cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Sam GPS

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking to upgrade our GPS in our Bounder, wondering if anybody has used a Good Sam GPS.

Good Sam GPS

Anybody have experience with it? Pros/Cons?
Thanks!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.
8 REPLIES 8

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Just received ours. It is very user friendly. Much more intuitive than my Nuvi. I like the large screen. Have not traveled with it yet or uploaded any POI's. I love the ability to input the rig size.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does anyone know how the RV specific GPS's work. What logic do they use when you input the length and weight to route your RV? Do they default to a truck route anyway? What data base would they use to differentiate between an 80k lb truck and a 30k MH?

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very interesting. I like how it would suggest the roads to stay off of... Looking forward to more replies.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
Peralko wrote:
Like how you can input the length of the coach so the Nav system can route you around road not suited for motorhomes.
I don't think it will do that. It might send you on the truck routes, but most truck routes I've ever been on, I would not take my motorhome on. They go through the factory districts. RV-specific navigation and content is probably interstate navigation and rv content is GS campground POIs. You can do that with Garmin.

Ours is a 7725 and we have had no trouble so far. Last year we started on a road that had a sign "not recommended for vehicles over 40" so we turned around. The nav system would have given us an alternate route--I've already tried to program in a couple of different roads. Also it has a lot of campground and RV-related POIs other than Good Sam. We like it!
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Peralko wrote:
Like how you can input the length of the coach so the Nav system can route you around road not suited for motorhomes.
I don't think it will do that. It might send you on the truck routes, but most truck routes I've ever been on, I would not take my motorhome on. They go through the factory districts. RV-specific navigation and content is probably interstate navigation and rv content is GS campground POIs. You can do that with Garmin.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Unless they upgraded the processors from the previous RVND 5510 and 7710 I would stay away from it. That's all they are is the same RVND models with GS campgrounds on it. The previous ones had every campground in it anyway so I am not sure what the GS partnership is all about. I have an RVND 5510 and the thing freezes up constantly. Tells me I will be on a dirt road in a half a mile even if I am on the interstate, and the customer service for Rand McNally is obviously overseas. In India I think and they don't speak good English. I have had mine replaced twice, and it still freezes up in the most convenient locations like on the DC beltway. The solution by customer service is to download repair files which takes hours. And not real convenient while travelling. And touch screen response time is very slow. Like 10 second between the time I touch the screen and it reacts. Again not helpful in traffic. It has some great features, lots of POIs and is fantastic when it works. And that's the problem, a lot of times it stops working. It's not reliable. Again, if they upgraded the processor over last years RVND models, maybe you'll be ok. Otherwise look elsewhere. I will never buy another Rand McNally product again. Now I use the co pilot app on my I phone. Cheap and easy. I may never buy another gps.
2013 ACE 29.2

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
We just picked ours up today. Like how you can input the length of the coach so the Nav system can route you around road not suited for motorhomes. It's a lot bigger than our Garmin, and once we learn to use it, it should be great.
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I went to the factory site and thought I ordered it, but will see when it gets here. The model number straight from the factory is different than the one at CW. It looks very promising.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008