cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how in the heck to pick a used class A

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1999 Fleetwood class A we bought from my son and used a few times, but it needs to go to motorhome heaven. We want to buy a nice used one and are stymied as to how to know what to choose.

Our budget: Up to 65,000.
Only the two of us.
DH's priorities: 30 feet, no more. Well built inside and out.
Mine: Lots of storage, decent kitchen space. Comforts of home on the road but don't need a bunch of slideouts or things like a fireplace. We like our no-slideout Fleetwood but it's worn out. Don't want to feel like it's poorly made. We'll use it several times a year for 2-week to 1-month trips. We live in Colorado.

We've looked online for a while but find all the possibilities confusing. Can anyone give us advice about the most efficient way to look? Thank you in advance!
43 REPLIES 43

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
Look at a lot of small things that are broken, missing. If they are a lot of them shows to me it was not maintained.
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the Mirada DS29 for $37,000, contingent upon them having the generator fixed and a noise in the ignition (I may not be describing that correctly). Seemed like a bargain to us, and we thought it handled and drove very well. Interior is pristine and like new, with lots of upgrades. A little too "homey" for us, but that's all right.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip to check out diMartini. I would just have to include the cost of airfare should we find one that really, really calls our name!

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If you are concerned about rattles think about what would rattle if you took your house along. Dishes and other things in cupboards are #1. Tichtening can really help a lot. I replaced upper ball joints on my 95 Roadtrek and it really got quieter. Cost was $800. and that included some other work as well. As you can see by my signature I don't think your coach is old. My '75 GMC is very quiet with air suspension and aircraft engineered body.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster, I just clicked through diMartini's inventory,and they don't have anything that matches us just now. The funny part is, we actually went to diMartini's when we were visiting my son in California three weeks ago. They told us they'd have a much larger selection at the first of the year. We may have to just wait until then. Thanks for the reminder! I had forgotten about them.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Susan, a fun site to browse for used DP's is : www.DeMartiniRV.com there a high volume RV Dealer in California they show you the fair price that there asking. If you don't like that price they encourage you to make a counter offer. They sell lots of RV's in a years time! Go on to there site a click on used DP's.

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Condition is the important factor when buying a used RV.
A low end unit in excellent condition is usually a better choice than a high end unit in poor-fair condition.

Be prepared to compromise on what you want.

Look at everything in you budget range, don't limit it to the make.

when you find something you like, concentrate on that make/model. But, be ready to make a compromise.

***Link Removed*** is a good place to search, they have the floor plans on the advertisement, it will give you an idea without seeing the unit in person.

When you narrow it down to certain RV's, don't forget to check the tire age. RV tires usually age out before they wear out. You may find the right motorhome and then realize you need to buy new tires.

Use the search as a learning experience and ask lots of questions on the forum BEFORE you give the seller any money or sign any agreements.

Hire a RV tech to do the inspection if you feel you are not capable.

OK, I'm gonna jump right in here!
These are things that I will need to know in the near future. My wife and I have been toying around with the idea of selling our 5'er and buying a motorhome. Since we have two Jeep Wranglers (YJ & JK) to act as toads, we are looking for something capable of handling that extra towing duty. We are only looking at used MH's. I have been scouring the internet looking at units and evaluating them as to cost and suitability. We are empty-nesters, and would travel with our two labs (chocolate and black). Right now we are in a 30 footer and it suits us fine, but the wife would like to spend more time exploring destinations. We normally tow with her truck, and unloaded it rides like a buckboard since I've added the Timbren overloads on it.
We are not newcomers to the RV lifestyle. When we met (in 1987) she had a 17' Serro Scotty she pulled with a '73 Chevy C1500, and I had a small truck camper on a 1978 Dodge Power Wagon. From that we have gone through larger truck campers, four pop-ups, a 13' Shasta Ultralite, a 15' Sunlite, a couple of Terry's (24' & 27') and we are now on our second fifth wheel. Heh, at one time we had a truck camper, two popups and the 27' Terry parked in our back yard. It just depended on how far we were going on the next trip as to which one we loaded up. But I digress; we are familiar with what to look for on the coach end. I just want some input as how to tell if an RV has been cared for by the previous owner, and which units have known problems to look for. I went through ALL 81 pages of the breakdown thread in the sticky section. That in itself nearly convinced me to not venture into the motor home arena.

