the off position and then it went back on - without difficulty and - without needing to be connected to shore power. And all outlets work fine.

arm
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same issue but on our 5th wheel. Turned out it was not the only GFI plug on the circuit. There were three and had to reset them all. Not saying that is your problem but check it out. The fridge was the culprit after a rain & wind storm blew water into the bottom vent.
2011 Roadtrek 190 Versatile
1996 Roadtrek 190 Popular
1990 Dodge 2500 conversion
1982 Dodge 1500 conversion

Explorer
Explorer
There is something else to check before replacing the outlet. Turn off the power, take the outlet out of the wall and look behind for dampness or a water leak. The GFI pops in the presences of moisture and won't reset if it is still wet. Make sure it is completely dry. If so, then replace the outlet with a new GFI.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Merry
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your replies. We have tried all of these except for replacing the outlet itself. We called Lazy Days and will be bringing it in for them to look at as it's under warranty. We tried the hidden button trick, running the generator, unplugging things and then plugging them in and nothing has worked yet. We thought it might be the outside outlet as we had heavy rain but nope. Or maybe I had splashed water on the kitchen one but no. Or a problem at the pole, but we have a Progressive power surge protector and it says zero errors. We do have power, the tv and blu ray work but not the outlets nor the refrigerator. I will update when we find the problem.
Thanks again everyone
2014 Pleasure-Way Pursuit (B+)

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
Is the shore power you are plugged into also a GFI?

Sometimes they fight each other and don't play nice.

The other might be off not letting the coach one reset.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
GFI/GFCI are the same thing, and will not pop because of an overload. If the GFCI popped it could be a bad outlet, or GFI. GFI's are there to protect you from being electrocuted, so if you have one popping find out why, and get it fixed.

ChiMom
Explorer
Explorer
Merry, I also have a PW, but not the Pursuit. I think the following instructions may still work for you since it is a common problem for PW owners: Open the door to the compartment that has the battery "kill" switch in it (the red key). You should see two circuit breaker boxes in there too, a 40 amp and a 15 (or 20) amp. On the side of each box is a teeny tiny button that pops out when the circuit breaker is activated. You have to push the button in to reset the breaker and turn on the electricity again. Now, this button is very very small and may not be visible; you have to feel for it usually.

If the Pursuit doesn't have this set-up, I'm sorry. I suggest you try joining the PW Facebook group and/or Yahoo group since many more owners have experience to help you there.

Good luck!
Barbara, Florence, Rascal (bad chihuahua), and Annabelle (good girl turning bad)
Rainbow Bridge: Magoo (baddest chihuahua)
2007 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD: Miss Daisy

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind, that the refrigerator is now running on battery so you need to make sure the converter is working or you will have more problems.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with what others have said above, but the OP states that this is a brand new RV. If I could not find anything obviously wrong I think that I would return to the dealer for warranty work. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

ffjeff
Explorer
Explorer
Before replacing a GFIC. Try a different shore power or run off the generator first. There is a chance your shore power connection is the problem.

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
I second Downtheroad. An electrician told me they were having lots of trouble with new, out of the box, GFIs. I had one go bad, replaced it with a new one and it was bad. I experienced that once in a Roadtrek and once at my home. Maybe I am just jinxed. After I finally got a good one in both places, no more problems.

Do check the shorepower first. Then fuses/breakers before trying to replace.

PSW
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

I assume you checked the obvious to make sure you have power coming in to your shore power cable...
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Good advice from Bud.

I would add that you should unplug everything from all 110 outlets including microwave and fridge to test for power.

When you get power back plug them in one at a time to be sure one of them is not the culprit.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Happened to me too...drove me nuts trying to figure it out.
Finally just replaced the GFI receptacle - it was faulty/worn out or something, but it solved the problem.

We were on the road...Home Depot for a replacement.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro