Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing New Shelving

Imotay
Explorer
Explorer
Greetinggs,

I have a 2016 Coachmen Freelander 26RS. I am interested in adding some shelves into the overhead cabinets. I would like to do the wire shelves since they are adjustable. I am not sure if I should screw into the back of the cabinets. I was planning on using 3/4 inch #8 screws to put up the track. I am concerned about damaging the walls or going through to the exterior. I could also liquid nail it to the back.

Another option would be liquid nailing shelf ledges to the inside and putting a shelf in that way but then it would be fixed

Any opinions on this

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
You can get free standing shelfs.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I added shelves to most of my cabinets. I screwed wood strips to the walls, including the RV walls. My RV walls are about 1+" thick so as long as the screws do not protrude more than about 1/2 inch beyond the strip, they will not go through the wall. The inner layer of wood is only about an eighth of an inch thick so longer screws don't buy you anything. Use lots of screws to distribute the load.

My shelves are plywood, about 3/16" thick and just sit on the wooden strips. I did attach a wooden strip to the exposed front of the shelves.

I don't know how your RV is built so try a test screw in some obscure place. Your walls are probably a similar thickness since AFAIK all RVs have about the same thermal insulating properties.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory