cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help w/Streets and Trips...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
I've purchased Streets and Trips and love the way a route can be customized to show the way I want to go rather than the way the GPS routing wants to go. BUT, I cannot figure out how to download the route(s) to my Garmin nuvi 2595! Any advice and counsel regarding the procedure to use in downloading will be greatly appreciated. / Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
14 REPLIES 14

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
PenMan wrote:
Aren't computer guru sons great? I have one too.

Penman: Without my "Computer Guru" son living only two blocks from me and able to help me immediately when I get in 'computer trouble', I would likely be unable to even turn the darn thing on! My only problem with him is that when he tries to explain something to me it goes so far over my head it's like listening to someone talking a foreign language. Come to think about it...computeze is a 'foreign language (to me)! / Larry
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't computer guru sons great? I have one too.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
This is from the OP:

My son has solved my problem of transferring routes from S&T to the Garmin 2595. He gave me step-by-step procedures. They are: 1. Plug the GPS into computer, 2. Click on "Open Device to View Files", 3. Dbl. click on: "Internal Storage", 4. Dbl. click on: "GPX File Folder", 5. Open S&T Application, 6. Open "My Documents" (where I stored the completed routes), 7. Open the route to be exported, 8. Click: "Data" at top of screen then "Export to GPX File", 9. Name the route and click "Save", 10. Go to Documents and click on the route to be exported and pull to the GPX folder. Note: the doc file and GPX file needs to be side by side for that last procedure.

Hope the above is helpful to someone. I know it seems like a lot of work but it goes quickly and works!

Thanks to all who responded (and especially to my computer guru son).

Larry
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

crappie_fisherm
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a S&T user of 8+ years...in conjunction with a stand alone GPS for our travels.

I use S&T to PLAN the trip with the route the way I want it...I even print out our 3+ week summer trips in the "strip map" format with each day on a new page...and we take that with us.

What I do is similar to those above in that I simply program my GPS and alter the route to MATCH my S&T route by way of waypoints/etc...this way I have my printed out maps for my wife to use and I have the GPS that should be programmed to match that print out.

I spend 5 minutes the night before we are hitting the road to program the next day's travel route in the GPS...

I gave up trying to export and import the .gpx files...and simply spend the few minutes each night to get my routing set in the GPS...I find it much more reliable and it keeps me in control...LOL

I'm still a huge S&T fan this way I can scout out the best routes and plan on the big screen of the home computer...then once we are on the road...I can program the GPS accordingly each travel day...we've been doing it this way for many years and it seems to give me the most flexibility with the least variability and allows me to set MY route the way I WANT TO versus Garmin software that will put you its way to save 0.001 miles or 0.000001 seconds...ha-ha...

Good luck!

Joe.
2007 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QSH 350Cat (3 women and 4 slides...Just RIGHT! :B)
2012 Jeep Liberty Sport (toad)

2005 Ford Excursion V10 w/4.30's (Sold)

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Most laptops have inferior sound and there screen gets washed out in sunlight. I used a laptop on my dash based on recommendations on this forum. Really was inferior to a 5 inch GPS, does look pretty cool though when posted on the forum.

Also you need a GPS when you're in the toad. Having the DW holding the laptop just didn't cut it. Buy a good GPS and be done with it.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
wny_pat wrote:
RV Geeks On Tour use to have a excellent video tutorial available, but like everything else good, it appears you now have to pay and join their membership forum to access it. And there is no guarantee that it is still available. Use to be free on the web, and still may be but I can find it.

Laptop GPS World has a forum devoted to Streets and Trips. You might find something there.

I gave up doing what you want to do and got a 12" laptop that I use for my Streets & Trips GPS. It is mounted on a small laptop swinging stand. Does double duty as computer and GPS. That is a speaker sticking up on top of the screen. It could be moved somewhere else. I just leave the Garmin Nuvi in the toad.

This is a great idea, as streets and trips is superior to just about every GPS out there (except for google on a phone but you can lose 3g/4g in the boonies).

Also for you techies, you can get a 2.4 GHz antenna and run it from a USB wifi chip to one of your mirrors. It makes getting wifi at RV parks better.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
In S&T export your route to a .GPX file. Then hook your Garmin to your PC so you have access to it's GPX file folder. Drag your .GPX file to the Garmin's folder.

Disconnect your Garmin and go into the tools and do an import route from the .GPX file. I'm doing this from memory so I may be slightly off on a step or two.

I use to do it this way all the time, now I do like others which is use S&T for the big picture, then load up the days drive in the Garmin by hand each morning using waypoints and end point. Just seems to work much better.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

justlou
Explorer
Explorer
Smitty77 wrote:
I seem to have S&T items 'shaded out' not available, so need to sort that out.

If you click on your destination on the map,(not the route planner) it will activate the "send to GPS" icon.
justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
OP - I've had two recent bang head on wall moments recently. Trying to export a route to our Garmin (DEZL 560 set up for RV size, one benefit of the Garmin over the S&T for navigation while driving)and second with trying to import POI's from the Discover User Group links...

I seem to have S&T items 'shaded out' not available, so need to sort that out.

Excuse me if this might seem like an attempted hijack, not my intent:)! But, for those of you using S&T for traveling navigation, how is the interaction say compared to the Garmin (or other GPS's). Distance to next turn? Lane to be in for exit? Etc.

Matt - Everytime I see the CK quote, I chuckle and nod my head yes!!

Best to all,
Smitty

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Or, you can do what we do...

I outgrew S&T years ago and while it is stupid easy to download the route to the Garmin we keep on the dash, I found it to be simpler to just set the Garmin up for that day's run, or maybe even just the first stop of the day. This is easier as I have used the navigator to plan the entire excursion and that is often outside the capability of the little stand-alone GPS. Once there, clear that route and set the next. As we are travelers and not so much campers, we do a lot of avoiding well traveled roads and the Garmin just can't be made to understand that we don't want to take the big road. Besides, this doesn't require getting out any other cables and lets you see what Mr. Garmin is thinking is good.

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything.
- Charles Kuralt

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will not bother you with how to do something I have never done or researched but ... I will ask a question.

Why put up with that tiny little screen on your GARMIN when the screen on this laptop in front of me is 15.6" wide and my netbook is about 12 inches wide? I mean the much larger screen means I can see way better when I'm on/off route, I can scan it in a glance and what's more if I want to make a change it is WAY WAY easier typing on a keyboard (But you know that).

My Garmin.. Well.. i don't much use it any more.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
RV Geeks On Tour use to have a excellent video tutorial available, but like everything else good, it appears you now have to pay and join their membership forum to access it. And there is no guarantee that it is still available. Use to be free on the web, and still may be but I can find it.

Laptop GPS World has a forum devoted to Streets and Trips. You might find something there.

I gave up doing what you want to do and got a 12" laptop that I use for my Streets & Trips GPS. It is mounted on a small laptop swinging stand. Does double duty as computer and GPS. That is a speaker sticking up on top of the screen. It could be moved somewhere else. I just leave the Garmin Nuvi in the toad.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
I use waypoints to program the Garmin the way I want to go and print the streets and trips out. I have been wondering if sending streets to the Garmin will take up space as I have already added a card to the GPS.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

justlou
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the Garmin Communicator Plugin installed? If so highlight your destination on your trip route and then select "send to GPS device" on the toolbar. If you do not have an MSN Direct service you must use a USB connection. You can get detailed directions using the S&T Help button. Search for Send Route to GPS Device.
justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2014 Honda CR-V AWD