So, what have we done so far?

First, we set a hard budget. Since we will only pay cash and never consider financing, we have decided that $25K is our limit. Based on that, we seemed to have ruled out most DPMH made this century - which is bad since we really like diesel when hauling. Our trucks are typically used for hauling hay, cattle, or one of the tractors when not being used for recreation (RV'ing), so we appreciate the abilities and efficiency offered by a diesel engine with a sturdy transmission and oversized drivetrain. I am also familiar with all of the preventative maintenance required as I try to do all of that type of work on all five of our vehicles and both tractors, and all of our trailers.

Second, we started looking around local lots to find the floorplans and amenities we liked. We are lucky to have a PPL lot near us in Cleburne. There is also a CW lot up on I-35 north of Burleson we have been meaning to visit, but they have a very limited selection of MH's in our price range. I have all but given up on trying to find one on Craig's List - even though that is where we found our fiver about four years ago. All of the MH's seem to be either scams or units suitable for use on a deer lease, providing you have a suitable truck to tow them there if it is further than about 100 miles!

Third, looked for an active Class A forum to ask questions!

It is looking like the units within our budget are going to be from MY2003 to 2005 with a gas engine. I am hoping to keep the unit to around 32', as that is the length of our RV cover now. Also, I think that length should give us the requisite towing capacity to haul around one of the Jeeps through most terrain. I won't ask if the Ford V-10 is superior to the Chevy 8.1L or 7.4L Vortec, as I don't want to start a brand war. Either one would be OK with me, as long as it can do the job. I just realize that I will probably be going slower than I currently do with a diesel pulling a 10K camper.

My dream would be to find a repoed P chassis with a blown up 8.1 for about $5K. I promise to build a special "P-Pumped" 24 valve ISB to mate up to the Allison transmission and then hit the road!

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
That was driving on roads that weren't perfect.

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
The rattles were so loud last trip that we couldn't even talk on the phone and hear what the person calling was saying. Wind noise didn't help either. I think we're going to give up. Maybe it was driven hard by an earlier owner. It only has 60,000 miles on it; 20 of them ours.

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought of driving while your husband rummages around looking for the rattles? It's possible that a few screws need re-tightened. Screws will work loose after a time of bouncing down the road.

I agree with you on not needing a slide. Being just the wife and I (and our last 2 sliders leaking), I'm content without a slide. If we were full timers, then maybe I could see a need, but just camping a couple weeks here and there, we can get out of each others way when needed.
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
Sure. It has some fixable problems (differential leak, radiator leak, uses some oil, two small leaks, staining from old leaks, don't like the shower). But it also is very rattly, with a lot of wind noise also. Very wearing. If we could find an RV rehabilitator who could do everything from upgrade the upholstery to fix the rattling, we'd go for that, since we don't need anything larger or with slideouts. But I think the rattling isn't fixable, and it's very wearing on a long trip.

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
May I ask why the current MH is ready for MH heaven? Just curious ( if not nosy ).
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again, everyone. We're still thinking about the Mirada, but DH would really like a 30-footer and it's 31'11". I'm going to post separately asking if most State parks (which is where we like to stay) have a 30-foot limit. Someone told us they do. We've never really noticed because ours was a 30-foot.

Tim_Leenhouts
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at dealers and they are out of their minds. I went online and checked every available means. Finally went to Craigslist. Believe it or not, a lot of dealers and owners put them up on this site. Found a 32 foot class A with 22K miles and every option available when it was built in 2004. It was at a small dealer lot in NC about 3 hours from us. Got it for about half of KBB valuation and so far we've had a ball with it.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
PPL Motorhomes is a good place to look at what's available and to see prices.

HERE is a link to their website. They have all kinds; gasser, diesel, etc.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C