cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a Resort REALLY a Resort & is a Park REALLY a Park or??

Keeter59
Explorer
Explorer
We all have probably run into this problem. We check a website and it looks great. We plan to stay 3 or 4 days and when we get there it is NOTHING like what it looked like on the website. I have been working for almost a year on an EXHAUSTIVE project that lists RV Parks & Resorts. I am tired of pulling into a "big-rig" friendly place that maybe go-cart friendly at most. If anyone is interested let me know. I might try to publish this project. It includes an Excel Spreadsheet cross-referenced to places I have marked on Google Earth. A Resort should be a Resort and a Park should be a Park and a Campground should be a Campground and a hell-hole should NOT be any of the aforementioned.
By the way, if any of you use Google Earth to check out a site, if you use the date of satellite passover tool you can see if the same vehicles have been there for an extended period. You can learn a lot with Google Earth and whether or not the site has long-termers or permanents.
Again, if anyone wants to help with this endeavor let me know. It is mainly for 40" and larger rigs which is where I feel "Big Rigs" start.
58 REPLIES 58

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We have also used Google Earth and most of the review sites to look at a campground. Like several posters mentioned, we really don't need it to be a 'RESORT', just clean. We are self contained and we can put down the shades and enjoy the interior of our coach.

One of the main issues for me is that I like for the road in the RV park to be paved if at all possible (not always a choice). The dust that a large RV creates is quite a lot. It doesn't matter of the pad is concrete but is nice if it is too.

A park that we've stayed in twice in Odessa, TX, (Mesquite RV Park) is one of those dusty places. The pull-through sites are nice and long but really nothing else. They do have a pond with a fountain in the middle for 'ambiance'.

The problem is with the dust. When the dew comes in the morning and all the oil workers leave early for their jobs, all the of the dust and dirt stick to the dew. Absolutely filthy.

But, there are not always a lot of choices, especially, in that area.

Keeter59, hope that your project is moving forward, it would be nice to have another reference.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Google Earth several times to see what an RV park looks like IF I have never been there. Only one problem if the RV park is up in the mountains, next to a lake. Google Earth will only show a picture up to the entrance where the security gates are. It really does not go into the park to check the sites.

But it is a good idea to see how the roads are to the entrances.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Godsey97
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
I hate to say it, but when you're traveling cross country you just have to bear and grin it. IMO, the nicer the rig you got, the less you have to bear it. Put the slides out, draw the shades, and enjoy the FHU's.

It really is no different then hoteling it. You can check the room out first, but if you're tired and it's the only place around, well....

We have stayed at all kinds of places. I agree with the post that I quoted. When we had our Hybrid we had to bear it quite a bit. Now with our Class A. We can pull the shades, turn on the fireplace/furnace/AC as appropriate, turn on the TV and never give the outside world another thought. Sometimes I want to go rip-n-run with the party crowd in CG's, other times I just want some peace and quiet. Nice to have that choice. I do agree, however, that it is disappointing to arrive and not see anything like appeared on the internet or their pamphlet.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We are self contained. If I am staying one or two nights "anything" will do, electric preferred a sense of security required. I don't see the benefit of water if there is no onsite sewer. I carry my own. Once we settle in we close the blinds and we could be anyplace.

For longer stays I am inclined to do more research because I might care about amenities. I generally would rather not pay for a high end resort. If I am near a city I expect to pay more for less space and sometimes will put up with pretty minimal, like Liberty Harbor Marina and RV Park across the Hudson from Manhattan. It is basically a parking lot with water and electric hookups, but where else can you stay 15 minutes from Manhattan for $80 a night and walk to the ferry right on premises?
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Beauty is in the eye off the beer holder. I looked up The Refuse in Lake Havasue. I wouldn't stay there. What some consider the best of the best is their own opinion. Actually The Refuge is the first one I would check off the list. It is not the best of the best in my opinion. It does appear to be a nice RV golf destination if you have a Class A over 30' long and less than 15 years old otherwise you ain't getting in.
I applaud your efforts but think it may be very subjective. When I look for parks I look for over all value. A park like The Refuge is of no value to me and appears to be a bit snooty.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
If we were getting perfection at each park price would be closer to $100 dollars per night.

