cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
I know what you speak of. While the lid was off I dropped in a sleeper love seat. That's better by degrees. We've added the air mattress to deal with the dreaded sleeper sofa bar in the back syndrome. We even have room for the Boxer to join us. It's all rather womb like.:B
Regarding your LOT in Life: Build something on it ... or park your Dodge on it.;)
Bill & Laurie
1976 Dodge Sportsman Midas Mini 226

mnoeltne
Explorer
Explorer
new v'er wrote:
My '76 Midas needed the work done as well. We did not have difficulty in getting parts. Don't skimp on the steering. Ours is nice and tight and we appreciate it each time the wind blows on the freeway or when a Semi passes. Air bags on the rear are the next add to the rig.

Welcome to the Forum.:C

Thanks! I plan on replacing every steering component that needs it, as I like going the direction I point the wheel. I drove this one home, about 300 miles. It did OK, and wasn't much worse than some of the old farm trucks I've driven, but I know tight steering will make it safer and more comfortable to drive.

Anything beyond needed essentials will have to wait. I suspect that we won't keep it real long if we like RVing. The sleeping positions in this model leave a lot to be desired. My DW has already picked out a couple of possible replacements. And I learned long ago that what DW wants, DW gets! It makes life so much more pleasant! ๐Ÿ™‚

Mark & Joyce
along with Chico & Cricket the Chihuahuas
Mark & Joyce Noeltner
2005 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
mnoeltne wrote:
I know it's going to need some new steering parts to pass the state safety inspection. Are parts like that still pretty readily available from NAPA or other auto parts stores?

My '76 Midas needed the work done as well. We did not have difficulty in getting parts. Don't skimp on the steering. Ours is nice and tight and we appreciate it each time the wind blows on the freeway or when a Semi passes. Air bags on the rear are the next add to the rig.

Welcome to the Forum.:C
Regarding your LOT in Life: Build something on it ... or park your Dodge on it.;)
Bill & Laurie

mnoeltne
Explorer
Explorer
We've got a 1976 Lindy by Skyline on a Dodge Sportsman chassis. 360 V8. My parents gave it to us after purchasing a much newer class A motorhome 1-1/2 yrs ago. They gave it to us at a time when money was a bit tight, so we haven't yet licensed it and taken it out. We're working on it now to get it ready for inspections, and hope to take it out by May.

I know it's going to need some new steering parts to pass the state safety inspection. Are parts like that still pretty readily available from NAPA or other auto parts stores?

Mark & Joyce Noeltner
and our Chihuahuas Chico and Cricket
Mark & Joyce Noeltner
2005 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
Cajundog, it sounds like you've paid your dues. As for the roofing material I invested in TPO roofing material. It is the same material used in boat flooring. It has more stiffness and higher tear resistance than a rubber membrane. It went on easy.
Bill & Laurie

tulsajohn1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small Tioga 2 1977. I have been working on it.It camps well and I am going to live in it for 3 months this summer. Just me and Chica my Chihuahua.

slowlybutsurely
Explorer
Explorer
Yep,A Dodger here myself.Gotta 77' Midas motorhome on a dodge b300 chassis with the blazin fast 360 w/ 62,000 miles.You name it I have just about replaced it, rebuilt it, or fixed it on this rig.Can't wait to take it out for the first time this spring.Hey anyone know where to get a deal on a new DOT approved, horizontally mounted propane tank?????
Relax...Were almost there!

cajundog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the warning on Roof leaks, I have already gone in and replaced all the damaged supports and wood from the front bed area. That was quite involved. The leak at this time is very minimal and only obvious during one of our famous Florida downpours. I will get this taken care of. Probably a coat of white coat will seal it up good. One more cabinet to replace and all the wood will be new.

truckerger
Explorer
Explorer
Dannbo wrote:
Sounds to me a bit more investigation is needed. A three number vin would not allow for much information to be delivered to the customer. Post a pick of your info plate and see if anyone can help you out. Or just type out exactly what it says.

