cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth wrote:
We're slacking folks... page 5? I'll just assume everyone else is out camping, and I'm the only one still working on the old girl.

Man we can make a mess.

Actually, no, eyeteeth, I am now gainfully employed and it sucks, totally cuts into my Travco-Time. But your rig is looking REAL good, your work shows care and craftsmanship.

The mess? Indeed.
Worst is when the skied threaten and I gotta get all that stuff back into the Travco before it pours....

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Jer&Ger wrote:
Maybe someone here can help me with my VIN number. It's F44CF6V109146. Model: F40 (MB400), T.O.N. (?) NJ209007, GVW 10500. This is different from my registration VIN # for some reason. When I first moved here to Idaho, I had to have a police officer verify my VIN and he said that RV's sometimes had weird numbers, is that true? Thanks for any help....Jerry

The "F44CF..." number is the actual VIN for the Dodge cutaway chassis that was supplied to the motorhome manufacturer. The "other number" is usually the motorhome identification number that the manufacturer assigned to the coach. Some states use the chassis VIN and some states use the motorhome manufacturers number. I have no idea which states use what, except that Arizona uses the chassis VIN.

For parts information you need both...

Use the VIN for the engine, drive train, and forward chassis parts.

Use the motorhome identification number when you need information/parts for the house.

Ken
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe someone here can help me with my VIN number. It's F44CF6V109146. Model: F40 (MB400), T.O.N. (?) NJ209007, GVW 10500. This is different from my registration VIN # for some reason. When I first moved here to Idaho, I had to have a police officer verify my VIN and he said that RV's sometimes had weird numbers, is that true? Thanks for any help....Jerry
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Oops - the > symbol disappeared when I cut 'n pasted...
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

RobinHoodRV
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
F44CD7V0

F4=MB400
4=Hi Line Wagon or MB4 Hi Line
C=GVW 10001 lbs
D=440-1
7=1977
V=Warren assembly plant
0=digit #1 of the assembly number

Dodge makes the chassis and has to give it an identity, hence the VIN number. Fleetwood has to give it an identity and uses a numbering system all their own, hence the G07 number.

Just a small clarification of the info.
The C designation is for a GVW >10,000 lbs, not just 10,001 lbs.
I believe most in this rating had a GVW rating of 10,500 lbs with a 3,800 lb front axle rating and a 7,200 lb rear axle rating.
-jc

78 Robinhood 23' Class C
97 Geo Tracker Convertible 4x4
87 Jeep Comanche Chief 4x4

mp69cote
Explorer
Explorer
thanks leeann, you are great. your info will help me along a little bit further. now i just need to look into finding a wiring diagram for the alternator. this has been a huge help.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Out of curiosity... how come "thisoldrv.com" never seems to have taken off? There seems to be enough of them out there.

pbe10
Explorer
Explorer
1972 Dodge Superior; 413 engine. Awesome vehicle.
Just got it out of 7 months storage, started right up and drove it home.
Only problem was cracked water valve, so rebuilt all the water lines with PEX.
All the appliances are original, work and run great. Even the two A/Cs run great.
Last problem before camping is to repair the dash radio.
Love this old Rv even with the hundreds of hours spent repairing it.
Several years ago I repainted the unit, doing the roof with ceramic paint. Has held up really nice.
Anyone need help with repairs of an M400 chassis PM me.

FrugalFreak
Explorer
Explorer
I also have F44CD7VO Id
15' ??Unknown?? Travel Trailer

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Kendas wrote:
Damned Leeann, you beat me to it. :W

There is some doubt about the engine... I've been told that Dodge never put the -1 HP engine in the RV chassis, but every thing I've found so far (without checking the lower right block) says they did.

The only sure way is to look at the plate on the front right side of the block just below where the heads sit. This is a PIA if the engine is in the chassis.

Ken

Ya gotta be quick around here, Ken :B

Yep, I heard that they never put the -1 in the Class As, but that they did put the -1 in the Class C chassis, just like in the regular vans and pickups. But who knows?

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
mp69cote wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Well the first 8 numbers on the data plate are F44CD7V0. The white sticker number was a little different though, it is G072048S6429. I will contact fleetwood and see what i can get from them. Thanks for the help.
The number is different only because I used the number off of mine. I got copies of all the house wiring diagrams direct from Fleetwood after I e-mailed them the request.

Ken

USAF Retired

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
F44CD7V0

F4=MB400
C=GVW 10001 lbs
D=440-1
7=1977
V=Warren assembly plant

Dodge makes the chassis and has to give it an identity, hence the VIN number. Fleetwood has to give it an identity and uses a numbering system all their own, hence the G07 number.
Damned Leeann, you beat me to it. :W

There is some doubt about the engine... I've been told that Dodge never put the -1 HP engine in the RV chassis, but every thing I've found so far (without checking the lower right block) says they did.

The only sure way is to look at the plate on the front right side of the block just below where the heads sit. This is a PIA if the engine is in the chassis.

Ken

USAF Retired

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
FrugalFreak,
Cool Brougham, I have a 74 that I picked up last year. Mine didn't have any manuels with it so you are lucky. Have fun with you project.... A.
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
F44CD7V0

F4=MB400
C=GVW 10001 lbs
D=440-1
7=1977
V=Warren assembly plant

mp69cote
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick reply. Well the first 8 numbers on the data plate are F44CD7V0. The white sticker number was a little different though, it is G072048S6429. I will contact fleetwood and see what i can get from them. Thanks for the help.