cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help ! Looking at a Trek Safari and have a few questions

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a 1998 Trek with 60k miles,,,454 engine, with headers, upgraded steering device all new brakes and tires....questions and concerns,,,,
The windows have the seal creeping issue,,,,what is the best most cost effective repair ??

The roof seems like a 1 sheet plastic,,,doesn't seem bonded to the underlying plywood,,,,normal ??

Also the carpet looks like 1998 carpet,,how hard to tear it up and put a good vinyl or pergo or something down ??

Thx

Price is 15k FIRM...

I tried posting this on Trek Tracks but that site sucks,,,they move the post and bury it 4 pages back under 91 others,,I will get NO useful responses,,,,
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
25 REPLIES 25

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
As you said, the windows are not leaking so they could be taken care of one at a time. I believe you may also find instructions online to repair them yourself if you want to try to tackle the project.

Do you know of a site that tells how to repair ??? I didn't see any

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
luberhill wrote:

. . . . .

I tried posting this on Trek Tracks but that site sucks,,,they move the post and bury it 4 pages back under 91 others,,I will get NO useful responses,,,,

I recommend you try again with Trek Tracks. It is the largest group of knowledgeable Trek Owners you will find, anywhere. Don't understand your problem with your posting .... Posts are often moved to the more appropriate category if they were originally posted in an inappropriate category. They are still readily available to forum readers. Posts do end up getting 'buried' as they scroll down in pages as new posts show up. That happens in any popular forum, including this one. It might help if you made your Subject line a bit more descriptive of what you are looking for to include the 1998 Trek.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
As you said, the windows are not leaking so they could be taken care of one at a time. I believe you may also find instructions online to repair them yourself if you want to try to tackle the project.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
luberhill wrote:
crasster wrote:
For 15k I would run not walk. You can find several other used coaches that are in decent shape for 15k

If the windows were not like this I may buy it,,,runs and looks great !.....I don't see ANY smaller coaches in this shape for 15k around me,,,A dealer would chg 19k for this,,,,,

Safari Treks tend to keep their value because of their unique floor plan. Like any other RV, you take a chance with ANY used vehicle which is why you do a thorough inspection and ask for paperwork. Saying to walk/run away from an RV, with zero knowledge about it, is just foolish. The windows should be used as a negotiation tool. They can be fixed.

well he already said he isn't moving off 15k....but maybe if I flash some C notes....I would want the windows done asap...but at 250.00 per window im looking at 1500.00

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
luberhill wrote:
crasster wrote:
For 15k I would run not walk. You can find several other used coaches that are in decent shape for 15k

If the windows were not like this I may buy it,,,runs and looks great !.....I don't see ANY smaller coaches in this shape for 15k around me,,,A dealer would chg 19k for this,,,,,

Safari Treks tend to keep their value because of their unique floor plan. Like any other RV, you take a chance with ANY used vehicle which is why you do a thorough inspection and ask for paperwork. Saying to walk/run away from an RV, with zero knowledge about it, is just foolish. The windows should be used as a negotiation tool. They can be fixed.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
luberhill wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
There are many companies that will redo the windows. Cost is about $250 each in this area.
The roofing material is called Filon and is a fiberglass type mesh product. If kept coated, it will last decades.
Carpet is carpet. It will be stapled down so just yank it up and remove the staples. Install whatever flooring material you want after that.

So the roof should be coated ??? With what ??....the windows are a problem,,,no water but the seals are creeped in further than 1"....

So under the carpet Is probably plywood ?? Not aluminum ?

There are many types of roof coatings that are acceptable. Some use the brand Kool Seal but there are others that are available at RV stores, Home Depot, etc. Basically it is a white elastomeric coating.
The windows, if not leaking or fogged, are something you can delay until you can't stand it anymore, or are near a place that services them. One place I know of is in Hudson, FL called Suncoast Designers, and they have full hook-ups for you to park there while they repair your windows.
Under the carpet will be a flake board type product that is laminated to a foam core. Once the carpet is removed, you can install more carpet, laminate flooring, real wood flooring, ceramic tile, or whatever suits your style.
According to NADAGuides.com, $15K is close to average price, NOT counting any extras that may come with the RV.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
There are many companies that will redo the windows. Cost is about $250 each in this area.
The roofing material is called Filon and is a fiberglass type mesh product. If kept coated, it will last decades.
Carpet is carpet. It will be stapled down so just yank it up and remove the staples. Install whatever flooring material you want after that.

So the roof should be coated ??? With what ??....the windows are a problem,,,no water but the seals are creeped in further than 1"....

So under the carpet Is probably plywood ?? Not aluminum ?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Those windows with the crawling seals are manufactured by SEGI.
Two options.

1: Have a RV window company remove the windows and re-seal them. Pricey!

2: If there is no water in the windows, you could trim the glass with some 1" black vinyl. Both inside and out. Hide the issue. I saw this on a very nice coach in Yuma and it looked OEM.

Most likely the roof is EPDM. If it's deteriorated, coating is an option. I prefer "Liquid Roof"
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson