cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long can one store a gas engined motorhome?

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
with covid we have been nowhere for 2 years.
the MH is in a shed so it is dry.
batteries are connected to a ctek charger and are not connected to the MH.
will the engine etc be okay?
we put in the drying pots over the rainy winter,
when we do take it out, is there anything prudent to do first?
on vancouver island BC
thanks all
2006 Itasca sunova 29r
22 REPLIES 22

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
because of the help from this forum we put stablizer in the tank before we parked it. drained the genny carb.
Thanks everyone
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Drive moderately and use up the gas on the way to the destination. No issues.

Checking the tires and other equipment should be the routine for every trip.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some years ago I parked in a campground (2014) with the aid of a tow truck Blown engine. took me 3 years or so before I towed it out and dropped..(well lifted) a new 8.1 into it (The old engine did not die it was murdered.. Long story insurance paid).

Across from me was another motor home. also an 8.1L Vortec that had been sitting there for years before I blew my ending. The owner was in hospice and not long for this world and his family finally authorized moving it to storage.. The batteries.. Toast.

The park owner got me a new engine battery and I put it in for him (He's not good at that kind of thing. I'm an old farm boy and you learn basics early on a farm) and with the help of his crew and shore power we got the slides pulled in (Two of us helped push) and jacks up (Had to assist one of 'em) and finally turned the key.. now this thing had very old gas. at least 5 years.. Fired up like it was brand new on the showroom floor.. Drove fine. I put it in the storage area and a few weeks later the family came and drove it away ha ha to wherever it went (i did not know)

I do believe this is not typical

I got enough generator time while there (In part thanks to a nearby himicane, er Hurricane Matthew) to keep my fuel fresh plus I SeaFoamed it.

Oh yes and then we had the Bang NO POWER night (The Bang was a car that went straight down the road... unfortunately the road did not go straight so it went THROUGH the power pole) (No serious injury save to some electroncs)

And a few other failures. Including two that took out half the park.. My half.. of course.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
2 year old gas, if mine I,d get it out of the system. from the tank to the carb. I work on at least 10 gen sets a year full of garbage fuel .sure you could chance it if wrong your repair bill will be in the thousands.and tire rot, tires start rotting the day there made.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you put fuel stabilizer in it the fuel should be OK. If not take it and go fill it up. Check it over real good for rodent damage first.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Examine the tires carefully including manufacture dates. Inflate to recommended pressure.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check all over, including underneath, to look for rodent damage. They have a nasty habit of eating electrical wires. Check for an exhaust problems with critters that may have taken up residence in the exhaust system. Add as much fresh fuel as you can before trying to start the engine and then go for it. The engine will either run or not. Naturally you want to check the tires for air pressure and rot. Hope for the best and if everything is OK, enjoy your next trip.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Batteries may not be good.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman