cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to Drive Uphill and downhill

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Ford E350 2015 model - I am just wondering if you have to shift to lower gear manually or expect the transmission to do it for you automatically?
15 REPLIES 15

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I learned my hill lesson on The Big Hill on the way to Bella Coola, BC. I was driving a 3/4 ton GM van pulling a tent trailer down this enormous hill. I thought I knew what I was doing, downshifting to second gear and using the brakes briefly on each switchback. Luckily it was a hot day and my daughter had her window open. She smelled something "burning". I stopped and found the wheels were very hot. After a few minutes to cool down we proceeded in first gear. We stopped at the half way rest stop where we found a melted car with a sign warning what happens when brakes get too hot. We did the rest of the hill in low gear with very little use of the brakes. There was a delightful campsite at the bottom with several cold mountain streams. Ever since I have kept the brakes cool for stopping, not slowing down (except to downshift).

Pictures of The Big Hill: http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/bella_coola_hill.html

Pictures of the other hill going up to lakes above Bella Coola.
http://explorenorth.com/wordpress/experiencing-bit-bella-coola/
DW, DD and I turned around at a spot like the last photo after encountering 8 foot high snow. We were young and very careful - unhooking the trailer, turning it around by hand, then turning the van using rocks to block the wheels when necessary. The only alternative was to attempt backing down that hill.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Phil,

Is there much extra fuel cost for running in Tow/Haul mode? (Mine is to old to have it.)

That's a good question ... and I don't have any quantitative data one way or the other.

In Tow/Haul mode - near the end of going up a hill and when getting up to speed after a stop - our Ford TorqShift transmission stays in each lower gear a bit longer before shifting into the next higher gear.

This means that the V10 will be spinning faster a bit longer ... which maybe means that a bit more fuel is consumed ... but it also could mean that, although spinning a bit faster, the load on the motor during each revolution may be a bit less while it is spinning faster so maybe more fuel is not consumed. :h

However, NOT being in Tow/Haul mode when perhaps one should be, could also mean that the transmission slippage in it's clutch is worse due to remaining in too high of a gear a bit too long. This extra clutch slippage wastes energy and increases heat in the transmission ... this waste translates into too much gas being consumed over what gas would have been used in Tow/Haul mode's less clutch slippage from remaining in lower gears longer/more.

The bottom line is ... I don't know about fuel mileage being up or down in Tow/Haul mode. What I do know is that when in Tow/Haul mode our Class C sure feels more responsive at all times and provides a more "in control" feeling all around. Of course when in Tow/Haul mode, our 5R110 five speed transmission still goes into fuel-saving overdrive when cruising - just like when not in Tow/Haul mode.

It's pretty hard to counter the argument that a motorhome, due to it's weight is at all times taxing the drive train just as much as a truck is whenever it's carrying a load or towing something - thus should be driven in Tow/Haul mode at all times. I sure wish Ford marketing/engineering would step up to the bar and flat out recommend this to all motorhome builders and their customers.

EXACTLY!!!!! Had to explain that to a neighbor of mine. MH is fully loaded 100 percent of the time drive it that way.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Surprised nobody mentioned having brake fluid flushed and changed every couple of years, it collects moisture which changes to steam in brake lines leading to "brake fade" or ineffective braking on long downgrades. Use lower gears with brakes as needed, when descending a long steep grade.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
ScottG wrote:

Gas engines use compression braking, not exhaust braking.
The difference is diesels hold the exhaust in the combustion chamber to create engine braking - hence the term exhaust brake. Gas engines do not hold the exhaust in. They simply work against the air that is drawn into the eng naturally.

True, but is about the same net affect,

Exactly!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

The difference is diesels hold the exhaust in the combustion chamber to create engine braking - hence the term exhaust brake. Gas engines do not hold the exhaust in. They simply work against the air that is drawn into the eng naturally.

True, but is about the same net affect,

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Phil,

Is there much extra fuel cost for running in Tow/Haul mode? (Mine is to old to have it.)

That's a good question ... and I don't have any quantitative data one way or the other.

In Tow/Haul mode - near the end of going up a hill and when getting up to speed after a stop - our Ford TorqShift transmission stays in each lower gear a bit longer before shifting into the next higher gear.

This means that the V10 will be spinning faster a bit longer ... which maybe means that a bit more fuel is consumed ... but it also could mean that, although spinning a bit faster, the load on the motor during each revolution may be a bit less while it is spinning faster so maybe more fuel is not consumed. :h

However, NOT being in Tow/Haul mode when perhaps one should be, could also mean that the transmission slippage in it's clutch is worse due to remaining in too high of a gear a bit too long. This extra clutch slippage wastes energy and increases heat in the transmission ... this waste translates into too much gas being consumed over what gas would have been used in Tow/Haul mode's less clutch slippage from remaining in lower gears longer/more.

The bottom line is ... I don't know about fuel mileage being up or down in Tow/Haul mode. What I do know is that when in Tow/Haul mode our Class C sure feels more responsive at all times and provides a more "in control" feeling all around. Of course when in Tow/Haul mode, our 5R110 five speed transmission still goes into fuel-saving overdrive when cruising - just like when not in Tow/Haul mode.

It's pretty hard to counter the argument that a motorhome, due to it's weight is at all times taxing the drive train just as much as a truck is whenever it's carrying a load or towing something - thus should be driven in Tow/Haul mode at all times. I sure wish Ford marketing/engineering would step up to the bar and flat out recommend this to all motorhome builders and their customers.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
janechucknicodemus wrote:
When I was a on the road driver, we had a saying,, never go down a hill any faster than you went up ..

That being said,, I have seen some idiots go up hill trying to and sometimes achieving burning up the engine./transmission. Way too fast and or going up the hill only to the burn out the brakes on the way down .. :S

5% grades 45 miles per, any more less speed. P And S Plain and simple.

I think that's good advice.
Way too many think you just keep it floorboarded up hills and many vehicles are basically idiot proof in that regard.

I'm able to climb hills at highway speeds comfortably but I slow to much lower speeds to come back down.

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
When I was a on the road driver, we had a saying,, never go down a hill any faster than you went up ..

That being said,, I have seen some idiots go up hill trying to and sometimes achieving burning up the engine./transmission. Way too fast and or going up the hill only to the burn out the brakes on the way down .. :S

5% grades 45 miles per, any more less speed. P And S Plain and simple.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
navegator wrote:

And your E-350 V-10 engine does not have an exhaust brake system none do, that option is not available.

All gasoline engines do exhaust braking. This is simple the "nature of thebeast". When your foot is off the the throttle, the engine get no air and this acts as a brake. Diesel engines typically do NOT have a throttle.

Downshifting an automatic transmission in a vehicle with a gasoline engine will cause the vehicle to slow down.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:

And your E-350 V-10 engine does not have an exhaust brake system none do, that option is not available.

All gasoline engines do exhaust braking. This is simple the "nature of thebeast". When your foot is off the the throttle, the engine get no air and this acts as a brake. Diesel engines typically do NOT have a throttle.

Downshifting an automatic transmission in a vehicle with a gasoline engine will cause the vehicle to slow down.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
My E150 is older, but the button on the end of the gear shift is simply labeled "Overdrive". The word "Off" is illuminated when 4th gear is inhibited.

If it is a big hill, I will hit the button while I am still at the bottom so that the engine does not have to lug down so far before the downshift.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Going up hill you do not want to try and go at 75 mph, you need to manually down shift in order to prevent the "automatic" transmission from hunting, that is going up shifting and down shifting constantly, this only heats the transmission fluid and in time a transmission failure, you want a nice steady uphill speed, every now and then the engine will seem to roar, that is only the viscous fan clutch engaging to cool the radiator, that is normal.

On the way down you also need to down shift to a steady down hill speed with the engine doing the braking, at the top of the hill and before you start down the hill set the transmission in 3rd or even 2nd manually, it is better to do it early rather than burning the brakes trying to control the speed.

Remember that speed equals heat the faster up hill the hotter the engine works, on the way down it is normally the brakes that get barbequed, it is better to go a little slower than break down.

navegator

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Phil,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
CoNi (the OP),

Your 2015 Ford E350 has a "Tow/Haul" button on the end of it's gear shift lever.

When going uphill or downhill, push in this button to put your transmission INTO Tow/Haul mode. Going uphill your transmission will then be kept in better gears for the uphill climb. Going downhill, it will drop down to a lower gear each time you tap the brake with your foot - no need to change the gears manually using the shift lever.

Just as a side comment: I drive our Class C motorhome almost all the time, now, with it's Tow/Haul mode ENGAGED. It drives a lot better overall in all conditions with Tow/Haul mode turned on.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C