cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing back up camera...

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
I want to install a wireless back-up camera on my 2013 Tioga Montara 25K. The installation seems fairly straight forward, but I thought I'd reach out to the board members for any advice from those who have installed one themselves before I put a hole in my exterior walls. Any issues w/ screwing into the exterior wall? What is the best method to ensure that water doesn't enter the wall through the screw holes? Thanks.
12 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity - named E-Pod
05 GMC 3500 SRW Crew Cab LB
10 Bass Cat Puma w/ 250 Mercury ProXS

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6
13 Pleasure-Way Lexor TS Class B
13 Tioga Montara 25K Class C
09 Lance 915 Truck Camper
16 REPLIES 16

Dastagg
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small door as shown on the rear photo for getting to water pump and seeing the fresh water tank. I fished the bottom camera wiring from the camera to that door area using a fish tape and it had some styrophome that I had to push through to get to it, but it worked. From that door area, I ran it down to underneath the Motorhome.

For the top camera, I have cabinets in the back wall on the inside, so I drilled through to inside the cabinets which was also in an area that had a molding to hide the wires inside the cabinet which I ran from top middle on the inside to more cabinets that go from the drivers side of the back to the floor area which I ran the wiring through to get to undernieth the Motorhome. Cannot see any wires just using what was available. Trying to run through the shell wall would have been difficult since that window was there in the back making it harder or would have just pushed straight downwards. Wasn't difficult, just took some looking around for best options of what is available to use. Coudn't tell where the house top outside red clearance lights wiring was wired from looking on the inside, so didn't know how to run with them, but figured they may go through studs or something and would never be able to duplicate that as they were wired during contruction. Would be nice having post wiring conduit in the walls for items as this, but probably not practical for cost and convenience. Even for the top camera, I likely had a good 10 foot of wire left to coil up and hide.

I trusted hard wire more than wireless due to distance but wireless may have worked fine but wanted to be sure it would work, so decided on wired system. Glad I chose this and the system really works well. I can see my back end from reciever hitch to a good 12 foot or more out using backup camera and much further using top camera. Will maybe get a front mount camera in future for parking aid in front, but will wait and see on that one. System will hold another camera with switch box that was included. Maybe mount somewhere else such as top also to see the top of mororhome? Who knows?

Dastagg
Explorer
Explorer
Is it just me or can the last comment not be seen? I can't see it as it is ut off the screen, on my iPad and laptop? Maybe this reply too?

Finally can see it but this site cuts off pages at times for me.

G_and_D
Explorer
Explorer
Great pics a big help for me when I install mine. When you mounted the camera did you fish the wires down through the rear wall? How did you exit to under the camper for the forward run?

Thanks for the info. Helps me think I can do it myself instead of paying to have it done.

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6

Dastagg
Explorer
Explorer
Here is switch box installed in engine compartment.

Here is back end of RV with one camera at top for rear view and lower one just below window facing more down for backing up.

Closer view of reverse camera mounted. Let wire slope downward to help let water run away from RV wall hole instead of letting water run down wire to gromnet.

Final install of monitor on dash. So far, we like it here, but can change location if ever change mind. Used supplied stick on mounting headwhich seems quite strong, but may eventually mount more permanant f felt needed. Don't expect HD quality, but very much good enough for use.

Dastagg
Explorer
Explorer
I did not need extension wire (thought I may have but didn't need it, my MH is a 32 footer and had more than enough wire. Ran from back to the front engine compartment to mount the switch box with all wires then from switch box through firewall to the monitor. Could of ran through engine cover, but put all items under hood within easy reach for future if needed. Actually, screwed switch box to the fuse panel cover. I will try to post some pics soon of everything. Just for extra ptotection also, I covered the camera cable with the split black flexable conduit also but probably wasn't needed, ran out at engine compartment on one wire but most all is covered and will add more soon as I already bought more of the plastic conduit.

Oh, I also went to back reverse light and found colored wire for reverse bulb and found other end of same color wire at transmission and tested and spliced there instead of running wire from back reverse light to the switch box but was prepared to do that if needed. Happened to find it closer however easily, so did it towards front to simplify running wires.

Grandpa_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
I would use Dicor to seal the holes if you go this route, silicone calk seems to attract dirt and you can't re-apply over it I believe?

G_and_D
Explorer
Explorer
Dasstag

When you ran it under the camper where did you bring the wire up and into the cab? Did you bring it up inside the engine compartment and through the firewall? Did you purchase the 24 ft extension wire?

Thanks
George

Dastagg
Explorer
Explorer
I used some metal drilling screws with rubber washer on mine and and no issue drilling into the fiberglass exterier. I don't remmber the brand of camera, but is on link as posted fom Amazon. Wasn't to sure about quality but it works great and cameras are not lightweight hardware. I and my wife can swear by this system and works great as a backup and rear view camera. Can add a bit of gorilla glue if not sure about screws holding as an extra safeguard, but mine seems to be doing very well. Can aim up or down more after install as needed for use. The wiring going through fiberglass comes with rubber gromnets for a tight fit and for safety sake, I dabbed a bit of Dicor caulk just as an extra touch, but it is on a vertical plane, so not likely to leak without.

Hardest part is fishing wire behind panel, but a wire fish tape did the trick, even through some styrofoam. Top camera was in the curved top section where no foam was tight and went through inner wall also and ran through top molding on the inside and out sidewall, to the floor and under carriage on both cameras. Did entire system in several hours, and was unsure about it all myself till got into doing it. Thought firstabout paying someone, but decided to just go for it and looksas good asa paid job.

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
FishB8s wrote:
Screwing into the exterior has me a little nervous.

Any tips before I screw into the exterior?

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
Dastagg - any issues mounting it? Screwing into the exterior has me a little nervous.

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6

G_and_D
Explorer
Explorer
Dastagg wrote:
I bought this as well as a second camera. Not wireless, however, I know it works since it is wired. I love it. When in reverse, it goes to the camera pointing lowand other gears, it points at the higher installed camera pointing as a rear view camera. Wife and I love it. Thinking about a third camera for front bumper for close looking at front, such as tight spaces.

Rear View Safety 7" LCD Color Backup Camera System with Audio
http://amzn.com/B002GM5GKO

I am looking for a rear view camera. What brand did you get

Dastagg
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this as well as a second camera. Not wireless, however, I know it works since it is wired. I love it. When in reverse, it goes to the camera pointing lowand other gears, it points at the higher installed camera pointing as a rear view camera. Wife and I love it. Thinking about a third camera for front bumper for close looking at front, such as tight spaces.

Rear View Safety 7" LCD Color Backup Camera System with Audio
http://amzn.com/B002GM5GKO

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
Joe - No back window. I have one on the back door of my truck camper and I like it. Not an option on the class C.

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6