cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HOW IS YOUR CRYSTAL BALL?

NMace
Explorer
Explorer
In reading about the multifuel generator on another thread, got me thinking about a propane or cng Class C.

Just seems a good fit.

My dad had a couple propane over the road trucks in the 50's - 60's, and I had a converted pickup in the md-70's gas shortage. Refueling took some preplanning and we had one blow up in a Springfield., MO carwash. And you lost 15 - 20% power.

I know propane cost is way up these days, but should go back down.

The real questioon is when will compressed natural gas be readily available, if ever.

The attraction to me is a single fuel source for everthing.

What do yoou see in the future?
2002 Silverado 6L 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2011 Puma 295 KBHSS
26 REPLIES 26

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Natural gas powers more than 12 million vehicles on the road today. Unfortunately, only about 250,000 of these are being used in the U.S., according to GE. The average growth rate in the U.S. shows a 3.7% increase per year since 2000, as contrasted with a booming global growth rate of 30.6% per year.

http://www.cngnow.com/what-is-cng/Pages/default.aspx

I heard that it is very popular in Thailand. I suppose it happens that a particular fuel tends to capture the majority of the market and then is difficult to change because of the infrastructure cost. Gasoline and diesel pack a big punch per gallon anyway.

I see the same website says natural gas is half the price of gasoline. I wonder if that includes the 100% fuel tax?
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Shell, TravelCenters of America Develop LNG Fueling Network
Article
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Frosty_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
while i'm not suggesting this powered the vehicle, it was parked at wally world in yuma off and on several times and each time the windmill was going pretty good. assuming electrical source looked to be pretty sophisticated. folded down for travel just like a bat wing. i've also seen solar panels here; i wonder about the weight involved in solar panels. also wonder how much power this windmill actually generated (larger than it looks here). in the meantime, i'm glad we still have a fuel option and for our size vehicle, gasoline works.
wind power
wee3-gin, clyde & the bichon frise
2002 Forest River Windsong-34' Class A
Workhorse 8.1 W22 with Allison Tranny

1996 Geo Tracker-4WD--"Trudy"
2003 Minnie Winnie 30V - "The Frosty Hauler" (Class C)
May the Angels guide your wheels and ride on your shoulder.

NMace
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.cngnow.com/stations/Pages/information.aspx

The above map shows more CNG station than I thought there were, I know the one in North Little Rock is not real convenient and as it is owned and operated by the city, I don't know about hours of operation.

It was just a thought.
2002 Silverado 6L 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2011 Puma 295 KBHSS

Burnin__Fuel
Explorer
Explorer
Natural gas gives even less power than propane for the equivalent volume but there is so much of it around. It once was burnt off as waste cause before pipe distribution systems it wasnโ€™t worth the trouble to transport. A tank for compressed natural gas would have to be very large & or very highly compressed to get any range for a class C. We will see CNG as the fuel source for back up generator at home/business a lot more in the near future. We have seen when the power goes down for an extended time shortages occur cause of coarse cant pump fuel at stations that are without electricity.

Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Nope. Solar and wind will be future.

Because that is all that will be left.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

pompomgirl
Explorer
Explorer
Wind turbine on the roof ...

The physics of this situation is that a wind turbine on the roof will take more energy than it will produce, just like an alternator on the axle.

When DH and I were in the electric vehicle business, I lost track of the times someone said, "I don't understand why you haven't thought of putting a windmill on the roof" (assuming we hadn't thought of that idea that wouldn't work) or "... an alternator on the rear axle," which has the same problem. It was always the rear axle. We could never figure out why they thought an alternator on the rear axle would work better than on the front axle. :h

Maybe the poster of the wind turbine comment was joking, but you would be amazed at how many people seriously suggest this idea and never can understand why it is a joke.

I won't get started on solar. Yes, it has some good uses, like keeping the battery charged.

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
LNG is being seen as the future in a lot of larger horsepower applications, such as ships, ferries, tugs, and supply boats, as well as power plant back-up power generation.....but I just don't see it in the RV industry, unless they can come up with a more convenient method of filling the tanks. With gas/diesel, you have multiple choices in almost every small town in America.
I just don't see that happening with LP.

I do believe that wind and solar have future applications, if the prices come down, but as mentioned, it's not going to run your RV. Maybe a few panels or a small windmill to operate the television or inverter... but not much else.
I see it at your stick-built, but not the RV.
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ๐Ÿ™‚
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.๐Ÿ˜ž
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is pretty cloudy but since CNG has been around for many years and has never become a serious fuel source, I'd guess it likely will not in the future. MIGHT be a more serious fuel source for boats since CNG is lighter than air which prevents it from accumulating in the bilges and becoming an explosion hazard as LPG does.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Wind turbine on the roof is going to present a problem with tunnels and overpasses, plus you will have to park at the top of a hill to build up enough speed to get the wind turbine cranked up. :B
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
CNG requires very expensive (initial cost and ongoing maintenance) compressors at service stations. These costs are not excessive for city locations but would be an a heavy burden for low density highway locations. IMO.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. Solar and wind will be future.