cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I know if my Charger, Converter is bad? Pics inside

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
So I've noticed that when I am running my generator that my house batteries (2 6v Trojan T105's) are not charging. I've checked all my fuses etc and everything is good. The Charger, Converter has 2 30amp fuses that are both good. When I measure at the plug receptacle where the Charger plugs in I'm getting 120v. When I check at the terminals where the battery leads come in I'm getting 12v. When I turn on the generator and measure the leads that come from the battery it never goes over about 12.65v. I would think that the Converter, Charger would be showing 13+ volts? Any idea what is going on? I've pulled my Converter, charger to take it to the dealer tomorrow and see if maybe they can test it with a load or differently somehow..

Here is what my Charger, Converter looks like..
2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

18 REPLIES 18

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your post correctly. If your converter charges at 14.4 v on a "single 12 v battery" it should charge 14.4v on 2 6 v batteries wired in series to make 12 v. 14.4 v sounds like a good converter to me.

This is a normal failure. Seems to work as designed until a real load is placed on the converter, then some component is weak and goes open, preventing proper operation. A lot of times it is a solder joint, but finding it and actually fixing the problem is another thing. Normal open circuit voltage for an converter is 13 volts +/- 3 volts. I recommend the Powermax Boondocker converters for a replacement as they hold up better than the others and are fully adjustable. You can go to just about any size converter you want, but you need to be aware of the AC current draw if you do not have an management system or you boondock and use a 2,000 Watt generator as it could overload your system. The reason I mention boondocking, is a management system does not know you are using a smaller power input than it is calibrated for.
Wildmanbaker

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not sure I understand your post correctly. If your converter charges at 14.4 v on a "single 12 v battery" it should charge 14.4v on 2 6 v batteries wired in series to make 12 v. 14.4 v sounds like a good converter to me.

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Well just an update. Our Converter charger did end up being bad. When I would hook it up to the single 12v battery it would show 14.4v. When I would add another battery isn't the situation like my 2 Trojans it would drop to 12.3. Bought a new Intelepower converter charger and now it's working as is. Glad we figured that out. Also batteries are staying topped off.

Now my next thing I'm considering doing is adding another 2 Trojans. Would this be a good thing?

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Check for 120 volts coming to converter.
Then check for 12+ volts coming out of converter. If both have correct voltage, its not the converter.

doug

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Upgrade to a Progressive Dynamics that will go to 14.4 volts or more. If it's easy enough to replace the number 4 vs crimping on butt connectors then do it. Check all the connections to the battery and install fresh connectors if needed. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Just this past fall, having the motorhome in for service, I asked the tech to check the charging system thruout. He came back with "the converter still works, but is borderline failure". Not bad for 14 years, eh?
He recommended a PARALLAX 4455. $209 on the net. ($279 at the dealer! oops....) Easy install. I was surprised at the difference in the size and weight of the converter(s)....the old one was large, heavy, cumbersome. The new one was almost 1/3 the size of the old one, so lightweight that I secured it to the floor with Velcro...Same wires, same hookups. So far, so good.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
lacofdfireman wrote:
Also I wanted to ask another question. My Converter/Charger was a major PITA to get out of my Motorhome. They had it packed into an area so tight you couldn't hardly get to the screws to remove it. There's plenty of room in the compartment to relocate it but the 4awg wire coming from the batteries to the converter/charger are way to short. To be honest I'm not sure I can even get it back in because there's no room to work in there. Can I just wire nut on some 4awg wire extensions and make it so its serviceable? I'd need to extend the wires probably a foot.

Adding on to the wires is fine.
I'd probably use some type of butt splice, crimp connector as opposed to wire nuts on that size of wire. #4 is pretty big for a wire nut.

How much trouble would it be to just replace the entire length of wire? Remove the original, go to an auto parts store & get one long enough with the ends already crimped on.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
With 120V AC power source IN a converter (any converter) should have at a MINIMUM 13.2V DC OUT when battery is disconnected from converter.

Any voltage less than 13.2V converter is/has failed.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

michigancougar
Explorer
Explorer
I had bought several converters and sold them from surplus - when tested with no load they all showed 13.5 to 13.55 volts - so yours sound low compared to those
2014 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi
Pullrite Superglide mounted on Reese picture frame to factory ram pucks
one wonderful traveling companion - my wife

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
DrewE wrote:
It may, of course, take a reasonably long time (hours) for the voltage to rise to the full output level if the batteries are discharged a fair bit, as they would be at a 12V resting voltage.
x2

I'm missing something. Your OP seems to indicate you read 120v before turning on the generator. Huh? Does it charge on shore power?

Sorry. I am getting 120 from the generator.

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Also I wanted to ask another question. My Converter/Charger was a major PITA to get out of my Motorhome. They had it packed into an area so tight you couldn't hardly get to the screws to remove it. There's plenty of room in the compartment to relocate it but the 4awg wire coming from the batteries to the converter/charger are way to short. To be honest I'm not sure I can even get it back in because there's no room to work in there. Can I just wire nut on some 4awg wire extensions and make it so its serviceable? I'd need to extend the wires probably a foot.

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
DrewE wrote:
It may, of course, take a reasonably long time (hours) for the voltage to rise to the full output level if the batteries are discharged a fair bit, as they would be at a 12V resting voltage.
x2

I'm missing something. Does the charger work on shore power?

When I took the charger out of the RV I plugged it in to one of my house outlets and I measured voltage where the battery wires come in to the charger and it measured 12.65v Is that what your asking? I never actually plugged in my 50amp shore power to check the converter thy way. I only checked it off the generator.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
x2

I'm missing something. Your OP seems to indicate you read 120v before turning on the generator. Huh? Does it charge on shore power?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
lacofdfireman wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
Many rigs have an auto-reset breaker near the battery - doesn't look like normal breaker or fuse - should find a picture of it with Google search. If the auto reset breaker goes toes up then battery is isolated from the system.

I do have a a few places that look like that. We measured 12v at all of them?

If it does end up being the Converter, Charger which one should I upgrade to?

I use a Progressive Dynamics 9200 series converter - they are popular on this forum. Check the amp output on your current converter and get something similar.
Kevin