cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS

Bobbo___Spike
Explorer
Explorer
Previously owned a Garmin Nuvi 680. It served us well on a cross country trip in 2008. No longer working and we need to purchase a new GPS for another long trip to Alaska and would like some imput as to which GPS for RV's people recommend. We are considering the Garmin 760LMT or one from Rand McNally. We have a 40 foot diesel pusher.
39 REPLIES 39

alemar
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a Garmin 760LMT just prior to leaving for Orlando in Jan. Worked wonderfully. Fast boot up. Accessed the sat signals very quickly. I took it off the stand and used it as a tablet to get to my cousin's house and back,. The internal battery lasts about 1.5 hours so i turned the unit off when I arrived at my cousin's house. I have no complaints whatsoever with this unit. Still have a Garnin Street Pilot 2730 in the truck. I really like the 7 inch screen of the 760.

Garmin safely,
Alex

NMace
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
We Do. This
No more telling us to take a dirt road.

I use that also, but it requires a continuous internet connection to show maps as you move. The OP is going to Alaska.

I thought you could use a hot spot or whatever the little box my grand kids used to use to get movies on their smart phones is called. Of course going through Canada they will be without cell service at times, but there are not many intersections at those times.
2002 Silverado 6L 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2011 Puma 295 KBHSS

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
We Do. This
No more telling us to take a dirt road.

I use that also, but it requires a continuous internet connection to show maps as you move. The OP is going to Alaska.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

11B
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin RV 760 LTM this dude even tells you which lane to be in for exits. Love mine

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I have had great luck with my Garmin but it is almost 13 years old so I am currently trying my ipad mini with Motion X. Not enough use to make a judgment but so far I like it. One added bonus is I can move the ipad into my rzr and it will give me topographical maps with waypoint and tracking options.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to be living on the edge this year and use a tablet with CoPilot GPS app. Aways wanted a bigger GPS for the coach but the high cost of a large screen wasn't something I could budget to replace something that was working. The tablet was a Christmas present and the app I think $9. Comes with maps so I don't need consistant internet service. If it doesn't work out I have a nice tablet to play with at the camp site.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

waltfire
Explorer
Explorer
I use my phone with google maps for free. Either blue tooth or plug into radio and directions are given over the speakers making it easy to understand. It's tough looking at the screen at the very moment you need to merge or turn.

roundown8366
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a smart phone, go to the app store and download the free Waze app. You use it for free and it beats all the GPS's that I have. Far as I'm concerned it puts all brands of GPS's to shame

Updates within seconds by the user, tells you about wrecks, cops, vehicles on the side of the road etc.

Try it, I think you'll like it.

Dean

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Garmin Dezl 760, which is similar to the RV version. I like it and it has one great feature.
You can enter your RV's profile into these models, ie: enter the height of your RV and then it will not make a route that would take you towards too low an underpass. It also can be put in automobile mode for regular routing like any other Garmin.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have the RV specific Garmin and I love it.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Delorme:

https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=35148§ion=10047/

Operates in Windows environment to a laptop etc.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well. My choice is Microsoft S&T with dongle and this 15" computer.. But S&T is discontinued... Perhaps the Rand Mcnally product.

I really like the 15" monitor on the laptop stand I made... Beats the pixels out of that tiny Garmin Screen.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Garmin 2720 I don't remember what year I bought it but it was when they first came out cost a bundle compared to what they coast today. But it still works and is the one I use in the Motor Home.
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
I use Sygic on my three Android devices.

No broadband data required.

One reasonably low fee creates three GPS machines (2 phones 1 Tablet) with 5" or larger screens.

Co-Pilot App is quite often used as well by others.

My first Garmin cost $650 and was obsolete in 5 years.

My phone app updates frequently both maps and software at no charge.

Paid the $20 fee 4 years ago and have had reliable service ever since on several different Android devices.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

RicJones
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Garmin 2797lmt and really like it. It has the 7" screen which makes it easy to read in the MH. It has a lot of features and can connect to a smart phone for additional features. I would highly recommend it.