I'm not worried about the VIN being only three digits. It was first registered in CA. with this VIN # and still is. I was only letting you all know that there are some weird numbers out there.

Dannbo
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me a bit more investigation is needed. A three number vin would not allow for much information to be delivered to the customer. Post a pick of your info plate and see if anyone can help you out. Or just type out exactly what it says.

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
truckerger wrote:
Dannbo wrote:
I think eleven number vins are pre 1973. My 1973 manual for Dodge motorhome chassis refers to a thirteen number vin. Who knows?? I have spent many hours on the search for things. Try to google VIN search and go from there narrowing down as you go.

Quite often I'm told that the chassis were purchased from the manufactures one or two years ahead of the actual build. You could check with some of the experts on this site, but I think vin numbers changed from whatever??? to thirteen numbers around this time. Good luck in your search.

I don't know much about VIN numbers and the dates making a difference in the length of them, but mine is 1973 Monaco and it has a three digit VIN.

Mine is a 1970 Explorer on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis and the serial number (VIN) is ten digits.

Serial numbers (or VIN) changed several times, ending with a federally mandated format sometime in the 70's.

Encoded is the VIN is the place of manufacture, date, original engine size, etc.; usually the last five or six digits are an actual serial number and the preceding is encoded information.

The serial number is what actually told me I had a "split year" motorhome, in which the vehicle model year differs from the chassis manufacture date. (Mopar changed format between 1969 and 1970.)

In short, the serial number is assigned by the chassis manufacturer but the model year for registration purposes is assigned by the final manufacturer.

(In the older Mopars, part numbers also contained an encoded date that indicates when that particular part was put into service ... although a given part might be used for many years, it does indicate some of the history.)

Griff
Griff's Custom Classic Motorhome Projects (www.riffgan.com/motorhome/)
A forum containing a section just for Dodge motorhomes (www.wildmopartruckcountry.com)
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

truckerger
Explorer
Explorer
Dannbo wrote:
I think eleven number vins are pre 1973. My 1973 manual for Dodge motorhome chassis refers to a thirteen number vin. Who knows?? I have spent many hours on the search for things. Try to google VIN search and go from there narrowing down as you go.

Quite often I'm told that the chassis were purchased from the manufactures one or two years ahead of the actual build. You could check with some of the experts on this site, but I think vin numbers changed from whatever??? to thirteen numbers around this time. Good luck in your search.

I don't know much about VIN numbers and the dates making a difference in the length of them, but mine is 1973 Monaco and it has a three digit VIN.

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
My next next move is the air suspension add on. This is the class c with duals configuration. Any one with previous experience on this install? It looks straight forward.

Thanks
Bill
Bill & Laurie

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome Cajundog.

I too found the joy in working on my rig. You can see the levels of repair I've undertaken. Beware of the leaky roof. My caution is one of experience. Make an in depth assessment of the water damage, which needs to include any wooden structure below the leak (as water runs down hill). My small leaks resulted in significant wood replacement in the floors due to carpenter ants' desire for wet wood, the complete R&R of the roof/ceiling structure as well as the frame work in the front corners and the right rear. The good thing about the roof off condition allowed me to drop in a new sleeper loveseat to replace the jackknife sofa.

I've said this so you don't invest in expensive items too early.

I wish you well. We enjoy our rig and know that it is very sound now.

Bill
Bill & Laurie

cajundog
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 76 Delta, not sure of the length,maybe 20 or 22. Big motor 440. New air and I just got the fridge working, old fridge didn't have 12 volts going to it. Are others like that? My understanding is that you have to have 12 volts are they won't cool. My inverter doesn't work so I will be fixing that next. STill have a slight leak on the roof so that needs to be looked at. I am installing new wood floors and carpeting and a new stereo. My only complaint is it didn't come with an engine run A/C. Just the AC powered one. And no generator! I guess I'll have to let one ride piggyback. SO far it's been fun to work on. We'll be camping soon!