Pogoil

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Keeter59 wrote:
Bil Satellite - Good point about the 99% but thats ok with me. There are places to stay all within a half days drive or less anywhere in the US. Again, parks are divided into different categories dependent on what they offer and how they look. You may not be able to or want to stay in a Platinum location but you will be able to find somewhere to stay that for sure will fit your needs if you have a big-rig; TRULY Pull-Thru, TRULY Full-Hookups and TRULY Big Rig FRIENDLY. If you prefer a Coyote Ugly site just for the night, it's on there. Basically, all I have done is visited tons of sites that rate these parks & used their input, I also visualized them on Google Earth and gleaned as much info from that as well. I have done my best to ensure they fit the needs of Big Rig, Full Hookups and appear to be the nicest in their area. Basically, according to me as interpreted from tons of ratings these parks ARE the best of the best in the area they are located in.

While I think your intentions are good and many may find your info valuable. The reality is we are not buying the parks but for the most part just staying a few days.
There is little disparity in the true destination parks. It is the more out of the way places where the gray areas exist. But if you have a need to be in Havre De Grace, MD than you take what is available plain and simple. There is no need to do lots of research on the matter.
Some places will always be better than others. As long as the place is safe and has functional hook ups. I can find a way to make it work for a few days.
While I appreciate a nice paved, well landscaped spot as much as everyone. I am not seeking perfection at each stop.
I find a simple review with RV parks .com or RV Parky and I can find out all I need to know. If something is questionable I may call.
But I don't need full military reconnaissance of the RV park.
All the details just aren't that important. I'm not buying I'm just staying a few days.
In the end I'm more motivated by convenience than amenities. Any site that I can somehow maneuver into with 50 amps will do.
Sure an extra large pull through site is better but if the Resort/park/campground is not located convenient to my ultimate destination it doesn't matter.
Once you've been through the circuit a time or two, I find choosing a camping spot is really not that complicated.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as rvparkreviews and rvparky goes, it's all pretty subjective. The person making the report has their opinion. And there's always the unscrupulous competitor that sticks in an occasional bad review.

Example: Fal-Net RV Park in Flanders NJ. RVParky reviewers gave this place a 5 star rating. RVParkReviews ratings reflected reality a bit better with the majority of reviews being average to terrible. We stayed here for 2 nights on our way to Hatteras because it was close to family we wanted to visit. It is an old tired park with lot of permanent residents.

The DW believes that staying only at KOAs is the answer. I like a bit more variety and will throw in a boondock every once in a while.

As long as I'm on this soap-box, I'll say what I'm sure some posters to this thread are thinking; People with big rigs have a higher standard of what's acceptable, especially those big riggers that just plunked down a few hundred thousand for their latest fling and thought that spending a lot of money would fix everything.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
J-Rooster wrote:
The Refuse RV Resort and it is also long RV friendly and is built around a Arnold Palmer Golf Course. Hope this helps you!

Not sure I'd stay at an RV resort named Refuse.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
Rvparkreviews website already has a checkbox for whether a park is big rig friendly.
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
SIXTY THREE FEET? And everybody else is wrong?

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
We are 63 ft with the car trailer, and are full time. We to have been screwed by the come ons. If staying for awhile we don't mind dropping the trailer to fit in a smaller site. For just a day or two it's a pia. Now we always call ahead and get a name and verbal on the access. We also have been assured of site length only to find it was impossible manerver into the site. More then once we have said no thanks and moved on. We always call ahead.?
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google earth showing the same rigs doesn't mean a dump. What about all the parks with snowbirds and all the seasonal sites. The same rig may be parked for 6 months at a time.

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at this app RV PARKY campsites, fuel, Walmarts, state parks and more. Very interesting app.
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY