cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello Tocmom,Xcursion,Odd Couple,RoadRanger Al
and WannaWinnie!

Gee I hope I didn't miss anyone, been working a bunch
here lately. Thanks Munkalido for diving in to help!
I had to check a couple of salvage yards for my sender,
mine was the same as the B series vans, so it wasn't a
hard search. That 4 core might be a bit harder to locate
though. Especially a good used one. Any ideas guys?

I have a site in the forming stage. Email me for the
website address, it is exclusively "oldie". This thread
has been here since 08/15/2004, and has gone from my initial
"Hello, is anybody out there" to eleven pages and at last
count, 104 posts. My site is dedicated exclusively to serving the interests of those like us, no matter what our reasons. Whether
it's because we can say "it's paid for" or we are starting out
in RVing and considering something "entry level", we all have a common thread- our vehicles. And our experiences.

If we put our heads together this can be great- for everyone!

Hope to hear from you all soon,

Mark a.k.a. whiteknight001

WannaWinnie
Explorer
Explorer
Hi to all of you. I own a 1972 Winnebago Brave on a Dodge M-300 Chassis. I also belong to the Classic Winnebago Motorhome forum (do a google search or I will post a link if needed, believe its www.classicwinnebagomotorhomes.com). The first generation Winnebago's largely used Dodge M-300, 375 and 400 series chassis, so we all have the same mechanical issues etc. The folks on the Winnebgo site have posted a number of topics under the Message Board link which you might find useful.

Note I've considered purchasing a vintage Dodge Champion or Concord rig..but didn't think there was any support out there. ๐Ÿ™‚

Fuel gage sending unit: I think JC Whitney sells a universal unit for $13....a couple of people have used them with success on the Winnie applications.

R/John

RoadRanger_Al
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to Whiteknight and gang!
This is a great forum!
We love our 22' Class C 1978 RoadRanger mfg. by Kit, would much rather have this compared to a new one. It's on a Dodge MB400 chassis, 440 motor and has purred on our two trips to Yosemite/Death Valley and Yellowstone. I keep it in Utah at my brothers place. Have done quite a bit work to make sure all is well... helps that he is an auto mechanic!
Does anyone know of a source for heavy duty radiators? I've searched online and with a parts store with no luck. Radiator differs from a standard Dodge van, both hoses attach on the passengers side. Original (2-row light duty) part number is 4039 032. Motorhome has aftermarket dashboard air conditioning and needs a 4 row core. No luck finding a proper upper hose either.

Thanks,

Alex

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Odd_Couple. My 1976 C-class 23' Beaver also had a partially inoperable gas gauge when I purchased it. It read full to half then dropped to empty... not too comforting when getting, as you said, 7-8 mph!

I usually do most of the work my self but this job I gave to the mechanic (didn't have the guts to drop the tank with all the gas in it). He said the sending unit is a wire wrapped rod with a float. The wire had broke half way and for this my gauge only worked full to half. I'm sure yours can be repaired. If you have a generator, make sure they run the three lines coming off the tank properly (1 to the engine, 1 to the gen. 1 as breather) as they ran the breather to my generator (thus no fule to gen.) causing me another trip to the mechanic!!

Kind regards,
Mukalido

Odd_Couple
Explorer
Explorer
It seems I should have responded directly to you whiteknight001. My Spam Can is a 1972 "Melmar" class C on a Dodge B300. Have put way too much money and elbow grease in it but have gotten more out of it. Now that it's an "antique" it will get more respect from now on. Our major problems right now are a gas leak and a fuel gauge that doesn't work. We were told that the gas tank sending unit was no longer available. Any ideas? If anyone knows how to get more than 7-8 miles per gallon out of this engine I would love to know it too. With gas prices as they are, we aren't going very far.
Richard and Sandra

Odd_Couple
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. I stubbed my toe on Google and stumbed into this forum. We have a 1972 Class C, "Melmar" 19 feet on a Dodge B300. We bought it about 10 years ago from a family that had used it for family camping. The interior was in great need of refurbishing. We reupholstered all the cushions and changed to carpet from the '70's colors and fabrics. We have since painted the dark cabinets and changed the handles, replaced carpet with linoleum squares, replaced the stove and refrigerator and converted the over the cab bed to a great storage area since we're too old to climb up there to sleep. We recently registered the RV in Mississippi and the clerk suggested "Antique" plates. Now we all match...Richard and I and our RV. We just need to add an S to that plate!
Richard and Sandra

xcursion
Explorer
Explorer
Count me in. It's not a classic yet, but it is a Dodge. I have a new Class C 2005 Xplorer Xcursion 22.5 foot. Dodge 3500, Cummins, 4x4
2005 Xplorer Xcursion 22.5 ft Class C
Cummins diesel
4x4

tocmom
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

I noticied the photo of the Dodge that tkahike has and thought "WOW! That Dodge nose is identical to ours!" We have a 23' Class C Fireball on the Dodge Sportsman. We recently had a complete engine rebuild and are very happy with it.

