cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

RFV
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All!

Looking at replacing tires on my 1973 Dodge Sportsman B300 from 16.5 inch rims to 16 inch rims. Any suggestions on where to purchase dulley rims for this from?

Thanks!

Rudy

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
JDMopar wrote:
The easiest way to check the timing chain is to pull the fuel pump off of it. It's on the passenger side of the timing cover, right under the alternator. You can stick your finger in the hole, and see how slack the chain is. It will probably scare you when you find out how sloppy it is....lol. Your water pump may be leaking out the weep hole in the bottom of the shaft housing. If you change it yourself, be careful not to break the bolts that are to the far left and right of the water pump. They go all the way thru the timing cover, and into water jackets in the block. They are bad to rust up and break when you attempt to remove them. Work them back and forth as you remove them, and have patience. Buy an Edelbrock double row timing chain from Summit or Jegs to replace the crappy plastic covered gears on the factory chain. You won't hear a difference in noise. Be sure to drain the oil, and make a wire hook to reach up thru the drain hole in the oil pan, and dig all the remnants of the plastic gear out before refilling it with oil. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Spot on.
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

JDMopar
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest way to check the timing chain is to pull the fuel pump off of it. It's on the passenger side of the timing cover, right under the alternator. You can stick your finger in the hole, and see how slack the chain is. It will probably scare you when you find out how sloppy it is....lol. Your water pump may be leaking out the weep hole in the bottom of the shaft housing. If you change it yourself, be careful not to break the bolts that are to the far left and right of the water pump. They go all the way thru the timing cover, and into water jackets in the block. They are bad to rust up and break when you attempt to remove them. Work them back and forth as you remove them, and have patience. Buy an Edelbrock double row timing chain from Summit or Jegs to replace the crappy plastic covered gears on the factory chain. You won't hear a difference in noise. Be sure to drain the oil, and make a wire hook to reach up thru the drain hole in the oil pan, and dig all the remnants of the plastic gear out before refilling it with oil. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome!
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Kmarty
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent idea, PoorGary.Been lurking here for a few days,seems like a friendly bunch of folks. Very surprised to find this group of Dodge RVers, and worked at Chrysler auto plant #1 in 1972. My Dad and brothers worked at truck plant #2, we've been a Mopar family since 1963. Nice to meet you all!

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
rehoppe wrote:

Also, if you are at that kind of mileage, put a timing light on it and check the timing chain. My 76 had plastic over metal gears, the nylon came off the metal. Ran a lot better after I put a new timing set in it.

Yeah, I didn't like that they used nylon covered gears, but it was supposed to make the timing gear quieter. What I used to do was go to a performance shop (Summit will sell online) and buy an all steel double roller timing chain set to replace the nylon covered one. It will last almost forever, so you won't have to worry about it again for a very long time. ๐Ÿ™‚
rehoppe wrote:

Check the chain BEfore you do the pump!!!!! since you're going to be in there. lol

Don't ask me why I remembered to tell you this.....

Um, I won't ask, but I can surely guess. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
Mykedynamics wrote:
Have any of you 360 owners developed a coolant leak of your water pump or timing cover? I have been in some serious temp fluctuation and have started to drip a little in morning when cold..any thoughts...should address immediately? Not losing much coolant but don't want something to explode while driving

I lost a water pump in my 360 at about 70k miles,,,, IIRC Been a while.

Also, if you are at that kind of mileage, put a timing light on it and check the timing chain. My 76 had plastic over metal gears, the nylon came off the metal. Ran a lot better after I put a new timing set in it.

Make sure you put a new thermostat in,,, if you have to do the water pump.

Check the chain BEfore you do the pump!!!!! since you're going to be in there. lol

Don't ask me why I remembered to tell you this.....
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

Mykedynamics
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of you 360 owners developed a coolant leak of your water pump or timing cover? I have been in some serious temp fluctuation and have started to drip a little in morning when cold..any thoughts...should address immediately? Not losing much coolant but don't want something to explode while driving

Wolf_n_Kat
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still here, it's just getting to that "freeze your catuffles off" time of year and I've been busy getting ready for winter. Not much chance of doing any work on the RV, it was apparently >20 degrees here this morning!!

Mykedynamics
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ballen and Leeann for the good wishes and hellos! I'm sure we'll all chat soon again ๐Ÿ™‚

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
The last post was less than a month before yours, so I'd say yes. This isn't generally the time most people are camping, so it does slow down in winter.

Welcome.

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure the rest of the people will be along shortly, as this seems to be a popular thread.
I looked at your blog just to get a peek at your motorhome. LOOKING GOOD.
PS, Good Luck to you on the road. ๐Ÿ™‚
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

Mykedynamics
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Vintage Dodge group! Anyone still posting in here! Legendary White Knight? I've got a 1975 Dodge Sportsman Lazy Daze and guess what, she's paid for... All $150! I've got a 360 under the hood... Purrs like a kitten, Onan Genny and 160watts of GoPower Solar! Currently traversing this great country on a solo music tour! If you want to see pics or vids check www.easyfriendforever.com. Amazing thread.. Let's keep it goin!

Eric easyfriend Brown

Wolf_n_Kat
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thanks Leeann! Unfortunately, none of these match our floorplan. I'll see if I can get a decent one drawn up and scanned. The Jamaican is close (bumper to bumper, it's 19'), but our door is right behind the passenger seat and it looks like the Jamaican has a rear door.

Also, my wife and I managed to get the foam mattress out of the overhead, and somebody had put down those interlocking floor tiles normally used for places where people do a lot of standing. "Extra padding" is always a Good Thing, but once I got those up and we cleaned out the overhead, we discovered that I've got a LOT of work to do. I don't know if it's the add-on spot-lights, the corners, or the windows, but there's been plenty of water getting in. So much so that in the passenger-side front corner I can tap on the skin of the RV.

Anybody here ever rebuild the interior of a Class C?

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, engine update: yep, you're right!! Distributor on the rear of the engine, it's a 360.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Found my 2 quickie sources....