cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
Welcome!

To start with, F40 = MB400

as Ken said, post the first 8 digits and we'll tell you more.

Yep, Motor and other information with the VIN.
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome!

To start with, F40 = MB400

as Ken said, post the first 8 digits and we'll tell you more.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
mp69cote wrote:
I just got a 24' 1978 dodge tioga...
... Also compounding the problem is that the data plate says dodge and the model is a F40. does this make any sense? Its the original data plate from the inside of the truck door. Thanks for any help.

Post the first 8 digits of the 13 number VIN on the data plate where you found the F40 model number. This will help us get you some more information on the specific chassis/engine.

For the house portion you can e-mail Fleetwood customer service with the complete RV number located on a white data sticker on the inside of the drivers door on the fender. The number should be something similar to: 52K47168S8326. The number may be identified as "VEH IDENT NO:"" (not VIN). Fleetwood should be able to get you the wiring diagrams and specific installed options for the house using that number.

USAF Retired

mp69cote
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a 24' 1978 dodge tioga and I am trying to find information about this unit to include wiring info. I am having problems with the charging system so i pulled the alternator and had it tested, came back as good 3 times. One of the smaller wires on the back (green) isnt even hooked up to anything, so that might be the problem, I just dont know where it should go. I have been looking online trying to find some answers and lucked upon this great website. Also compounding the problem is that the data plate says dodge and the model is a F40. does this make any sense? Its the original data plate from the inside of the truck door. Thanks for any help.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome, FrugalFreak!

RV Doctor George - but call; they don't seem to respond to emails.

Alretta Truck Parts for Dodge brake stuff - they do respond to emails.

Sands RV - again, call.

FrugalFreak
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All "Vintage Class C Dodgers". I just aquired a 79 22' Brougham on a 78 Dodge Sportsman with a V8 318 motor. I also am having to do restoration work on mine. It has 38,234 original miles.
This is my Brougham Class C. I want to do a full restore eventually. This year it also qualifies for a vintage tag. I still have all original documentation/schematics for Dodge, Duo-therm AC, Kohler Generator, furnace, Etc that came with it. I paid $1000 for mine.
My 78 Brougham

Any Advice on used/surplus parts??

15' ??Unknown?? Travel Trailer

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like your doin' really good on this project. nice job, keep posting pic's and updates...Jerry
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Lookin' REAL good :C

We have to rebuild the 727 in ours...but have another project I must finish first (and it's almost done!). Our next trip is scheduled for Labor Day and I can't wait ๐Ÿ˜‰

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
We're slaking folks... page 5? I'll just assume everyone else is out camping, and I'm the only one still working on the old girl.

Weekend update...

We were able to re-insulate everything.
My buddy completely re-wired the taillights, lic plate, and trailer, as well as we took the 110 out of the bathroom ceiling fan and ran wires for 12v. (makes more sense to me as we boondock far more than hookup somewhere)
We started re-attaching the siding and accessories.
And... we installed almost all the paneling.
Over the week, for fun... I tried to restore the Holiday Ramblette badge.

That light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter! Here the weekends updated pics. Lots of 'em.

Man we can make a mess.

Goatmaiden
Explorer
Explorer
We just went from Oregon to Wisconsin with a rebuilt 440-3 (our MH is 23 foot, GVWR 10,500 and we weighed in at about 9,400 -- which seemed heavy to me since we were carrying next to nothing). Av. 9 MPG but we went 60 mph most of the way. I think Ol' Bertha is happier going 45. Spent $1200 on gas. What fun!

Here are some pics of the odyssey - http://bellethecat.blogspot.com/2008/07/road-pictures.html

1978 23' C class KIT ROADRANGER
Dodge 440

Goatmaiden
Explorer
Explorer
dup
1978 23' C class KIT ROADRANGER
Dodge 440

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth wrote:
Expect around 8 mpg, Hope for 11 mpg....

...Remember these we built when the speed limit was 55, and they're geared/designed to run best there.

Mine is on the MB400 1 ton chassis with the 440 motor GVWR is 10,500 and I get 7+ reliably to/from 2,500 to 7,000 feet Tucson to just NW of Show Low in the White Mountains (about 211 miles one way) driving no faster than 60.

USAF Retired

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Expect around 8 mpg, Hope for 11 mpg.

There's a number of things that can come into play... First...Make SURE the carb is tuned and set properly; No matter what you do, it's only going to accelerate so fast. Stomping the pedal down any further will do nothing but waste fuel. Don't worry about going 70-75mph on the freeways. You're driving a house. 60-65mph is really more than plenty, and will save a lot. Coast down the hills, and don't put your foot to floor going up them. If you lose speed on your way up, who cares, you'll gain it on the way down. You're on vacation the moment you get behind the wheel. Drive like you're on vacation time... which is when-ever we get there... we're there. lol.

Remember these we built when the speed limit was 55, and they're geared/designed to run best there.

Vernitta
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question that I think only yall could help me with. My husband and I are looking into buying a 1978 18 ft Dodge Midas with a 440. Anyone have any ideas on the gas mileage on these? They guy we are buying it from doesn't know because he lived in it for a year and only drove it once. Thank you!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, yeah! That's more like it ๐Ÿ˜‰