Has anyone had to replace the furnace? Ours is now DOA and the shop redommended that we not even try to light it, it is a fire hazard. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Glad to have found you folks!

Janet Toc Mom
Janet & John and Toc The Orange Cat)
Toc's Mom
Class C 1976 22' Dodge w/Fireball Coach

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Mrducks, Lenrough and Broadview50

Great to hear from more folks. Will be PMing you guys soon
about another website for older RV's and the folks that love
'em and use 'em. Stick around. The fun is just beginning.

the loose nut behind the Koby's steering wheel,

Markola aka Whiteknight

broadview50
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone, We got one of those dinousaurs. 1978 Shasta on a Dodge chassis. WE LOVE IT. We need some help and actually found this site looking for it! We have a coleman furnance that we need lighting instructions for. It is a presidential series. If anyone could help with a website or dealer where we could find this, we sure would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

lenrough
Explorer
Explorer
Whoo hoo! Others who know the thrills and agonies of owning a "classic" MH.

1981 Executive Industries Pronto 25' Class A, M400 chassis, 440-3 powered. Since purchasing last February have replaced the fridge (ouch), alternator, house batteries, radiator hoses, water pump, fuel lines (dry rotted and leaking), LP regulator, TV antenna control rod, and control valve for HW heater (fire in the access panel). We've had some engine temperature issues that new radiator caps, thermostat, and a good flush seems to have cured. Needs a new power steering pump. USES a little oil, but doesn't seem to be burning any.

On the up side we've put 13,000+ miles on it at somewhere around 7.5 to 8.5 MPG (Edelbrock carb installed by previous owner). That depends mostly on loaded/unloaded and 55-60 vs 65-70. But hey, when we're in the RV and it's fully loaded, there's really no rush to get anywhere right? An installed electric Holley fuel pump seems to preclude the vapor lock issues I was warned about when driving in and around the Southwest (NM, AZ, NV, and CO).

We keep talking about getting a toy hauler for the motorcycles but I just can't stomach "payments" for 20 years. She's taken us to both coasts from New Mexico and we're gearing up for a trip to Daytona Beach next year for the '05 Bike Week. I'm totally confident in her ability to haul two Harleys "there and back again".

A final thought... At the same time we bought our "classic", our friends bought a brand new Class C Ford powered something or another. It's never parked at home... it's off getting the floor fixed or the leaking gas tank fixed or the improperly installed sinks remounted. They got all that for $50,000.

Long live recycled RVs!!!
It's paid for!

Mrducks
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy all,

I recently bought a 1976 Dodge Explorer, 21', 360, B300. Seems I got lucky on the appliances, the guy said he didn't know if they worked so I assumed the worst. To my surprise I was able to get everything working, water heater, roof air and heat, furnace with wall thermostat, Fridge - gas and elec, water pump, range, all lights, etc. The toilet valve leaks while filling, at $35. (lot of money for a plastic valve) I may replace the whole unit. So far it looks like he was one of those rare people - an honest man. It sat for 2 years without use and smokes unburned gas. I haven't changed the plugs and wires yet, am hoping that and timing does the trick. Any other suggestions? No generator, (missing) so I'll be looking for an inverter for now. The interior is in amazing shape, all cabinets and counter tops are perfect. They took out the orange shag and put in blue Berber, UGH. All in all it is a well planed layout with plenty of room for a guy and his dog. Anyway, I'm sure you all know where I coming from, I'm excited, and pleased to find this site. Whiteknight, I see your in OK, are you far from Tulsa, I'm behind the mall at 41st and Yale?

-Dave
Harry, Fido and MrDucks
Harry - My 20lb Pom and the best darn dog in the world
Fido - My cosmetically challenged 1976 Dodge Explorer, 21 ft. class C
Mrducks - That's me...Dave

" If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

DUD
Explorer
Explorer
Etowah is about 50 miles from Memphis, mostly rural delta flat land. Bill

Pollyfire
Explorer
Explorer
Hello grousehunter 61, Yes we are still here. Ive been under the weather.I will be writing you back soon. Thanks Pollyfire

Koldei
Explorer
Explorer
so...

I'm looking into getting a grill/brush guard.

I'm under the assumption that my front bumper/frame is the same as any circa 1972 1 ton mopar.. any ideas where i might look?

(when did the styles change, btw ??)
[on edit looks like 68-80 1 tons were the same]

thanks
Robert
1972 Rectrans Discoverer25R
Dodge M300 Chassis w/413